Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

BK 200 deluxe vs H&S 200-1260

Set aside the cost issue. Which skimmer will be most efficient on a 150 sps heavy bio-load? It seems to me the BK pushes more air and uses less electricity. There are both the same size. Let me hear it skimmer experts...
Old 01/06/2008, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Apples and oranges my friend. Both will work great for your system and heard are strong performers. I personally can't tell you which to go with since I have never had the pleasure of owning either. But if I had the cash to burn I would go with the BK 200.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:32 PM
Limestone cowboy

Another vote for BK.
I dont think you'll think about another skimmer after you get the BK. Better desgn, Better pumps, Better warrantee, Better controll over the skimmer,Better performance.
Good luck with your decision, The H&S is no slacker, But against the BK deluxe the edge goes to BK. IMO
Old 01/06/2008, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

I have two Bubble Kings. In addition to the uncommonly wonderful Red Dragon pumps which use little power but more importantly generate virtually no heat, the BK design is really nice. But, these are large skimmers, mine is a year old and it has a large footprint (300 internal). Good skimmers are not cheap, but you tend to get what you pay for.

~Steve~
Old 01/06/2008, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Of course, I have not owned the H&S so my viewpoint is biased towards what I have and use.

~Steve~
Old 01/06/2008, 12:41 PM
Limestone cowboy

If youre looking for an in sump check the supermarines out. Around the same price as the 200 internal, But a little more bang for your buck with 2300 lph of air.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

What about the BK 200Mini for a 150 sps Heavy bio-load??
Old 01/06/2008, 01:31 PM
Limestone cowboy

I think that will work well too, But I still give the performance edge to the deluxe. Both will work well on youre system, But you wont regret spending the extra dough on the deluxe once you have it up and running. IMO
Old 01/06/2008, 01:33 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Creetin
I think that will work well too, But I still give the performance edge to the deluxe. Both will work well on youre system, But you wont regret spending the extra dough on the deluxe once you have it up and running. IMO
I think the supermarine internal is a strong contender that conical riser tube will be a nice feature.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:59 PM
Got Nog?

My vote would be the H&S. I have the external version of the one you are looking at. I once owned the BK mini 200 and had nothing but problems with the pump. By the way when the warranty runs out the replacement pump for the mini 200 is $780. I was told by Jeremy from PA, and Klaus that I had a low bioload and power problems thats why my pump wasn't working which was total BS!! They decided to test my skimmer and try to make me look like a liar. I just wanted a new pump but they had to make a big issue out of it. The replacement pump for the H&S is $350 which includes needle wheel, venturi ect. and it is a standard eheim pump without any mods. Eheims have such a high reputation for durability compared to the red dragons. If you ever do have any problems with the H&S pump, all you do is buy a standard eheim 1260 pump and transfer your needle wheel and other fittings from the defective H&S pump and you are ready to roll.

Here is the Bk mini 200 which never worked. This probably about 10 days of skimmate from a high bioload system.

This is the H&S A200-1260 which replaced the BK mini 200 on the same system which i was told I had power issues and too low of a bioload. Here are some action shots and about 5-7 days of skimmate.

Pair of Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Mitratus Butterfly
Tinkers Butterfly
Male Blue Flasher wrasse
Old 01/06/2008, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Deluxe 200 Internal – Performance is 1,000l/h of air and 2,000l/h of water.

Deluxe 250 Internal - Performance is 1,500l/h of air and 4,000l/h of water.

The BK Deluxe Skimmers with be offer with new Red Dragon II (Brushless DC/AC Pump with big motorblock will include a new needlewheel design, Siliziumcarbide-Gears, Harmetallshaft, Anti-Calziumline and Titanscrews.) as an upgrade starting in 08 per Klaus!!!

Also there is a BK Super Marines 200 to be relaesed in March of 08!!!

BK Super Marines 200 - Performance is air adjustable from 500l/h to 1,500l/h and water adjustable from 500l/h to 2,000l/h.

BK Super Marines 250 - Performance is air adjustable from 1,500l/h to 2,300l/h and water adjustable from 800l/h to 4,500l/h.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

I'm thinking to change my skimmer and I'd like to know if BK 200 internal may be a good choice.for my tank of 120g SPS and 9 hungry fishes (2 ocellaris, 5 anthias, 2 tangs) or its performance is too much over the load of my tank and I risk the crash of the system.

Hi Luca
Old 01/06/2008, 06:19 PM
Limestone cowboy

The mini or the deluxe? I dont know much about the mini's, But i have heard from a couple of people that really like them.
The deluxe will more than handle your tank!
Old 01/06/2008, 06:50 PM
clownfish fan

ATB cone should be included in the decision
Old 01/07/2008, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Creetin
The mini or the deluxe? I dont know much about the mini's, But i have heard from a couple of people that really like them.
The deluxe will more than handle your tank!
I'm thinking of the deluxe model. So you think it's too performer for my tank?

The new supermarine 200 internal model will be ok for my tank? If so I'll wait for it.

Hi Luca
Old 01/07/2008, 05:35 AM
Limestone cowboy

No, I mean it can handle your tank easily. You certainly can go with a 200 supermarine as well. If i had the choice to wait and get the supermarine i would, But you cant go wrong with a 200 deluxe either. Both will handle your tank.