Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2006, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Your bathtub would have soap residue that I don't think you would want to transfer to your tank when you get it running.

Your in IL where did you get the SWC badged Octo from?
Old 10/31/2006, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Nice skimmer I have the triple 12"dia version. lets see some pics of that thing running.
Old 10/31/2006, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Help...possible problem with my nw 150 !!

My oct 2000 pump is one of those that must have air blown into the venture before restarting.

I have had two occasions where I have come home and it is not running....needs another blow (no joke). There has been no power outage, it just stops. I've notived larger bubbles coming out of the input side of the pump on occasion.

Aqua Cave did not answer when I told them about the problem.

Any idea's ?? Should I just replace the pump with a reliable needle wheel pump ??
Old 10/31/2006, 07:26 PM
Space Cowboy

bore-out the air inlet so it doesn't get covered by the supplied O-ring, or replace the O-ring with one that does not block the hole... or just remove the O-ring and only "loosely" tighten the inlet coupling
Old 10/31/2006, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

So, I joined the group and just received my PS-2000. I can't figure out how to put it together!!! There seems to be no way to attach the air hose to the pump without pulling the endcap off of the pump. And, I have an extra part that looks like a plug with two 'nipples' that one would attach air line to, but no way to attach it to anything. The picture shows the airhose connected to the outside of the pump, but I don't see a way to do it!?!"!
Old 10/31/2006, 09:01 PM
Flowalicious

theyre STILL using that tiny output plumbing on these pumps?
Old 10/31/2006, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LA-Lawman
what is the footprint on that badboy!
11" x 23"

Quote:
Originally posted by Covey
Your in IL where did you get the SWC badged Octo from?
I got it from Aquacave. I asked Albert if he would allow me to do a walk-in and he said sure, and waived all shipping fees. I of course had to pay Illinois tax so it ended up being about the same price as having it shipped. Only difference is I got to open the box at his warehouse and we made sure everything was in there and not broken.
Old 10/31/2006, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Packdog
Help...possible problem with my nw 150 !!

My oct 2000 pump is one of those that must have air blown into the venture before restarting.

I have had two occasions where I have come home and it is not running....needs another blow (no joke). There has been no power outage, it just stops. I've notived larger bubbles coming out of the input side of the pump on occasion.

Aqua Cave did not answer when I told them about the problem.

Any idea's ?? Should I just replace the pump with a reliable needle wheel pump ??
i think i may no how to fix these nw-150s that need a blow start. can some one post a photo of the venturi the side facing the pump. not having that model it just a guess but it may work.
they still pumping water just not sucking air right?
Old 11/02/2006, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

I believe I figured out the problem with the NW-150 pumps with no water pressure until you blow into them.

I received a new pump last night and the first time I turned it on it started fine after that it went back to the same problem (i.e. no water pressure until you blow into the air tube). So I pulled the pump apart and turned it on briefly out of the water and the needle wheel wasn't spinning (it was just kind of vibrating cw and ccw slightly). I examined the difference between the normal impellers which work fine and the needle wheels and I noticed that the normal impellers have some free travel to them while the needle wheels did not.

So I took the needle wheel impeller and worked it a little (i.e. turned it cw and ccw by hand) to get it to loosen up and create some free play into it. It was pretty frozen when I started (I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR IMPELLER TRYING THIS, THIS IS JUST WHAT WORKED FOR ME). You may want to compare the NW to the Normal impeller so you know how it's supposed to travel. I popped it back into the skimmer motor and it now starts as it should.

You may also want to just get the retailer to send you a new needlewheel if your concerned about breaking it. In my case both needlewheels I received were frozen up.

I'm not sure if there is a lubricant you can use on them or if once you work them in a bit they will stay loose or tighten back up.

Hope this helps.
Old 11/02/2006, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nieczy
I believe I figured out the problem with the NW-150 pumps with no water pressure until you blow into them.

I received a new pump last night and the first time I turned it on it started fine after that it went back to the same problem (i.e. no water pressure until you blow into the air tube). So I pulled the pump apart and turned it on briefly out of the water and the needle wheel wasn't spinning (it was just kind of vibrating cw and ccw slightly). I examined the difference between the normal impellers which work fine and the needle wheels and I noticed that the normal impellers have some free travel to them while the needle wheels did not.

So I took the needle wheel impeller and worked it a little (i.e. turned it cw and ccw by hand) to get it to loosen up and create some free play into it. It was pretty frozen when I started (I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR IMPELLER TRYING THIS, THIS IS JUST WHAT WORKED FOR ME). You may want to compare the NW to the Normal impeller so you know how it's supposed to travel. I popped it back into the skimmer motor and it now starts as it should.

You may also want to just get the retailer to send you a new needlewheel if your concerned about breaking it. In my case both needlewheels I received were frozen up.

I'm not sure if there is a lubricant you can use on them or if once you work them in a bit they will stay loose or tighten back up.

Hope this helps.
Do you think this is a temporary fix to a permanent problem or will this fix the situation for good?
Old 11/02/2006, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

If the needlewheel blades don't sieze back up it should be permanent.

Since my tank isn't set up yet and I don't have the skimmer running in a tank I don't know if the problem will come back. I pulled my impeler back out today and it seems like it might actually be looser than yesterday so thats a good sign. It also is still be working normally today (although I don't have it running continuously). However if the impeller blades seem really tight and don't seem to be loostening up it would probably be a good idea to see about getting it replaced. The normal (non needlewheel) impellers are pretty loose.
Old 11/02/2006, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Are you talking about the design of the impeller that keeps it from spinning in reverse?

You might want to check that no glue got down into the assembly when the NW's were glued on.

Carl
Old 11/03/2006, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Does anyone know the input and output water connection sizes for the recirc 150?

I am about to order one a want to get the pump and hoses now.

Thanks
Old 11/03/2006, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

so has anyone had luck getting the hob model to work. id like to see some pictures if you have the itme.

thanks,
nate
Old 11/03/2006, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erc111
Hi,

Does anyone know the input and output water connection sizes for the recirc 150?

I am about to order one a want to get the pump and hoses now.

Thanks
Their both metric. 3/4" vinyl tubing works for the intake and the output usually comes with enough plumbing for the install.
Old 11/03/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Covey.

Do you have one? and if so, are you happy?
And what pump do you use?

Thanks again.
Old 11/03/2006, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deds
seem they have make a bigger version with 4 pump and slightly bigger neck
Mine arrives in the next couple of weeks. I'll post the performance to the Forum. It's gonna be like having 4 x DNW200

Tone
Old 11/03/2006, 06:18 PM
Genius

That looks like a beast. I want one!
Old 11/03/2006, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

anyone no if any NW-200 are available anywhere in North America?
Old 11/03/2006, 06:46 PM
Tailspot Blenny

i'm thinking of getting a DNW-100 for my 68 gallon tank. would it suffice for that sized tank?
Old 11/03/2006, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Roland, they are available.
Old 11/03/2006, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Jayson
Old 11/03/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Roland, they are available.
Hope that means my pending order from Marine Solutions will be shipping soon.
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 11/03/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erc111
Thanks Covey.

Do you have one? and if so, are you happy?
And what pump do you use?

Thanks again.
I've got the bigger recirc and it is direct fed and yes very happy with it.
Old 11/03/2006, 07:45 PM

DOes any one have one of the multi pump models in operation and can post pics????