Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 03:16 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
KK you also speculate that your LR has the same exact fauna diversity that a SSB has.
I'm willing to bet KK"s liverock contains more microfaunal diversity than you'll find in a typical SSB.
I know mine does.

Get enough crud accumulated at the bottom of a BB aquarium and the substrate (if you want to call it that) can contain more microfauna per inch than you'd find in a typical 'clean' DSB reef aquarium because populations are a direct result of food availability. (Obviously diversity will depend on what's introduced to the aquarium). This brings up another good point- most of the microfauna found in reef aquaria arrive in/on liverock or as hitch-hikers on corals, not in sand samples.
You can call it speculation but the fact remains- bare bottom reef aquaria were "in" during the early 80's. DSB's arrived later. There's many good reasons that reefkeepers have returned to running BB and to call these reasons all specualtiuon is simply not true.
Quote:
Originally posted by scunfcu
I will be settting up 75 gallon sps tank, plan on using two Koralia 3s. Been reading about bare bottom tanks. Any opinions and feedback?
this thread is in regards to setting up a 75 gallon SPS reef aquarium and the pros and cons of running BB.
HB- it doesn't appear that you have a SPS reef aquarium. All the photos in your gallery are softies...

Last edited by Gary Majchrzak; 11/21/2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:40 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
I'm willing to bet KK"s liverock contains more microfaunal diversity than you'll find in a typical SSB.
I know mine does.

??? Apples and Oranges.

I said the exact same, not amount of.

If it was not clear, I was speaking of sand beds increasing total tank diversity in addition to live rock. KK was stating that any no additional "special" diversity was provided by sand beds.

Last edited by HBtank; 11/21/2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:47 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:

HB- it doesn't appear that you have a SPS reef aquarium. All the photos in your gallery are softies...
I thank you for your interest in my tank, I guess I do need to update my gallery lol. I currently have about 20 Acro species, 7 Montipora, three Stylophora, and one Seriatopia

I do also have around 10 species of LPS and thousands of Zoanthids/paly's, and many various shrooms, some GSP etc..

Some random shots

And of course the nasty sand bed in question

Last edited by HBtank; 11/21/2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:54 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
??? Apples and Oranges.

I said the exact same, not amount of.

If it was not clear, I was speaking of sand beds increasing total tank diversity in addition to live rock. KK was stating that any no additional "special" diversity was provided by sand beds.
I agree with KK.
Unless you specifically purchase some sand for the (sandbed) critters it contains you'll only have the species diversity that arrives as hitch-hikers on your liverock. In most cases this translates into no additional "special" diversity being provided by sand beds.

Nice pix of some nice corals. It looks like you're phasing out the softies. Maybe it's time to consider phasing out the in-tank DSB
Old 11/21/2007, 04:03 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
I agree with KK.
Unless you specifically purchase some sand for the (sandbed) critters it contains you'll only have the species diversity that arrives as hitch-hikers on your liverock. In most cases this translates into no additional "special" diversity being provided by sand beds.

Nice pix of some nice corals. It looks like you're phasing out the softies. Maybe it's time to consider phasing out the in-tank DSB
But, remember, human hitchikers do not "live" in cars...

Just like you can get species specific pests from non related species you purchase.

Anyways, yes, you can definately make a SB more diverse by specifically stocking it..

I never thought I would like the "brown sticks", as I used to call them. Well I do now, but my wallet doesn't..lol
Old 11/21/2007, 11:59 PM
King of the Apes

Gary said it better than I did, so I'll leave it at that.

As for "speculation" related to anaerobic bacteria populations existing in SSBs, some things are known to be truths because theyve been well documented and researched, and we dont have to re-invent the wheel every time the discussion pops up. SSB's dont contain the depths necessary to facilitate growth of anaerobic bacteria for the consumption of nitrates; DSB's do.

The world is also round, and we orbit the sun; do we need to post literature everytime this comes up, or can we begin to accept certain simple things in this hobby?
Old 11/22/2007, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarce
It wouldn't be for me. I don't believe everything I read. It would help others though, if you make this statement and post something to support it. This is why this thread is mostly speculation.
In support of KK see;
wetwebmedia.com and do a search.
Reef Invertebrates by Calfo and Fenner, page 36
The Reef Aquarium by Delbeek and Sprung, chapters 2 and 6
Book of Coral Propagation by Calfo, page 93
Old 11/22/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Controllable and manageable, in my experience. It not about aestetics, but about survival of the tank in the hands of the some of us (like me ).
I found most of the needed information in different Barebottom 101 threads.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Who cares what everyone speculates. One thing for sure is that BB is butt ugly.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hagakure
Who cares what everyone speculates. One thing for sure is that BB is butt ugly.

In your opinion.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by King-Kong
I'm not sure what that means...

Someone made a claim of fact that skimmers *only* remove organic matter after it has decomposed, and they are incapable of pulling out anything larger. I stated an observable fact otherwise. It's not speculation.. cause I didnt put that shrimp molt in my skimmer's cup.
I agree with KONG, my H&S has no strainer, I pull out pods, and I actually pulled out half of my dead cleaner shrip (His head and upper body), it is direclty fed by my overflow and my overflow has over 1/8 inch slots in it so whatever makes is through them is fair game to the skimmer. I also pull out uneaten flakes all the time as well, way before they breakdown into the water..
Old 11/22/2007, 01:22 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Flatlander
In your opinion.
X2

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My bottom is bare and I am topless.

Too old for women to care
Old 11/22/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Well, not butt ugly. I exagerated a little. You BBers don't seem to have a problem with KK doing it.

Seriously. Lots of BB tanks look nice, but you take any BB tank from a TOTM down to a newbie's like me, add sand to it, and it's brighter, more natural, and more attractive. No other way to put it.

If the 7 year itch is on the side of BB, then kudos to those that aren't followers.
Old 11/22/2007, 02:42 PM
PKSN

I run a Faux Sand Bed - all the aesthetics of a SB with all the benefits of BB.
I also have about 4-5 cups of sand in the tank. It shifts around from time to time, stopping coralline from covering the entire bottom, and giving a home for burrowing snails and worms while reflecting light up.

I am not convinced about the more natural look of DSB's. I think its more that people are used to seeing tanks with a sand bottom - which is fine, but I don't think it really look more natural. Almost all of the reefs I have seen don't have sand anywhere near the corals, which grow up and away from the sandy bottom. Here is a pic from PNG, no sand in sight :
Old 11/22/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Please
If you notice everyone else is trying to get their points across but are being respectful.

Then you come in with your completely unwelcome comment.
Your comment doesn't help the thread at all and is completely useless. No one cares that you think a barebottom tank is butt Ugly.

You don't realy post much to support the site which in turns helps the hobby. And if I had to guess all 15 of your post are more than likely no better.

Why is it someone always has to be ignorant and say things to purposefully rock to boat.

Also another thing I notice is when this topic comes up, this site or others, the sand tank folks are so agressive.
Most BB folks never say thing like DSB never work and sand is satan. They just state that this is what works for them
Old 11/22/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

hagakure
You have not said anything that is useful. If you can not say something constructive then ..............
Old 11/22/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

I purposely tried to hit a nerve, just to see your reactions. It's interesting for you to suggest that my opinion or comment holds little bearing because of my low post count. Or is it because I favor SBs.

We're still on equal planes. I haven't posted any more supporting facts that favor SBs than any BBers here, so what's the big deal. From all the searches I've done on the subject, two things are clear. One, most find BB ugly. Two, it's more of a bandwagon concept, as opposed to any real benefit other than being able to tremendously increase flow.

Is it necessary? Of course not.
Old 11/22/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bare Bottom pros or cons?

Quote:
Originally posted by scunfcu
I will be settting up 75 gallon sps tank, plan on using two Koralia 3s. Been reading about bare bottom tanks. Any opinions and feedback?
Back to your original question, Ive been BB for about a year now with a 10''RDSB in a sump section, used to have a strictly shallow SB (2'').

Ive noticed a couple things with the switch Im happier with. One is that I seem to need a smaller cleanup crew and can accomplish it almost exclusivly with snails although I do have a dozen hermits just for anything that dies I might not notice. In the past making sure I had enough critters to keep a sandbed healthy required yearly or sooner restocking of crittlers. I have found that alot of flow can keep the tank much cleaner and the couple small areas that build detritus can easily be sucked out during waterchanges and there is virtually no place except directly under the rocks that can build, even then a powerhead sweep blows it out for the skimmer. Yes my skimmer (a simple G-2) will suck in anything that gets too close to the intake, Collonista snails and pods seem to regularly make it to the cup.
I have starboard and it does get covered with coralline easily but sometimes also comes up in plates, the look doesnt bother me much although I do like the look of sand. The beautiful thing about BB is that if you really dont like it you can add sand after, easier than taking it out.
Im starting to move into SPS a little and the only thing I can tell for sure is that buffering is a bit more difficult with PH hovering around 8-8.1 which is still fine in my book. The RDSB Im very happy with and originally went with Calfo's unlit high flow teachings but for PH stability decided to reverse light it and run it as a fuge. It still works great and Im especially happy I can take it offline without disturbing the display. I do however run a filter sock on the input to keep the larger stuff from the overflow from making it to the RDSB.
Anyway, good luck with your choice. Im a firm believer there is no right or wrong and a blend of the 2 styles has worked great for me.
Old 11/22/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I purposely tried to hit a nerve, just to see your reactions.
Cool guy

Quote:
From all the searches I've done on the subject, two things are clear. One, most find BB ugly. Two, it's more of a bandwagon concept, as opposed to any real benefit other than being able to tremendously increase flow.
Most people find BB beautiful.

Considering that flow is so important to reef tanks, that seems like quite an advantage.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

edit: I think BB tanks are beautiful
Old 11/22/2007, 11:25 PM
PKSN

Quote:
Originally posted by hagakure

From all the searches I've done on the subject, two things are clear. One, most find BB ugly. Two, it's more of a bandwagon concept, as opposed to any real benefit other than being able to tremendously increase flow.
Some find BB ugly, some find DSB ugly. It is generalizations like 'most' that tend to help drag these discussions down.

There are more benefits to BB other than to increase flow, and the benefits of that increased flow are more than just making sps happier. I am not sure if you are really interested in discussion, your being interested in trying to hit a nerve and all, so I won't bother with more detail right now.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

I don't see why everyone gets their feathers so ruffled just b/c he said he thought bb was ugly. Its his opinion. It has been proven that you can have a very successful tank with either method. It's a matter of personal preference. If your happy with it, so what anybody else thinks.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

AND THE DEBATE BEGINS!
Old 11/23/2007, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

I didn't intend to ruffle feathers in the beginning, but listening to BBers exude authoritatively about how the method fixed all their woes, then with tongue in cheek, say that sand beds also work, too, gets tiring.

Again, this isn't really for me. I simply do not succumb to trends. If many of you feel a need to have 100X turnover rate in an SPS tank, so be it. Is it necessary, of course not.

That's a very interesting take, Thales, regarding sand not being near reefs. I suppose if I took a picture of the first few feet of every reef patch during my dives, I wouldn't see sand, either. However, this is really just selective reasoning.

I do suppose that a natural looking tank is a moot point, here. So many tanks are **** blue that they look more like black light displays than a reef flat. I don't know whether I should pass the bong or put on a sequined dress.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:22 AM
PKSN

Damn. I did the thing I said brought down the conversation. I generalized.

I should have said many or most. There are some that grow on the fringe, and there are some that grow outright on sand. However, most of them are up and away from the sand, and the ones that aren't look like your pictures: beat up and abraded.

Last edited by Thales; 11/23/2007 at 03:49 AM.