Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)

Old 12/21/2007, 01:36 PM
Moved On

200 gallon plus put together thread

Kyle (dew2loud1) and i purchased this tank out here in utah. we are going to try to bring our corals and fish we are keeping out here for it.

So we bought a tank. Which supposedly was 280 gallons. it is actually more like 200 gallons. apparently the guy measured wrong. It is 4 ft by 3ft by 25 inches tall.

So first off we moved my 72 bowfront from my linoleum floor into the living room where my 45 tall used to be. The 45 was torn down and the bowfront was reset up. We are waiting until it goes through it's mini cycle to put the fish and corals back in

Next we had to set up the stand in the old 72 spot. Keys to a good stand.

*must hold tank
*must hold two dogs and sump

picture of the tank on the stand

bangaiis hanging out in their temporary home.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:41 PM
We'll get 'em next year!

Aww look @ those good girls sitting up on that stand!
They must be trained really well
Old 12/21/2007, 02:06 PM
Moved On

they do anything for liver treats!
Old 12/21/2007, 02:47 PM
We'll get 'em next year!

Tank loves Liver Treats but they give him gas
Nice tank BTW, I like the dimensions.
Are you shooting for a particular "theme" for this tank ie, SPS or LPS dominated reef?
Old 12/21/2007, 04:14 PM
Pingy Pingy!

that's outstanding! Look at their butts in the second picture of them though. They couldn't have more than 1/4lb of weight on it as they look like they're ready to GET THEIR TREAT NOW!

Kyle was talking about your lighting. 3'x4' makes it an easier decision now. I'd stick those two MH's he has over it and stack a 2-4 T5's in there as well (a couple actinic, couple normal). It should cover nicely.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Love the pictures of the dogs. You can tell you have a treat the way they are both looking at one pt.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:00 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by RokleM
that's outstanding! Look at their butts in the second picture of them though. They couldn't have more than 1/4lb of weight on it as they look like they're ready to GET THEIR TREAT NOW!

Kyle was talking about your lighting. 3'x4' makes it an easier decision now. I'd stick those two MH's he has over it and stack a 2-4 T5's in there as well (a couple actinic, couple normal). It should cover nicely.
yes i am kind of glad. plus with the size it is now it looks HUGE in my 2 bedroom duplex. i couldnt imagine another foot deeper.

It's amazing the things you can get dogs to do for treats!
Old 12/21/2007, 08:03 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by porky
Tank loves Liver Treats but they give him gas
Nice tank BTW, I like the dimensions.
Are you shooting for a particular "theme" for this tank ie, SPS or LPS dominated reef?
with a boxer ive found that gas is going to happen no matter what i feed her. she burps, farts and snores. such a lady.

I know kyle wants to do SPS, i dont think we are going to dominate it with sps though. i'd like to do a lot of lps. maybe just the sinularia for a leather. Sps kind of scares me as ive seen many tanks have one parameter fall and they lose a whole sps tank. Lps seems to live through a lot and isnt so unstable. My little green stick though i have in my 72 bowfront is growing on me. it seems to grow literally in front of my eyes from day to day. we picked up some REALLY nice pieces of lace rock today for shelves. im really excited!
Old 12/23/2007, 03:09 PM
Moved On

Well after a long two days of hooking up plumbing and getting enough water made things are finally starting to fall into place.

The 72 is all back together and the fish are loving the new rockwork

the big tank cycling with water
Old 12/23/2007, 03:16 PM
Moved On

Geo Skimmer

OM 4 way

all the returns
Old 12/23/2007, 03:24 PM
Moved On

look how ripley!!!

front view of rockwork

side view of rockwork
Old 12/23/2007, 03:27 PM
Moved On

tank shot. we are going to work on skinning the stand today. hopefully all goes well!
Old 12/23/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

I like the big canyon!
Aquascaping is my least favorite part of setting up a tank because I am never satisfied with it.

Anyway what is your stock list and what is going to be your first fish?
Old 12/23/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

oh ya more pics!
Old 12/23/2007, 04:17 PM
Moved On

it is my least favorite too!!! for now im satisfied. the fish will be able to swim the whole perimiter of the tank for a total of 14 feet of unobstructed swimming room, and there is also the canyon down the middle which gives them like 5 more feet. As for the stock list there was a separate thread for that but since the tank ended up being 80 gallons less than what we were expecting that is going to change. as for fish we already have that will be eventually going in this system include

scribbled rabbitfish 4 inches
orange shoulder tang 2 inches
flame hawk
yellow belly hippo tang 3 inches
regular hippo tang 4 inches
two true percs and their bubble tip
two skunk clowns and their anemone
and thats it for fish we already have

i'd like to add some anthias havent decided on bartlets or dispars yet, and about 5 or so wrasses. along with a mated pair of bangaiis, a lieutenent tang, and possibly and achilles depending on if the LFS gets any more in. i'd like to add all the tangs smaller 3 inches or so other than the achillies i'd like to get about 5 inches. that way they all grow up together and hopefully there wont be much agression towards the achilles. we would also like to add a magnificent. we'll see how that goes though. its going to take a while to get this tank to where i'd like it, and patience is hard! lol
most of the rock was uncured, but it was very clean with no decaying matter on it. we also have about 50 lbs of fully cultured live rock and about 50 lbs of fully cultured sand in the refugium. we are going to be doing a bare bottom tank b/c it is acrylic and i dont want to take the chance of scratching the acrylic with a sand particle.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:00 AM
Team RC Member

I know it's probably a little late but I would highly suggest moving the OM further from the pump. Sequence pumps are not pressure rated so the closer you restrict flow to the outlet of the pump the more the flow is reduced. By adding more space between the pump and the OM your flow will be greatly increased and your pump won't work as hard.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:06 AM
Moved On

there is a pipe that leads away that is an always on. this is before the OM. is it being this close still a problem? if you look at the picture its the one with the gate valve.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:15 AM
Team RC Member

None of it is really a problem, you are just not using your pump to it's fullest potential. IME I did some testing and found that any tee, elbow or bend within 1.5' of the pump outlet greatly effected output. I actually go 2' before a manifold on my system feed pump (dart). I did the same thing on my CL with a Dart and OM 4-way on my 75. On the CL the pump sits on the ground behind the tank and goes strait up along the back, then feeds into the OM at water level.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:37 PM
Moved On

I was wondering about that, but this is the way it was already setup when we bought it, actually the guy had a dart and changed it to a snapper because he thought it was too much flow,

From what I understand the snapper and dart are identical aside from the impeller so all I would have to do is exchange the impeller for a dart impeller and be back up to the 3600 gph mark.

I would have set it up a little different, but at least the return nozzles in the tank are the jacuzzi style so then can be rotated 360 degrees

Keep the suggestions coming......
Old 12/24/2007, 08:53 PM
Moved On

We put a 400w radium 20k above it to see how it would look. we are planning on doing two 400w halides along with a couple T5 HO actinics.
front view

front right corner

right side
Old 12/24/2007, 08:57 PM
Moved On

left side

orange shoulder hanging out in his temporary home =)
Old 12/24/2007, 11:06 PM
Moved On

some pictures with the skinning almost complete. we are holding the boards on with industrial velcro. so everything is removeable and you can access under the stand. i think we are going to put some fake doors on the front with handles to break up the space

Old 12/24/2007, 11:10 PM
Moved On

Old 12/24/2007, 11:37 PM
Moved On

the infamous cavern!!! it looks a lot like utah.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:50 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
well here is the update. we are finishing up staining the canopy. it is pretty much going to touch the ceiling. two lumenbrights should be in my this weekend which will house 2x400w radium 20k's. we should also have the mesh this weekend. 1/4 inch so no wrasses can escape! currently in the tank are 3 chromis', a pair of pink skunks, a cleaner wrasse, and about 500 heads of frogspawn (no joke) i'll get a picture up soon

here is a link to the reflectors we are using
http://www.aquacave.com/images/lumenbrite11.jpg