Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

A few Aptaisa

Seem to have a few Aptaisa.

I'd like to try boiling water first, where can I get a needle to inject them with? I wouldn't think you can just walk into a Walgreens and pick up a box or can I?

I'm sure it is Aptaisa but here is a photo just in case.

Old 09/27/2007, 10:51 AM
Set it up

Yep that is aptasia. I use the syringe out of the salifert test kits
Old 09/27/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

I have some extra syringes. Let me know if you want one.
American Staffordshire Terriers
Old 09/27/2007, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

My wife reminded me that we have something for injecting marinade into chicken.

Thanks for the offer and I'll be sure to contact you if this thing I have is to big.
Old 09/27/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

What's so bad about having aptasia?
Old 09/27/2007, 06:25 PM
Zookeeper

^ I didn't think that the few I had were a problem. Now they're spreading fairly quickly. I don't want them stinging other corals.
Old 09/27/2007, 06:29 PM
Set it up

they really are a pita if they get out of hand but a CBB is great for keeping the
in check if you have a big Enough tank for one
Old 09/27/2007, 07:35 PM
][D][][V][][D

I use an insulin syringe (my cat is diabetic) and inject them with distilled white vinegar--works like a charm!!
Old 09/27/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Aiptasia are opportunistic. They multiply quickly and take ove r a tank stinging and harming corlas.
Old 09/27/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

I have used vinegar (both distilled and balsamic) very effectively. I have also used lemon juice with good results. You need to inject the stem with a small amount to ensure a kill. I found that engulfing the water around the head will only stun the aptasia. You need to stick it, that's why the small needle. The tiny amount of acid that I used did not effect the pH of my 26 gal tank at all; don't worry about a pH change.

At first I tried a syringe with large hypodermic needle and squirted the hole it retracted into, but had better luck with a small needle. EvilE had a good suggestion--using a insulin syringe, but purchasing one may be a problem since they are sold in large amounts. Several Pharmacsists did not want to spend time with me for a $1.00 syringe. It might be very easy for you to ask a diabetic friend if they have an extra. I bought my syringes at an old fashioned, tack and feed store for $0.78 each. You may want to try a veterinarian (per EvilE suggestion).

About a year ago I had good luck with a Peppermint Schrimp eating the Aptasia. But after the Aptasia were gone I thought the shrimp were starving so I returned the shrimp to the LFS. About 8 months later I discovered new Aptasia and bought two new Peppermint shrimp---I haven't seen them, but I have seen the Aptasia. I think that some shrimp will help you and others won't.

In my opinion, now is the time to rid your tank. They are like Dandylions with a stinger; pretty to look at but.....

Good luck.
Old 09/28/2007, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

The injection methods work but path of least resistance is to start by trying pepp shrimp (if you don't have fish that'll eat them).

I've seen them for around 7 bucks on my occasional trips to the valley, much less online. Seems from people's reports that some eat the aptaisia, some don't, so buy a few. They do not need aptaisia to survive, though, so they'll do fine after/if they clean up your tank.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

I agreee pepermint shrimp do a nice job for me together with kalk paste on the larger ones.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

tmz---How do you make kalk paste? Or do you buy it already made? Is it Joe's Juice? How do you use it?
Old 09/28/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Take some lime(kalwasser mix) mix it with fresh water to the consistancy of heavy milk. It will paste/gel up once it hits the salt water. It's pretty much the same in it's effect as Joe's Juice (calcium hydroxide). Small amounts will not effect your ph too much. Apply with a small syringe by dribbling it into the aiptasia in low current. cover the aiptasia as thoroughly as you can.
Old 09/28/2007, 11:21 AM
I read your email

if you have some on a little rock I would love it. Part of my tank build will be a fuge/aptasia farm. I am going to put a aptasia farm in my overflow

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 09/28/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soni
if you have some on a little rock I would love it. Part of my tank build will be a fuge/aptasia farm. I am going to put a aptasia farm in my overflow
Don't you think that they will eventually get into the display?
Old 09/28/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Sorry this is the 70lb. rock its on and I'm not given it up

Old 09/28/2007, 12:07 PM
I read your email

Quote:
Originally posted by toejammy
Don't you think that they will eventually get into the display?
Not with about 200watts of UV running after the fuge

check out http://reefvideos.com/ they have a excellent video on water polishing. it's the fuge video

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 09/28/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

The picture of the 70 lb Arizonareefer rock got a lol, and since I have dial-up only, I didn't even see the whole picture. (I think that it is still loading up.)

tmz---Thanks for the mix-tip. I'll give it a try. I don't have many visible aptasias, maybe 3 or 4.

Can someone help me with posting a picture? Do I just "copy and paste" a picture into the dialogue box?

For an old-timer I'm fairly new to this stuff.
Old 09/28/2007, 12:27 PM
I read your email

you need to upload it to a web site then you use [.img] [./img] code at the end of the picture url.

example (no . ) [.img]http://www.somewebsite.com/yourimage.jpg[./img]

Last edited by soni; 09/28/2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09/28/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Not with about 200watts of UV running after the fuge

check out http://reefvideos.com/ they have a excellent video on water polishing. it's the fuge video
Very cool, and good info!
Old 09/28/2007, 01:52 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Soni, there were some pretty cool ideas in that video - thanks. I'm getting a new sump soon and going to try to incorporate a "benthic" zone. I'm not worried about aiptasia making it back, my CBB will love me for it. He cleared my tank of several hundred (if you see several hundred, you probably have a couple thousand ) in no time.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 09/28/2007, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Owen2thebank
The picture of the 70 lb Arizonareefer rock got a lol, and since I have dial-up only, I didn't even see the whole picture. (I think that it is still loading up.)

tmz---Thanks for the mix-tip. I'll give it a try. I don't have many visible aptasias, maybe 3 or 4.

Can someone help me with posting a picture? Do I just "copy and paste" a picture into the dialogue box?

For an old-timer I'm fairly new to this stuff.
Sorry about the size, I shouldn't have assumed that everyone has cable access.

Tried to go back and make it small but its been more than 60 min.
Old 09/28/2007, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

I have decided to give peppermint shrimp a try, Just called "About the Reef" they have some and I will pick one up on the way home or should I get two? I assume the ones they have may be pretty small @ $7.99 each?
Old 09/28/2007, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

I'm also going to be p***ed if the shrimp stumbles across that crab that I mentioned in my other post. I think I know who would win that fight.

Now I'm questioning if a shrimp is a good idea?