Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 05/03/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy I have a Leather problem too

I have mixed sps, lps, and softies in my 150. Everything is doing good, acros, montis, bubbles, xenia, zoes, ect, EXCEPT my leathers, neon mumps, yellow, other fingers and tree corals (there is plenty of water flow and they have done good in the past). Water measurments were off initially, then i readjusted everything back close to specs.... Kh 110, Calcium 430, Ph 8.3, and no ammonia, nitrates, nitrites (I currently dont test for phosphates or treat them because I dont have much of a green algea problem, tons of purple corileen
Old 05/03/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Continued

( Continued from above. sorry)
I just recently did a few 15 percent back to back water changes (Might have adjusted water too quickly???) .... Its been almost a week now and the only problem I can think of is my magnesium. I bought a test kit and tested it. It reads very low, under 100ppm. Could this possibly affect the leathers??? I tried to add some kent magnesium additive and it seemed to get worse. I am using the Salifert magnesium test kit and am sure im doing it right. Unless the test isn't working properly and I have way too much magnesium and am just burning my leathers. Im not really sure what else could be wrong. Any help would be great.
Old 05/03/2006, 10:38 PM
Here's lookin at you

If you're getting a magnesium reading of under 100ppm then something is definately wrong, you should have around 1300- 1350ppm. You might want to retest. Also 110 kh is way off, should be around 8dkh or 2.9 meg/l. Again retest there is no way you are getting this reading. If those readings are correct then everything in your tank is toast. The problem with the leathers could possibly be chemical warfare with the sps and lps. Also many LPS have sweeper tentacles which are generally seen at night these couls also be harassing your softies.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 05/04/2006, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

yea, its at 110 mg/l from the reading off my test kit. according to it 110 is ideal. Also it my leathers seem to be doing better little by little. could a rapid change in water specs affect leathers more than most other corals? Its got to be my magnesium. Ill have to go buy another test kit.
Old 05/04/2006, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Too High of Magnesium Frys Leathers!

High magnesium levels seem to affect leathers first. I figured how to use the test kit right, thanks to Habib, and now can stop frying my leathers with magnesium additives. Should have just left my tank alone and not even tested for magnesium I've never had a problem in the past and frequent water changes should be enough to raise it back up
Old 05/04/2006, 06:43 AM
Here's lookin at you

Not sure what you're refering to

Quote:
Too High of Magnesium Frys Leathers!
1300-1350ppm is natural saltwater level, and this where it should be maintaned in your tank. 430ppm CA is good.

What test kit are you using to measure ALK?

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 05/05/2006, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Its the Nutrafin test kit. Its what my local pet/reef shop carries... I think my mag was above 1500. This can't be good at all. Is there a quick way to reduce the magnesium levels in a tank?
Old 05/05/2006, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Ouch thats high for any tank much less a tank with soft corals in it. Water change(s) will be the safest method, ASAP! Magnesium gets used up pretty fast in a well stocked aquarium so monitor it carefully so the bottom doesn't drop out. You might want to check the chemistry forum, bertoni and Randy are extremely knowledgeable and might be able to provide you with a different solution.
Old 05/06/2006, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Sometimes corals close for a while. I have leathers that close but they always open up again.