Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/04/2008, 07:08 PM
Generic Member

Yup. Another blatant knock off. I think I'll stick with Tunze.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:22 PM
High Plains Drifter

So a company like Tunze invests its time and money into R&D, marketing, customer service, then some Chinese company steals their idea and puts in on the market for cheaper because they use slave labor to build it. They didn't even bother to make look different. And its good for the hobby? It sounds like its good for the Chinese thief who is sitting in his or her office laughing at Tunze.

Pretty soon REAL innovators like the Tunze family will stop building stuff for this hobby because the Chinese are just going to rip them off anyways.

I will also stick with Tunze.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Me 2, I'll stick with Tunze
Old 01/04/2008, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Me three!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:31 PM

THis may be good. It will drive down the prices. Com on Guys you can put together a MJmod for aroun 45.oo You dont think it is posable that the Tunze are just way over priced?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

wait.. I thought this was an american company, not chinese.

These pumps look really nice. I wonder if there will ever be a nano version
Old 01/04/2008, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janderson8
THis may be good. It will drive down the prices. Com on Guys you can put together a MJmod for aroun 45.oo You dont think it is posable that the Tunze are just way over priced?
I do have some mjs mod sureflow kits and love them too ... and their is a controller in the work for these too ... so stay tuned
Old 01/04/2008, 11:57 PM
Zooxanthallae Anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by won digity
wait.. I thought this was an american company, not chinese.

These pumps look really nice. I wonder if there will ever be a nano version
An American company (Pacific Coast Imports) imports them from the Chinese cloners a.k.a. copyright thieves. There's no law protecting copyrights and patents in China, so, they steal designs, sell pirated software in open air markets, etc. without fear of consequence, and, when they are shut down in some symbolic raid to "prove to America and the rest of the world they do respect international intellectual property laws", they just re-open a few weeks later in another location. And to think, this country gets our "most favored nation" trade status. They steal our designs, they steal our jobs by using what is essentially slave labor in their factories, that our greedy American corporations (Euros as well) are so happy to exploit for their benefit, and they have no regards for human rights to boot.
Oh, yeah, and how about their total lack of concern for product safety...they flood the market with knock-offs of Rx medications which don't work, they have manufactured tons of toys for Mattel and the like which were painted with LEAD based paints which have been recalled, and, then, there was the AquaDot recall, in which they used compounds which put several kids in comas because it converted to GHB when ingested. As a father of very young children, I find that particularly disturbing.

Oh well, I'm off my soapbox. Too bad everything you buy these days, no matter what company it's supposed to be made by, is really made in China or some third world country for dirt cheap and sold at a price as if it was made by a higher paid workforce. You just can't boycott them.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Last edited by Kirk_M; 01/05/2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

This pump does look interesting.... I guess for people who don't want to blow big $ on the Tunze this will be a good test piece.

I always thought of Tunze being good until I tried their 6025... eeek! Not the best bang for the buck IMO consider the quality. (Roger here is great at dealing with CS but in the Great White North it does not exist) It actually makes me think twice of getting these cheaper product - giving them a try first.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:57 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

That mount look a lot like the Seio mount where the ball allows the pump to tilt and swivel.

Anyone see these little rascals yet

http://www.riopump.net/new_products_...rop_parts.html

If this size claim is correct these might not be too bad. They are supposed to have one coming out with a wave maker.
3.5in x 1.9in x 2.3in
(8.3cm x 4.9cm x 5.9cm)
Old 01/05/2008, 01:03 AM
Generic Member

Is that a pump or a spy camera? I think Rio is ripping off this design from Panasonic!

J/K
Old 01/05/2008, 01:05 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

LOL You can hide a spy camera in your fish tank. Who would ever think to look there.

That one is only 500 gallons an hour but it looks pretty small.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:09 AM
Generic Member

Maybe its a pump AND a spy camera! I'd get one. I could keep an eye on the tank when I'm at work.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:56 AM
Limestone cowboy

For 150 off of tunze's they are worth a look, But at 50 bucks i'll stick with tunze's like the rest.

Oh and i think the rio is a spy camera, and a pump with a self destruct mechanism. LOL
Old 01/05/2008, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk_M
the Chinese cloners a.k.a. copyright thieves. There's no law protecting copyrights and patents in China, so, they steal designs, sell pirated software in open air markets, etc.
Not at all what happened here.

The patent on the Tunze went up years ago, nobody blatently copied a patent because there is no patent.

Tunze also doesn't seem to care about these pumps in the slightest.

If they keep the low price then they will sell, they wont be able to hold a price point $50 less then the original. I doubt they will ever go back up to the MSRP though.

Quote:
Originally posted by janderson8
Won't drive the prices down b/c tunze doesn't care. But yeah DC motors were invented before AC motors........ we uh should get a discount, not be punished.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 01/05/2008, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

I guess nobody is realy reading what I have been writing. The 50 savings is based on the price of the tunze 6100. This pumps are putting out more water then the 6100. I would compare it more to the 6200 so the saving would be more .
Old 01/05/2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

What is everyones Deal about the pumps being like the Tunze, Just about everything we have for this hobby is a modifided version of something else. The DAS skimmers are a copy of Deltic. All the controllers are copies of other controllers but with different features . Ballast, bulbs , tanks, skimmers are all different copies of each other. from what I has seen with this pump is yes it alot like a tunze but has had different things changed to it to make it more user friendly
Old 01/05/2008, 07:59 PM
High Plains Drifter

DAS licensed their designs from Deltec. They are an older style that Deltec no longer uses. Bought and paid for.

My problem is some company over in China is getting rich on other peoples hard work. Moreover, my problem is the acceptance across the board of this practice in all areas, not just this hobby. Our dollars are leaving this country and going there, helping their economy and hurting ours. If the playing field was level, and they weren't exploiting their people and turing them into slaves, it would be different. But they get ahead by cheating, and because their products are cheap, we let them slide. Maybe you don't see it this way, but this is the reality of China.

I suppose this isn't the greatest venue for expressing my opinions about the global economy, it just KILLS me to see everyone get so excited about saving $100 when they don't realize what it is doing to our economy, and how in 20 years, it will affect all of our lives.

I'll get off my soapbox, and not post in your thread any more. Enjoy your pumps and your $100 savings.

Jim
Old 01/05/2008, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Jim
I do agree with you on some of your points, but with all the rises is ,gas, electric , and everything going sky high in this country I will save money how I can as longs as I get the same quailty. Plus the same amount of money is going back into the US economy as if you where buying a Tunze pump.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Hi Reeftoker,

I to decided to try these units out and they are good units, sorry to say that they are a KO of Tunze and even worse that the pumps do work on a tunze controller 7095 and pump.

The price isn’t a big enough difference for a KO but still a good savings when buying 2 units. Tunze and there support that is stellar will probably be the 1st choice for many hobbyists. The Xwaves do perform so far, and it’s been several months. Customer Support is taken care by Pacific Coast in the USA so that shouldn’t be a problem.

There are more and more KO products that come out of China many are not as good as the original that they may have copied.Example the Aqua Excel skimmers "good price” and may LOOK like a Bubble King or H&S/Euro Reef/Deltec, but are definitely not at all the same by no means,the price will draw in the hobbyist that can not afford to pay the price for a Bubble King or H&S/Euro Reef/Deltec.
But I have to say that these Xwave units are preety good pumps and that is probably why there is not a big price difference.

Here is a pic of my tank with the Xwaves being used in the thread below.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1233083

Before you buy anything......Read and Research.

My Current tank Pic.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/ReefSalt/265Reef/?action=view&current=tankglass.jpg

Last edited by ReefSalt; 01/05/2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Whats the deal with price ???? $300 +++ !!!

For what they are asking for knock offs you can getr the Real thing.

So where is the deal ?

Old 01/05/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

right now the x-wave are priced ar 259.00 at custom Aquatics tunze 6101 354.00 that like 100.00 diference.

Last edited by Reeftoker; 01/05/2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:00 PM
I buy in bulk!

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftoker
right now the x-wave are priced ar 259.00 at custom Aquatics tunze 6101 354.00 that like 100.00 diference.
WP-PC-6800
Price $304.99
Model 6800 Xwave water pump from Pacifc Coast Imports. Flow rate: 5,000 to 12,0...more
..view similar products

It is not that far off from a Tunze and for the customer service from Roger it's worth it.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 01/06/2008, 06:49 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Yeah the price is $305 now. No way would I take a chance - just a few bucks more and you have Roger at your fingertips. Plus all the compatibility with controllers.

Maybe now that people see how hard it is to make a knockoff for half the price of a Tunze, people won't complain so much about Tunze's prices.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

What hard work? These things are motors with propellers on them.

What are the patents in question? The only Tunze related patents I could find were from the 70/80s. Copyright wouldn't play into this.

If anything that $300 dollars you are paying Tunze is $250 for their customer service and $50 for a pump. With the knockoff you may be paying $200 for a pump and uh.... well you may not get any customer service.

Personally I like the Chinese knockoffs to some extent, they keep the hobby more accessible (and grow the sector).