Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp

Old 03/07/2007, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Most of the studies that we have on squillids are for species that are in warmer waters. How seasonally cold waters such as those on the northeastern seaboard affect growth and age are unknown, but I'm sure it must slow things down considerably. Most stomatopod females can either molt or reproduce - they can't do both at the same time. Once egg production starts, that will also slow growth. Squilla empusa in the northeast is a seasonal breeder and I think only produces one or two clutchs a year (I could be wrong). What we don't know is if they molt frequently when they are not reproducing. Sorry to rattle on about this, but the bottom line is we don't have the data to make an informed guess.

Roy
Old 05/05/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

roy i,v looked at your list. the mantis i,ve seen in my tank dosn't have the same color as any of these it is dark blue w/electric blue stripes on front legs sort of like the blue hermits its eaten.its a smasher tho seen it hitting rock and chipping out a larger hole it is about 1 in. long can u tell me what it is...
Old 05/05/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I've noticed you have TBS live rock. It is likely an N. wennerae. Look at the list. I believe there is a blue one on it.....Great species, ges about 3 inches, pretty active, though it varies between individuals.

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 05/06/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks a bunch not sure if i want to keep it or not hmmm...but must catch it first lol got an empty tank but not sure if i want to make another saltwater tank so soon before i'm usedto taking care of the first one
Old 05/06/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

N. wenneraeare super hard. Just get a 10 galon, a glass cover an use some cured live rock and some sand from an established tank. pick up a can of freeze dried krill, a pack of frozen shrimp, and feed every other day or so. Feed live hard foods (snails, hermits) maybe once a month, and soak in selcon once a week. Do a 10% water change every week. easy.

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 05/07/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

lol peabrain, that was a rushed post! lol michelle, he meant the wennies are super HARDY and they certainly are. he also meant for you to soak the frozens in selcon. the live food you just throw in the tank and let the mantis hunt. I love watching my G. smithii destroy crabs. make sure the live isn't big enough to harm the mantis though... ive seen a one eyed mantis before because of this.

btw, i don't like freeze dried stuff. i like to stick to frozens. just a personal preference.

btw michelle, with a bit more experience you could even start a reef tank... but where? why in the mantis tank of course silly! mantis among corals make amazing pics and it really is an amazing thing... fish don't even compare. just keep it in mind for later.
Old 07/18/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Nice list,
I have a general question regarding the common field, "Aquarium size (adult): ##L". How do we know Neogonodactylus wennerae need at least 20L for instance? From pictures, Video, and general observations, I hardly ever see these Mantis shrimp leave there caves. When they do leave there lair, it's rarely for more than 30 seconds and then they zip right back into there tiny burrow. I don't mean to sound mean or anything like that but whats the 20L for?
Old 07/18/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

My recommendation for aquarium size is just that - a recommendation based on my experience keeping these animals, what I know about their behavior in the field, physiological tolerances and other factors such as their tendency to bury food and molt skins. If you want, you can keep an adult N. wennerae in half a liter of water changed every four days (I have about 50 being held in the lab just that way.) However, if you want an animal that grows at a normal rate, reproduces and behaves as they do in the field, then a stable, larger tank is required.

N. wennerae/bredini has been my primary research animal since I first worked on it in Bermuda 40 years ago. I have collected probably close to 100,000 of them, spent thousands of hours watching their behavior and have hundreds of hours of video taken in the field. While when maintained in a small aquarium and provided food at or near the cavity, they may remain secretive. In the field where food (and mates) are more scarce and must be searched for, adult N. wennerae make several ftrips away from the cavity starting just after dawn, slowing at mid-day and picking up towards sunset. Cavities are always closed by dusk and opened at dawn.

Actually, behavior in an aquarium doesn't really look much like field activity until the animals are housed in a really large tank, but a 10 gal is a nice compromise that promotes good water quality and gives the animal room to move about.

Can they be kept in a smaller system? Sure. Will they behave as they would in the field? Probably not. Will they they grow and reproduce as much as in the field and live as long? No. Are they as happy? I have no idea.
Old 07/18/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! I find mantis so enjoyable to watch. I'm just trying to get into a N.wennerae or the larger O.scyllarus's head to figure out what they want and if there needs differ much with regards to tank size (Understood, some use rocks, some dig tunnels, etc). It sounds like there kind of like us, Sleep, Feed & Breed. =)
Old 07/30/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Great!!! job!!!

Thanks
Old 08/07/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

I used to keep a fairly small mantis in an old 20 gallon tank, but had to move a few years back. I ended up giving it away - but recently started back up and picked up a larger mantis from the local store.

So far it's taken a liking to the cave that it has adopted, and goes so far as to peer out and guard it unless someone walks by (at which point it ducks back in and peers out cautiously).

The store had no firm ID and I've IDed it rather haphazardly as a G. platysoma and was hoping I could get a more firm ID of the specimen. I've got a couple of photos here and here . I'll attempt some more photos relatively soon if these are insufficient for identification.

Any help would be fantastic! Currently I put in a "fresh" round of hermit crabs, astrea snails and a couple mithrax crabs once I notice most are "missing" or the telltale pile of debris and discarded shells outside the burrow gets fairly large. I've also been feeding the mantis freeze-dried krill every now and again by wedging pieces around the tank. They disappear after fifteen or so minutes, so I can only assume the mantis is taking them. If there's anything else you'd recommend, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Old 08/08/2007, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

It is indeed a G. platysoma. The orange spot is key.

Roy
Old 08/19/2007, 09:16 PM
Mantis Freak

ya somoney im pretty sure the 20L is for liters not gallons and tank dimensions
Old 09/28/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the research and contributions Dr. Roy!
Old 10/01/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Hey Dr. Roy!

Do you plan on adding more species to the list of Stomatopods? I understand you've added ones that are most suited for the hobby, but for us nuts out there that want to see more...

Is there a book in the works regarding Stomatopods?

-Paul