Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Sometimes the web just has too much info, just found this on aquahobby.com Which makes me question getting a shrimp just because of the aptasia

"Peppermint shrimp are very interesting to watch, but adding them to a reef tank is, in my opinion not a good idea. Shrimp in the Lysmata family have a well documented history of nipping, eating, or harassing desirable reef invertebrates. When food is scarce (or maybe not) corals and clams become "temporary" favorites to nip, eat, and harass. Recently these shrimp have become popular because they eat Aiptasia. The addition of these shrimp to the reef tank for the purpose of eating Aiptasia is ill advised in my opinion. We as good aquarists cannot expect these shrimp to eat just one type of cnidarian (the Aiptasia) while leaving other cnidarians (corals like the Xeniids) alone. Nature just does not work that way. More importantly, if you have problems with Aiptasia and use this shrimp to eat these nasty anemones, you are not addressing the problem (water flow and/or excess nutrients) which are allowing for the Aiptasia bloom in the first place. Instead, you are treating the symptoms by introducing this borderline reef safe invertebrate. I would recommend this shrimp for a fish only with live rock display, as they are really good cleaners, and can be very active in a non aggressive tank. From a reefer since the mid 80’s, back when they said keeping a reef system was impossible for the average aquarist."
Old 09/30/2007, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone ever heard of or used Berghia Nudibranchs for aptaisia?
Check out this site:
https://host298.ipowerweb.com/~salty...d22e0e3e8b3ed1

Chris
Old 09/30/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

When I discovered an aptasia on a rock in my new tank, I was thrilled and fed him twice a week for months! My very own coral!