Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 09/12/2006, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

Talking A new reef arises

I will replace my aquarium to a completely new tank within the next weeks. This includes: new glass, new stand, new technology, new reef construction.
It becomes a thrilling concept! Particularly the reef construction gets extremely thrilling

In the front-end the most important basic data:

Lights: 100% T5 (what then otherwise)
Technology: Sub-cupboard filter
Reef construction: Surprise
Special: pure Zeovit

Why do I change of DSB to Zeovit? Also with the DSB and the bacteria I have had a very low nutrient and very successful system. In my old tank the technology was put IN the main aquarium therefore a ZEO filter was not possible. 2 reasons speak with me for Zeovit:

1: DSB with the time visually does not see integrated charming in the tank. The front-glass is covered with 12 cm of sand, which inside gets dark by the bio-activity. This already further takes something away from DSB to height in the pelvis.

2: A DSB runs independently and very successfully. But it cannot be checked. I can already influence some components with the Zeovit method: Run, crowd, a replacement of the material.

On mine web page we the development updated regularly.
www.hausriff.ch
The partly very big corals were segmented. Through this the reef construction and the placing can be formed more variously.

You see first graphics here. The marking is in German but the concept is obvious.

System:

Sump:

Lightings:

Parts of reef construction:

Regards,
Iwan

www.hausriff.ch
Old 09/12/2006, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Iwan looks great! I will be going from a 75G to a 180G soon and have also been considering the Zeo method with new setup instead of prodibio. Will be following along with your thread. Keep us updated! What will be the depth of new sandbed?
Old 09/12/2006, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

tagging after you last tank, I can't wait to see what you have goin' on now...
Old 09/12/2006, 11:25 AM
TOTM October 2007

Iwan,

looks liek you will be building pillars from the rock you have. I have done similar stuff in my 600g and it has made the tank far more visually appealing, and more natural looking.

I made mine by drilling the rock and mounting on PVC pipe, are you using an epoxy to join the rocks?

Paul.
Old 09/12/2006, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Hi Iwan

Super exciting Have you tired the new KZ T5s yet? Im impressed with the color and output they give.

Also have a look at the I-Spin reactors, much easier to use than the alternative. I'v been using the zeo basic 4 for 3 months now and since that time have become quite impressed with the effects, particularly the mulm release.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do in your hands

Are you still using Nightsun? If so how are you dosing it these days?

Cheers

Simon

Simon
Old 09/12/2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pwhitby
Iwan,

looks liek you will be building pillars from the rock you have. I have done similar stuff in my 600g and it has made the tank far more visually appealing, and more natural looking.

I made mine by drilling the rock and mounting on PVC pipe, are you using an epoxy to join the rocks?

Paul.
Hi Paul,

I will integrate several reef pillars. I used Reef Bond to fix the stones. That's a coral cement and after hardening (10 minutes) you'll have a permanent fixing. After the reef construction I'll use the same stuff to fix the frags.
Old 09/12/2006, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormtrker
Iwan looks great! I will be going from a 75G to a 180G soon and have also been considering the Zeo method with new setup instead of prodibio. Will be following along with your thread. Keep us updated! What will be the depth of new sandbed?
The depth of the new sandbed is only 1.5 inches. I'll use livesand because I like this fine and deep white ground.
The lighting are from ATI and also the new skimmer is from ATI. It is a "Bubble Master". It looks good, doesn't?

Old 09/12/2006, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Looks like it will be awesome!
Old 09/13/2006, 01:43 AM
Moved On

iwan your tank look amazing as it was.?

Are you also going to stop prodibio? if so why? as i thought it was working very well for you.
Old 09/13/2006, 02:32 AM
Gun runner

I am a little confused. Your other thread, all 10,000 pages was a virtual running ad for T5's and more important Prodibo. Now a complete switch to Zeovit makes me scratch my head a little. Maybe you need a challenge, although I cannot see your tank being any better than it is now. So my question is...what are you trying to accomplish with the change? Are you just setting up another tank or are you going to put your existing corals in it? Is this an experiment at the request of Zeovit? I am not at all saying it is wrong but am curious about the possible motive.
After following the other thread, I and another reefer are ordering prodibio tomorrow and starting the regiment as I am sure others already have. Not a real big deal but I am curious about the change.
Old 09/13/2006, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Looks like he was a bit unhappy with a couple of things in his previous tank, such as the look of the DSB. He's going to Zeo because, in theory, Zeo accomplishes the same host for bacteria that a DSB does, without the DSB. Plus, as he explains, Zeo might give him better flexibility than than DSB. You can change out some zeo, you can't just remove DSB.

Plus, as a hobbiest, once you find something you don't care for, it becomes a mission to make it better. Even though iwan's tank was much better than anything most of us could ever hope for, to him it could be "better". Good luck Iwan, I've enjoyed your threads for a long time.
Old 09/13/2006, 03:19 PM
Moved On

It might be a good experiment that Iwan is changing to full zeovit as it will be interesting to see if he gets the nice natural colours that he had as with zeovit you tend to get pale acropora and some unnatural colours.
Old 09/13/2006, 06:03 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
Quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUAB
tagging after you last tank, I can't wait to see what you have goin' on now...
I second that!!!

I cant wait to see this project unfold!
Old 09/14/2006, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VikeBron
I am a little confused. Your other thread, all 10,000 pages was a virtual running ad for T5's and more important Prodibo. Now a complete switch to Zeovit makes me scratch my head a little. Maybe you need a challenge, although I cannot see your tank being any better than it is now. So my question is...what are you trying to accomplish with the change? Are you just setting up another tank or are you going to put your existing corals in it? Is this an experiment at the request of Zeovit? I am not at all saying it is wrong but am curious about the possible motive.
After following the other thread, I and another reefer are ordering prodibio tomorrow and starting the regiment as I am sure others already have. Not a real big deal but I am curious about the change.
The change from Prodibio and DSB to Zeovit is not a change of my philosophy. I used and will use a extrem low nutrient system. Only the way to reach and hold this situation is different. The DSB in combination with Prodibio is a pretty good method and shows good results in my old tank and many other tanks. Now it's time for a change of scope and a new challenge.

Summary of my motives:

1: DSB with the time visually does not see integrated charming in the tank. The front-glass is covered with 12 cm of sand, which inside gets dark by the bio-activity. This already further takes something away from DSB to height in the pelvis.

2: A DSB runs independently and very successfully. But it cannot be checked. I can already influence some components with the Zeovit method: Run, crowd, a replacement of the material.

3: DSB and Prodibio is a very good system to reach a low-nutrient system. I am searching a new challenge and because that I change the tank, the system, the reef decoration.

Regards,
Iwan
Old 09/14/2006, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prance1520
Looks like he was a bit unhappy with a couple of things in his previous tank, such as the look of the DSB. He's going to Zeo because, in theory, Zeo accomplishes the same host for bacteria that a DSB does, without the DSB. Plus, as he explains, Zeo might give him better flexibility than than DSB. You can change out some zeo, you can't just remove DSB.

Plus, as a hobbiest, once you find something you don't care for, it becomes a mission to make it better. Even though iwan's tank was much better than anything most of us could ever hope for, to him it could be "better". Good luck Iwan, I've enjoyed your threads for a long time.
Totaly agree
I hope you'll enjoy also this thread now and in future.
Old 09/14/2006, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TryTheChi
Hi Iwan

Super exciting Have you tired the new KZ T5s yet? Im impressed with the color and output they give.

Also have a look at the I-Spin reactors, much easier to use than the alternative. I'v been using the zeo basic 4 for 3 months now and since that time have become quite impressed with the effects, particularly the mulm release.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do in your hands

Are you still using Nightsun? If so how are you dosing it these days?

Cheers

Simon
It is exciting!

You are also using the Zeo basic 4 (Zeovit, Zeo-Bac, Zeo-Food 7, Zeostart 2)....good! So we can learn from each other.

Cheers,
Iwan
Old 09/14/2006, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Hai iwan, why you not use BB tank and zeovit. Maybe you have the amazing coral.
Old 09/14/2006, 08:25 PM
Whats your problem

i cant wait to follow this thread

Steve Messmer
Old 09/14/2006, 09:05 PM

Looking forward to updates!
Old 09/15/2006, 12:24 AM
reef obsessed

Get that bad boy going!
Old 09/15/2006, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by messy1messmer
i cant wait to follow this thread
Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Looking forward to updates!
Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
Get that bad boy going!
Hello friends.
You must still have a little patience.
The new tank is comming at the weekend. I will always keep you on the most current state of knowledge!
Old 09/15/2006, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

Just a quick questions please take no offense, as I was inspired by your orginal tank and am currently planning on setuping up my 225 along the same lines, dsb, prob, ect. So my question is..

Did your sandbed crash from soaking up all the nutrients for the past few years, or is your current system running just great?

Thanks, just wondering what to expect.
Old 09/15/2006, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MammothReefer
Just a quick questions please take no offense, as I was inspired by your orginal tank and am currently planning on setuping up my 225 along the same lines, dsb, prob, ect. So my question is..

Did your sandbed crash from soaking up all the nutrients for the past few years, or is your current system running just great?

Thanks, just wondering what to expect.
My DSB runs until now very good! I never had a problem with DSB. A DSB is a very easy and successful way to reduce nutrients!
Old 09/15/2006, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Great to hear! Thanks
Old 09/20/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

My project is a step further again, the new tank is "flown in"