Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/21/2004, 09:40 AM
My guard dog!

How fast do zoo's reproduce?

I got a frag of about 12-15 zoos. I'm just curious about how fast they reproduce. For example about how long will it be until I have twice what I do now?

I have moderate flow on them and they are about 8" from the 4x54 watt t5 lights.
Old 01/21/2004, 03:29 PM
Reef Joker

to many variables to guess.
different species and colors grow at different rates under various lighting schemes. also depends on competition for space with neighbors. also, feeding (whether directly or indirectly from a refugium) may affect growth rates.

if they grow relatively fast, maybe 1 month to double if space, and maybe 6 months to a year if they grow slow.
Old 01/23/2004, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

i had zoos under pc 260w for a while and theyn did nothing now i have 250mh and they are taking off fast
Old 01/27/2004, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

I had 1 polyp that hitchiked in on a ric rock...That was 4 months ago. Now I have 15-20 polyps and spreading. I run 260w PC's...

I add a little iodine sporadically, add C-balance, feed the tank alot of Marine snow, and don't do water changes.

I think it's just luck tho...there's way too many variables to account for why they thrive in some tanks and don't do so well in others. Some say it's the lights, some additives, some feeding/foods, who knows...
Old 01/28/2004, 04:24 PM
Just say no to DSB

Quote:
Originally posted by Unfair Advantage
I had 1 polyp that hitchiked in on a ric rock...That was 4 months ago. Now I have 15-20 polyps and spreading. I run 260w PC's...

I add a little iodine sporadically, add C-balance, feed the tank alot of Marine snow, and don't do water changes.
Interesting - I would love to discuss your set up with the no water changes (I do not either on my reef) - I have about one new zoa a week of my orange ones show up. But I have a starburst greenish one as a hitchhiker (6 years ago) and it has never reproduced. I always thought it was because there was only one.
I never understood what to feed them though - my yellow polyps explode from getting feed brine, but the zoas just will not take off.

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 01/28/2004, 06:20 PM
Team RC Member

Rapid Zoo growth isn't hard to achieve at all. You would first need near optimal conditions, not perfect, to start the process. Near zero amonia, trates and trites. Stable PH & alk and your calcium must stay at 400 to 450, 450 is best. I have always maintained a 450 in all of my setups. I agree with UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, a lot of reefers will say, "it's the lights, some additives, some feeding/foods, who knows...". In my humble opinion, it's lighting and current, both are a must for rapid growth. Why current? Well some time ago, I took a colony of very nice weird green zoos that never seemed to reproduce. I then placed them in a direct current that gave them a constant flow across the top of the colony. Just enough to slightly wiggle their tentacles. A current that will cause a retraction of the tentacles is far to much current. Mind you, the lighting never changed in the prop tank. Within weeks, the expansion and growth blew me away. Iodine, yes, if you can add it without it being detrimental to your other corals, do so. Feeding, I have not seen a direct link to excessive feeding to promote optimal or rapid growth. If anything, excessive feeding will cause a host of other problems. I feed lightly every 3 days with a rotation of Cyclop Eez, ESV's Spray Dried Marine Phytoplankton, Mysis mixture and some green water. If any of you have doubts about Cyclop Ezz, allow me to put it to rest. My ricordeas and zoos love it.

I also agree 100 % with Sharkdude, all zoos are not created equal. I have some that grow like grass and some that are much slower. There are indeed lots of variables which will contribute to rapid reproduction, however, my experience with the above practices have always worked wonders for me. Keeping and growing a successful zoo collection isn't difficult at all.

I hope I've said something that helps. Good luck my friend.

Mucho
Old 01/28/2004, 08:29 PM
My guard dog!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice.