Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Building 2 growout tanks... need suggestions for equip

hey guys, im building two grow out/propagation tanks in the basment,

The dimensions are pretty much up in the air, but it is most likely going to be 2' x 4' x 18in which is around 100 gallons a peice.

One is going to be an a high flow/high light (dedicated to SPS) and med flow/med light.

The ceilings are 8 ft tall and im guessing the lights will be about 3ft off the water.

For lighting I was thinking a DIY using lumenarcs.
so far i have 2 questions.
1) will a single lumenarc be able to cover a 2x4 area or would i need 2?

2) i was going to use a 400 watt DE hallide with t5 supplemets for the 1st tub and 250 watt DE hallides with t5 for the 2nd. do you think this will be sufficient?

for a sump i am probably goign to use two 100 gallon rubbermaid feeding bins. 1 for live rock and the other a remote deep sand bed.

how does this sound so far?