Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)

Old 07/09/2007, 09:33 PM
I found Nemo...

AC has been out for last 24 hours...getting worried.

The A/C in our house went out middle of yesterday. We didn't notice it until we got home last night to a toasty house! I called out home warranty company and they finally got someone out here this afternoon...he did the work and was gone in about 1 hour. A little to fast I thought at the time...and I was right. His "work" didn't do ANYTHING! It is still well over 90 in our house right now.

I have been trying to float bags of ice as often as I can...but they are melting quick. The lights have been off on the tank all day and and doors open to the stand. I am running a fan right at the sump. I have no idea how warm the water is...I don't even want to know. The fish seem ok...but who knows what they will be like come tomorrow when I get someone back out here to fix it...again.

We are getting ready to head off to a hotel room for the night. I can't do another sleepless night of sweating.

Pray for my tank...it might need it to beat this heatwave.

Current USA Solana 10gallon Nano.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:37 PM
My Boys

Dirt call me I have atnk with some room and I have a generator if my power goes out that gets my tanks back on line. 480-217-3437 I am glendale . I am not sure if this helps but I am offering space and room
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:41 PM
I found Nemo...

I appreciate the offer...but I think the stress of trying to get the 5 fish out might push them over the edge. They are all acting normal. I just dropped in some flake and they all acted as usual. So hopefully the tank isn't as warm as the house (I don't see how that would be possible). They are going to have to tough out another night in there. I will have that lazy repairman back over in the morning.

I have the generator too (borrowing it from AZTBS) because we lost power here a few days ago. These poor fish are getting their booties kicked between the power being out and now the AC. Tough little buggers...hopefully they can make it through the night.

Current USA Solana 10gallon Nano.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

blow a fan straight down into the sump. Water will evaporate and that's called evaporative cooling. I know AZ is alot hotter than pittsburgh but evaporative cooling might keep your tank just cool enough and put a fan on top of your tank blowing across the water.

Best of luck....
Old 07/09/2007, 09:44 PM
][D][][V][][D

That sucks! I had the same thing happen last year, ended up buy a new AC after a week with no air!!!! It got so bad that I went out and bought a portable AC unit on wheels, and my wife and I camped out in the family room next to it!!! I froze water bottles and floated them in my tanks---and ran clip on fans blowing over the surface of the water--it all helped I think. Good luck, and let me know if I can do anything to help ya!
Old 07/09/2007, 09:44 PM
Set it up

Check your PM hth
Old 07/09/2007, 09:45 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

if you wanted too, it would be drastic but you could go buy a portable AC unit around 200$ use it and keep it for back up, use it around your house, or return it. This thing is way cool its like a window ac except for portable all you need is an exaust hose to a window.

Plus it will help cool you off too!
Old 07/09/2007, 09:47 PM
][D][][V][][D

home warranty AC repairs are the worst!!! Absolute worst! It sounds like my nightmare with the home warranty last year---after a week with no AC, and I bought a new unit, I canceled them. Worthless--they just try to bandaid fix ACs......
Old 07/09/2007, 09:49 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentanner11
if you wanted too, it would be drastic but you could go buy a portable AC unit around 200$ use it and keep it for back up, use it around your house, or return it. This thing is way cool its like a window ac except for portable all you need is an exaust hose to a window.

Plus it will help cool you off too!
That's what I did last year-- They are more like 300-400 bucks though. I got mine at Big Lots for a cheap price ($250) because it was refurbished.....
Old 07/09/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

dang Tyler, first you flood your bathroom with RO water through the sink, and now this !! wonder what happened to you in between ?? BTW ... this is Bobby from CR (formerly). how you been besides this buddy ??

125 gallon tank w/ overflows ... $400
Protien Skimmer ....................... $350
Metal Halide Reef Lighting ........ $800
Corals and Live Rock ................ $5,000
Having your own Reef ... priceless
Old 07/09/2007, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Go to home depot and buy 3 or 4 clip on fans, then aim them all at your sump.
Old 07/10/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

whats you temp i have a 1/4 chiller not in use right this min i can spare it for a few days
Old 07/10/2007, 12:41 AM
Hopeless addict

What a spell of bad luck! I wish the magic generator would have fixed the problem. Our AC went out recently and it turned out to just be a capacitor. A 5 minute fix and all was well again. We have a friend in the business if you want his number.

I also have a small window unit AC if you need to borrow it.
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 07/10/2007, 10:49 AM
Xenia Farmer

I have a small room AC you can use also if you want. It is one of those portable ones. It might help.