Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona-Sierra Vista/Tucson Reef Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Old style frag auction get together

Hey are there enough of the old group left to have a frag auction? I know a lot have left the area, downsized or got out, but if there is enough interest lets set one up in January or February. That will give all time to get frags ready and there should be enough Christmas gifts out there that need stocking/supplies. I have some cool SPS I can frag but don't need to unless there's an auction set up.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

We already have a frag auction once a month at Thunder Canyon Brewery.
Old 11/26/2007, 05:33 PM
Always Learning

I wouldn't mind getting together and doing some SPS trading.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 11/26/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Bifferwine, yes you do and you want $5 to attend, you have a group meet before the meet to discus the path/goals/direction of ACRO. As stated above "Old style frag auction get together"
Old 11/26/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I am up for it John...

Bifferwine--- you are right on the monthly meeting at TCB but some like a less formal type swap/auction with a hang out type atmosphere.

Not knocking what you guys are doing now I attended the last frag auction and I liked it but in the old days we hung out at someones house drank beer discussed reefing and really got to know each other and made friends. We really dont have a big enough reefing community to have such a formal meeting each time. Sooner or later without new reefers we would all be swapping out the same old corals and it will become tiresome and more about what you can sell and not about embracing the hobby we all love.

I am here to help in any way I can to ge this meet started, count me in John-y-Boy.

Michael
Old 11/27/2007, 01:28 PM
...da Purple People Eater

I'm game. I would like to see the events take place again but at a consistent location on a consistent basis, with some set of parameters and rules.

I will look into some of this with others and discuss it here later. There is certainly an interest in doing this John, as I have been in contact with many members of the original group and several new members as well.
Cheers
Old 11/28/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucson Reef
Bifferwine, yes you do and you want $5 to attend, you have a group meet before the meet to discus the path/goals/direction of ACRO. As stated above "Old style frag auction get together"
For the record, I have nothing to do with ACRO, or their policies. I just attend. So it's unfair to say "Yes you do, and you want $5 to attend." I just show up.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

"We already have a frag auction" ????
Old 11/28/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

As in the Tucson community. I wasn't sure if you were aware of it or not. You know, there is a chance that you hadn't heard of the monthly ACRO meets, and I was just letting you know about them. Why so unfriendly and, frankly, flat out rude/mean? You could have just said, "Yeah I know about those, and don't feel like paying the money that ACRO asks for." No wonder nobody on these boards can seem to get a regularly meeting Tucson reef club going long-term. For some reason, there always seems to be a lot of antagonism, finger pointing, and general rudeness in this community. I really don't get it.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

As best as I know, 2$ is what is voluntarily contributed to the waitress hosting our group and $3 if you want to help with ACRO but none of it is required. Its not like club dues :-)
Old 11/30/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Sierra Vista/ Tucson Reef Keepers

I'm also game. Are we looking for a location? LMK
Old 11/30/2007, 07:51 PM
Always Learning

I am going to try and find a location for us, hopefully one that works for everyone. If you have any suggestions let me know. I think it would be cool to get together and have some frag trading and such.

Old 12/01/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Just for some clarification, ACRO does not charge a fee or any dues. All the money accepted thus far was done by donation.

I also want to point out that we have had NEW faces at each of our meets. This is a growing community!

I'm unsure why "Some People" feel the need to try to sidestep something that we have put forth a good effort to create. The "old" group meet on a whim and there were usually discussions as to where the meet was going to be held all the way up until the last few days before the meet. What ACRO is doing is bringing some stability to the Tucson and surrounding area reefers so that we can have these meets, hang out, drink beer, and discuss our hobby, which we do every time. If you haven't attended an ACRO meet I would suggest you do so. You might find that you actually like it. There is no reason we can't have a meet at someones house if they are up to volunteer. ACRO is not "planted" to one idea or one location, in fact a Show and Tell meet at someones house would be great.

Thank you Bifferwine and Bones for stepping up and being heard.
To all the others be on the look out for our post on the next meet.
Thank you all for your support.

-Tommy
Old 12/01/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Hey, I will be back in town the weekend before Christmas. I didn't see any prospective dates. If I am in town, I wouldn't mind hanging out for awhile. I still have a few dry goods that I would like to get rid of before I move my stuff out here to Orange County.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

ACRO's next meet is December 16th @ the Thunder Canyon Brewery details will be posted shortly
Old 12/02/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Colophon- I don't think anyone was trying to "sidestep" anything ACRO has done thus far.

TucsonReef started this thread with the sole purpose of having a get together with some of the old reefers and have a trade/auction.

He never mentioned anything about not attending acro or even comparing this meet with acro. Bifferwine chimed in with the acro event that takes place.

Bottom line, this auction/trade meet has nothing to do with acro and is just a friendly get together for some of the older members of RC and anyone who would like to attend and enjoy the company of other reefers.

I dont think it was cool to advertise your ACRO auction on this thread as you could have started a new thread and not "sidestep" this one.

Michael
Old 12/02/2007, 06:22 PM
Always Learning

I don't think anyone was trying to offend the ACRO people, this is just something different and has nothing to do with trying to "sidestep" the other meeting.

Do people want to meet up on the North end of Tucson or more toward the campus area? I am going to try and find a place if I can, so voice your opinion on where the meet should be.

Zach- It is going to suck not having you around.

Old 12/02/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucson Reef

In my opinion this sounds like a negative remark aimed at ACRO.
Obviously it sounded that way to others as well.

"Bottom line, this auction/trade meet has nothing to do with acro and is just a friendly get together for some of the older members of RC and anyone who would like to attend and enjoy the company of other reefers."

This is the whole point of ACRO!
Old 12/02/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Smile Location,location,location

If we're doing Old Timers I believe we should try to keep the event as far south as possible. I believe this all started as a Sierra Vista Forum and Tucson joined in years ago. This will shorten there drive and the Sahuarita people will be closer. So the campus area might be best, or someplace close to a freeway ramp further south. Were here if you need help.

P.S.- unless you want to bbq in Jan.!!!!
Old 12/02/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Posted twice ... oops
Old 12/02/2007, 07:14 PM
Always Learning

Lol, I would totally be down for a bbq in January. I have to go to San Fran for xmas break so it would be cool to come back and have a get together. It would also give me a little time to grow out some of the coral in my tank.

Old 12/02/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I started this thread for as stated"Old style frag auction", I am accused of being rude by Bifferwine, who claims she thought I was not aware of ACRO's existence. ACRO's all over this forums first page, so my belief was that her comment was a rude, curt way of saying we already have a auction, take it or leave it. Colerphon, I have never met you that I know of and don't care to. You have your ACRO group, that's fine, why so paranoid to have to post in this thread about your ACRO meets. I like the old style, informal get together without the politics of ego's. Oh and before this gets out of hand, this is my last post on the whys and where to's of starting this thread and my alleged rudeness!
Old 12/03/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Wow Jon! You are really good at starting these arguments. This stuff is better than the soaps!
Old 12/03/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

rotflmao, thats what I hate about the internet, people only see the posts, not the background. I stay off of here most of the time, just wanted to get an informal auction going. Got some cool LE's, but don't need to frag them for give aways. Did you really get a good offer, cola's way high out there. Yea, we should put a garage sale, fish type together. I've got lights, skimmers, powerheads and so on. We are down to two tanks, Reef and Discus. Bring me a nice Yellow Tort Frag when you come back.
Old 12/03/2007, 11:06 PM
Always Learning

Don't worry about it John, stuff happens, I honestly think it would be really nice to all get together and just hang without any of the drama. Sometimes I wonder why this hobby brings out the ego in so many people, its about enjoyment and having a good time. I love interacting with the people who are in this area and I know others do as well. So lets just let things go and come together so that we can all benefit from each others experience and knowledge. John, Zach, Sarah, Chris, Mike and Tommy are all knowledgeable reefers that anyone can learn from, so lets put that to good use rather than putting it toward seperation.