Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/22/2004, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Scuba lessons?

I am currently live in San Antonio, Tx which is about 2 hours from the gulf of mexico. I have always wanted to scuba dive, and having an saltwater aquarium has only fueled my desire even more. Does anyone know of a good school around the Corpis Christi area??
Old 03/23/2004, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

You should be able to find a good shop in your area on the PADI website.
Old 03/23/2004, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

or you can go to cozumel and learn in 4days!!!!! it is totally awesome expierence and you will get certified and get your open water dives all included for around the same price you can get in the states!!! just shorter
Old 03/24/2004, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

You can learn scuba in 4 days anywhere. If anyone decides to take a course in Mexico, my advice would be to do some research about the dive company and also contact Padi for their recomendations.
Old 03/25/2004, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

check out papa hoggs. the people that run the place are canadian and are padi contenders. they were recommended to me by someone on saltwaterfish.com message board.
Old 03/27/2004, 11:45 AM
Sleep Deprived Senior

My mom might let me take Scuba for my upcomming 14th Birthday

Likwise, my reef tank has also fueled my desire
Old 04/22/2004, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Hey superswimmer... GOOD LUCK!
Old 04/26/2004, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I'm considering heading down to Cozumel in July to get certified and go diving. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations for what I should invest in before I head down there. I've seen regulator, mask, flippers, and snorkel. anything else? and are there any reputible dive shops that i can get certified at while i'm down there?

i'm in texas too. i'm about to head to san antonio for work =(

maybe i'll get a chance to hit up the beach!
Old 04/26/2004, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

I would recommend that you stay in Tx and find a good dive school, rather than going to Cozumel. It might be faster, it might be cheaper, but going with a more local school will add a very beneficial relationship/comfort.

I would also recommend that you choose a school that has one single flat rate. No offense to Sports Chalet, but if you look at their program, it seems pretty cheap. But then you have to add on the pool sessions, then the ocean dives, not to mention the cost of the dive boat, cost of the gas, etc. SC has a significant percentage of students that pay for lessons but never complete their training cause they can't afford that last ocean dive, or whatnot.

With a small, reputable dive shop you can build a bond with your teacher. If you don't feel completely comfortable and would like another pool session, chances are he or she will be willing to let you do that for free (mine were, at least). If you have any questions you can always ask them personally, not the new guy at the counter. Plus, you'll always have a reliable school in case you want to further your training and get your advanced, rescue, or dive master. You'll also have dive buddy too!

Plus, learning in conditions that aren't as perfect as Cozumel's will not only make you a better diver, but you'll enjoy Cozumel better. I learned in the cold waters of CA, and a week after I got certified I went to Hawaii. Veteran divers on the dive boat couldn't believe that I had only been diving for literally a week (I didn't even have my cert card yet). I'm not saying that I'm a great diver, I'm just saying it was that much easier in the environment, and I could enjoy it that much. I wasn't having trouble with my buoyancy or anything so I could concentrate on the marine life. And afterwards I went back to the dive shop at home and talked to my teacher for about 2 hours of the trip.

I'll close up my long speech here... The two major cert agencies are PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) and NAUI (National Assoc of Underwater Instructors). Do a google search on both and you'll find store locators on each site. PADI is the largest organization, but that doesn't mean it's the best. I've heard many PADI people say it stands for "Put another dollar in." NAUI is non-profit (it's actually started before PADI), and focuses more on making sure you have the knowledge before you jump in. I can't speak for PADI since i'm not certified by them. But just like fishtanks, do your HW and talk to people from both agencies and see what fits you best.
Old 04/26/2004, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Thanks for the info! I've been talking to a dive shop here, that's right next door to one of the LFS I frequent. They've been in my ear about diving for about the past 2 months or so. The man who owns the dive shop has been diving for 30+ years, so I know he's very expereinced. When I say going to Cozumel and getting certified, I meant arranging a trip through the dive shop, as they offer a package deal. I'm going to get some more information from them tonight.

Do you have any suggestions on what gear I should purchase and what I should look for when buying sed gear, before I go?

Quote:
Originally posted by yoink326
I would recommend that you stay in Tx and find a good dive school, rather than going to Cozumel. It might be faster, it might be cheaper, but going with a more local school will add a very beneficial relationship/comfort.

I would also recommend that you choose a school that has one single flat rate. No offense to Sports Chalet, but if you look at their program, it seems pretty cheap. But then you have to add on the pool sessions, then the ocean dives, not to mention the cost of the dive boat, cost of the gas, etc. SC has a significant percentage of students that pay for lessons but never complete their training cause they can't afford that last ocean dive, or whatnot.

With a small, reputable dive shop you can build a bond with your teacher. If you don't feel completely comfortable and would like another pool session, chances are he or she will be willing to let you do that for free (mine were, at least). If you have any questions you can always ask them personally, not the new guy at the counter. Plus, you'll always have a reliable school in case you want to further your training and get your advanced, rescue, or dive master. You'll also have dive buddy too!

Plus, learning in conditions that aren't as perfect as Cozumel's will not only make you a better diver, but you'll enjoy Cozumel better. I learned in the cold waters of CA, and a week after I got certified I went to Hawaii. Veteran divers on the dive boat couldn't believe that I had only been diving for literally a week (I didn't even have my cert card yet). I'm not saying that I'm a great diver, I'm just saying it was that much easier in the environment, and I could enjoy it that much. I wasn't having trouble with my buoyancy or anything so I could concentrate on the marine life. And afterwards I went back to the dive shop at home and talked to my teacher for about 2 hours of the trip.

I'll close up my long speech here... The two major cert agencies are PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) and NAUI (National Assoc of Underwater Instructors). Do a google search on both and you'll find store locators on each site. PADI is the largest organization, but that doesn't mean it's the best. I've heard many PADI people say it stands for "Put another dollar in." NAUI is non-profit (it's actually started before PADI), and focuses more on making sure you have the knowledge before you jump in. I can't speak for PADI since i'm not certified by them. But just like fishtanks, do your HW and talk to people from both agencies and see what fits you best.
Old 04/26/2004, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

I opted for the Cozumel option myself-mostly because I have absolutely no desire to get into the Hudson River-ever! I used Sand Dollar Sports, and they were terrific. But, as yoinks says, it's probably a lot like reefkeeping-developing the realtionship with the local shop can be priceless. Best advice-check out the PADI or NAUI sites, and read up on any potential cert instructors that you may think about.
Old 04/26/2004, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djquestion
I'm considering heading down to Cozumel in July to get certified and go diving. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations for what I should invest in before I head down there. I've seen regulator, mask, flippers, and snorkel. anything else? and are there any reputible dive shops that i can get certified at while i'm down there?

i'm in texas too. i'm about to head to san antonio for work =(

maybe i'll get a chance to hit up the beach!
Personal equipment that you should definitely purchase are mask, fins, snorkel, booties and gloves (not that you need gloves in warm water). All other items you can rent.

Your primary concern for all equipment should be fit (even over comfort). You should be able to place the mask on your face without the strap, breath in through your nose and it shouldn't fall off. Then you can go for the added features if you like: wide angle lenses, special lenses that add the color lost in water, etc. A snorkel is just a tube that you'll rarely use, so just get whatever your pockets can afford. There are special snorkels that have a type of gadget that block water from entering, but those can break and not let air in either.

Your fins are what's going to bust your wallet. You can get a cheap paddle pair for $80, or you can spend $200 on high tech split fins. Again, as I stated in my other reply, this is where a local shop is a plus because many of them will let you try different fins in the pool so you can see what you like. If you only plan on diving in warm water, the you'll be fine getting a full foot fin. If you're unsure, then get an open heel. With an open heel, you'll need to wear booties to prevent chaffing (they made of neoprene to keep your feet warm in cold water). You can also adjust your heel strap for a tighter fit.

Regulator, tanks, BCD, and dive computers are all expensive equipment that you should wait to get until you're sure you're going to keep up with the sport. You can always rent them. Then it comes down to if you want to spend $2,000 or $400 for the reg.
Old 04/26/2004, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djquestion

Do you have any suggestions on what gear I should purchase and what I should look for when buying sed gear, before I go?
No problem DJ, you'll see my reply above this about equipment. When it comes down to it, brand names are just that, names. It's all personal preference.

I just wanted to warn you that there's a magazine called "Scuba Diving" by Rodale. They do a lot of comparisons, and rank which ones are the best. Don't be completely fooled by them because most of the time the "best" products are ones that give the magazine the most money. There is a magazine called "Undercurrent" which compares products, dive operators, resorts, etc all annonymously (sp?) that way their reports aren't biased at all. $40 for a 9 month subscription.

Secondly, undoubtedly your dive shop will push the brand names of the products it sells, and they may very well be perfect for you, but you should ask around as well. Check out www.scubaboard.com and ask around there. At least that way you'll have the firepower to say "What about this split fin. I've heard that blah blah blah..."

Personally, I use the Scubapro Clear Vu 2 mask, the ScubaPro Shotgun snorkel, Scubapro booties (you can see that my dive school was a ScubaPro dealer) and XS gloves (because they were cheaper and I didn't need kevlar lined gloves). Now I could have bought ScubaPro Twin Jet fins (I tried them and liked them), but I did my research and found that the Apollo Bio Pro Fins were considered better. I was apprehensive in ordering them, but when i used them I loved them. Had I not liked them, well that would have been a mistake I had to live with.
Old 04/27/2004, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey Frogguy,

I'm from San Antonio; probably we've met at one of the MAAST meetings. Anyhow, I'm in the middle of the PADI open water course at Dive World, which is on thousand oaks in S.A. They were running a special; two people get the course for 1 1/2 tuition fee. A friend talked me into it. It's been a very positive experience so far; the instructor that I have is Terry; seems to be a good teacher, pretty patient, and spends the time to get everyone in the class doing well on the skills. I'd recommend that. Although they have also been running a special in which you get $100 off the course cost if you buy mask, fins, snorkel, booties there, I haven't felt pressured to buy stuff. It's not a discount place, but at least for the course you probably want to make sure you're getting quality education and a comfortable experience. If you want, send me a PM on my MAAST account after I finsih the class and I'll tell you more about it.

Matt
Old 04/29/2004, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Initial SCUBA Cert

Something to consider (argueably the most important consideration) in your search for instruction is your gut feeling about the instructor. He/She will be setting the standard for you to follow for some time. And, in a time of stress you WILL revert to your training level, until experience has amplified your underwater senses. Local dive groups form from training experiences... it would be a good thing to be a part of that.

What no one has mentioned here yet is that since the early 80's, all US Initial SCUBA Cert. training has been standardized to meet minimum training levels. As you gain insight you will see how the programs diverge beyond initial open water certification.

At this level, the only truely important issue is the teaching experience and training ability of your potential instructor. That instructor might be brand new, or possibly training for thirty years.... Its how you communicate and the professionalisim that is critical.

BTW for a little history : LA County started the first US training "System". Perhaps a few on this board have heard of Morgan himself. They were followed soon after by a national cirriculum designed by YMCA. Others are NAAUI, SSI, PADI, and assorted specialty training organizations that dont deal with initial certs.
Any Q's? Email OK.
Sea dog 6
Old 04/30/2004, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

Most dive shops require you to purchase your own Mask, fins and snorkle. Rental fins are almost always plain ol' crap. Personally I'm not much for the split fin. I do like the Mares Avanti's. If your dives will be done in cold water or some in cold , then get the open heel style. If you are a warm water guy, like me, go for the full foot. Here is an option for certifcation. You can do you academics and pool training locally. Then get a referral to finish your open water dives in Cozumel.
Old 04/30/2004, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

thanks for your insight guys. i really appreciate it. i've been trying to find some dive shops around dallas, and i think i've found the one i'm going with.

any suggestions on gear? also, i wear contacts and glasses. are there any issues i should consider when buying a mask, considering i have bad vision?
Old 04/30/2004, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

You can dive with your contacts (if they're soft lenses) or get perscription lenses in your mask. With contacts, you can't open your eyes underwater. Part of your training will require you to remove your mask underwater, then put it back on and clear all the water out of it. Doing this, you might run the risk of losing a contact if you don't keep your eyes shut. Your first time doing it, you will feel very awkward, and maybe panick a little. Your face all of a sudden gets cold, and the bubbles you're exhaling go up your nose. How bad is your vision? You might want to try your first pool session without your contacts just to see if you can keep your eyes closed. There's not much to see in a pool anyways, and unless your vision is extremely terrible, you should be able to see your instructor. If you absolutely need your vision corrected, then hopefully you use disposable contacts and can afford to lose one or two. Thirdly, if you want special lenses in your mask, you can just buy it as is, then send it to a special dealer to install perscription lenses.
Old 04/30/2004, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

DJQuestion:

Many new divers are surprised to discover that they can see better underwater (with a mask) than on land. The optics of it is confusing but suffice to say everything does look larger (is it 12% ?) underwater.

You may be uncomfortable in training because you will often be intentionally removing your mask, resulting in chlorine or salt behind your lenses at least, a lost contact at worst. You will also practice various exercises without your mask. That having been said, you also need to be able to read your gauges and watch. SSooo, if that's a problem, check out those nice little stick on magnifiers for your first mask. Then you can eventually get perscription lenses or half lenses for your mask... quite common.

The sport is equipment intensive. Always remember that its life support equipment. Dont go nickle-dime. Do your homework. As little as you will be diving at first, hold off (I know, I know its like waiting for your tank to completely cycle) and rent gear. Eventually there are things you should own regardless of how little you dive.. Start training with a decent mask and snorkel. Previous advice about fins is right on the money... open heel for cold water/ rough shorelines, cause you'll be wearing dive boots. Closed foot fins for warm tropics/ boat dives. For all around use, best practicality may be open heel fins, they swim both ways.

Now go make some bubbles and meet some buddies!
Old 04/30/2004, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sea dog 6

Now go make some bubbles and meet some buddies!

AND STAY HEALTHY! Keep those eustachian tubes clear!
Old 04/30/2004, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

yoink326,did you get certified through sports chalet?
Old 05/01/2004, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Abynum1
yoink326,did you get certified through sports chalet?
I did not and I apologize to anyone here who was certified, or affiliated by them. I was just restating what others have told me. Obviously Sports Chalet can adequately certify people for diving, otherwise they wouldn't be still doing it. I was just trying to show the pros of smaller dive schools.