Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)

Old 01/05/2008, 10:39 PM
ghetto retro

elmhurst area, where to go for best acro/fish selection

I happen to be staying at elmhurst tonight and im wondering what the closest store would be with a great selection of sps and fish. I want my gf to select some new corals as well as some fish for my tank, any and all help would be appreciated. So far i see advanced aquatics is about 11 miles away, i would like to stay within a 15 mile radius. Ill check back on this thread tomorrow morning. If anyone in the area has some extra colorful sps, preferably colonies please post up as i might be able to pick that up. pictures are a plus.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:03 PM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

living seas
Old 01/05/2008, 11:18 PM
ghetto retro

The fish selection there is nice but way overpriced and i really dont feel like looking at tank after tank of brown sps corals, thanks for the suggestion though, so far advanced seems to be it.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:47 PM
Tank Collector

Reef Depot is close to there.... Well close enough... Theyre in Villa Park / Lombard...

I dont remember their site though... I think its reefdepot.net ???
Old 01/06/2008, 01:30 AM
Any rare SPS for sale?

Yea it is reefdepot.net and he is having a sale this weekend too. I want to get back there tomorrow. I heard the new colonies of SPS he got in were sweet. That place is hard on my wallet but makes my tank nice on my eyes.

Best thing you could do is get up read this thread and make sure you go after me!
Old 01/06/2008, 01:35 AM
Tank Collector

All you need to do is look at Teds other thread about "WOW the colors..."

Thank god the place is by appointment only.... I work on Route 83 and St. Charles Road, that could be a REALLY bad combo once the 180 is setup...
Old 01/06/2008, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

i think Scott's Pet Shop is around there?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Tropiquatics Lombard Address: 426 S Main Lombard IL; Telephone: (630)953-2696

If you go to Advanced check out Beyond the Reef Schaumburg

http://www.beyondthereef.org/
Old 01/06/2008, 11:26 AM
g l a s s b o x

jose, beyond the reef is right next to AA and would be worth a stop.

they're a bit pricey, but their livestock is healthy. ask for jeff the owner, he's a good guy.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/06/2008, 12:46 PM
ghetto retro

ok so it seems like ill probably be headed to advanced aquatics. The gf does not want to go too far and distract too much from her shopping. i guess ill try to convince her about beyond the reef. Now, who has gone to old town lately? i heard they have a bunch of smaller angels in?
Old 01/06/2008, 06:07 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Coral Reef has some nice acros in lately, for a good price.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:52 AM
ghetto retro

Will never shop at coral reef again, sorry Jeni but i wasnt too thrilled when that one angelfish wiped out all my fish. Im barely finishing my qt, no fish in my system for over 6 weeks now. I knew i was risking it by buying there but at the same time i now choose not to shop there, no matter what. I ended up going to Advanced aquatics but they pretty much got wiped out in 2 days. they got in a shipment friday and by today there wasnt much left. I was able to score a nice blue hoke colony though so it wasnt a total washout. Fish selection was a let down though, not much around. I will be visiting old town aquarium this week to see if i can get ahold of a nice fish.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

beyond the reef is next to allot of stores you could try to convince her with that.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Theyre in Villa Park / Lombard
Villa Park is the next town over, no brainer.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dohc97
Will never shop at coral reef again, sorry Jeni but i wasnt too thrilled when that one angelfish wiped out all my fish. Im barely finishing my qt, no fish in my system for over 6 weeks now. I knew i was risking it by buying there but at the same time i now choose not to shop there, no matter what. I ended up going to Advanced aquatics but they pretty much got wiped out in 2 days. they got in a shipment friday and by today there wasnt much left. I was able to score a nice blue hoke colony though so it wasnt a total washout. Fish selection was a let down though, not much around. I will be visiting old town aquarium this week to see if i can get ahold of a nice fish.
That may be a colony I brought to Advanced, blue Hoeksemai about three inches?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:17 AM
ghetto retro

Yes but it seems to be 3 separate stalks growing on the plug? I was told this came from bali and it has all the looks of having come from the sea. Maybe you brought in the other one? there was one more hoeksemai that was a single stalk about 3 inches. both looked good but i took the bigger one.