Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Im bringing the wife next time..
Old 11/29/2007, 10:58 AM
Patient Reefer

There is an ebay store that's located in Palm Bay, FL that sells copepods. When you go to ebay, search "Reef Scavengers Inverts and Corals" and it will come up.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:33 PM
Underground Art Studio

Joe - yeah you go ahead and she'll be so bored then you'll be in big trouble - LOL. I have a feeling she hears enough reefer talk, oh but then again it could be lots of fun, we could gang up on you.

Mike - I checked out the place you were talking about - NICE. The best part is $15 shipment if you live in FL. Might have to place my order with them. Thanks for the information!
Old 11/29/2007, 08:35 PM
Underground Art Studio

BTW Joe - She is always welcome and you know that .
Old 11/29/2007, 10:06 PM
Patient Reefer

I ordered 600. I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Must say absolutely amazing tank build, its been an absolute joy to spend the morning here in the UK looking through this thread. I can't wait for some updated pics!

Keep up the amazing work..

Also, just as a sidenote... That clay bust was amazingly beautiful, your obviously very talented!
Old 11/30/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Amazing Job! 2 thumbs up for a great thought out build.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:35 PM
Underground Art Studio

Hey nice to see some new faces posting and enjoying the build. We locals get talking and I forget we're on "National RC" - LOL.

bryangraham05 - Thank you very much for the compliment on my art piece. I wasn't sure how, shall I say "non-art" people would take it. I see that is an interest of yours and might be a reason you noticed. I wanted to do something special for my living room but not really "fish" as a sculpture. I have some glass pieces I'll be working on so more art is on it's way (few months down the road). I hope you continue to follow along as I still have some interesting reefing, woodworking, art and of course livestock to come.

RayAllen - Thank you and I hope you continue to follow along. I see you have a 210g in the works, good luck with it and please post your build link here so we all can check in on you.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:38 PM
Underground Art Studio

mflamb - Please do and just to let you know - you took all they had!

OK - I have two problems, well one is a question and the other is more of the problem.

First, I'm making my 75g (refuge) into a RDSB (Remote Deep Sand Bed) and my question is how deep should I make it. I have it 5 inches right now and I believe for a normal DSB it's between 4 and 6 inches. So, please if anyone has done this let me know.

This is the 75g Refuge/RDSB. I have to say this sand is great and at a great price!

My problem is that my Dart is leaking! The Dart is on my ReefLo skimmer when I turn it off - it leaks. Turn it back on and the leak stops.

This is a suction leak - so at this time I can't turn the skimmer off like I wanted to so my tank can cycle. Anyone have/had this problem? I guess I'll have to drain the skimmer and remove that connection - put it back together and see if that fixes it.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

well I would go to 6- 8 inches

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/30/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Here is a link to Anthony Calfo's thread. He suggest going as deep as possible 10-12 inches...

Bart

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic20039-13-1.aspx
Old 11/30/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

8"
Old 12/01/2007, 08:18 AM
Underground Art Studio

huge1day - Excellent thread and I've only had the time to go through half so far. Thank you so much for the link, also I might add another link here on RC about RDSB:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=595109

I'll need to read both to have a good understanding of the benefits and some of the pitfalls. It appears most of the "cons" are from poor maintenance of water parameters or not setting up the flow in the RDSB properly. After reading both I'll report back.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

There is the orginal thread that was started here on RC before Calfo left. But I never can seem to get the search button to work for me. In fact though, but the same info is in the link posted. I am picking up a 72x24x14 tank next weekend that I had a glass divider put into the middle so I will have "2" 72x12x14 tanks. One is going to be a rdsb and the other a refugium. I believe that it is going to reduce my nitrates greatly.

Bart
Old 12/01/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

I hope it works out for you. If i found a small leak i used a little medical grade wax to stop the leak. It acts as a caulk.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

after reading the RDSB thread Carol will you have a 20" dsb? .. its a very interesting read. I may employ the idea if nitrates become an issue
Old 12/01/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

I found your dream anemone Carol
Old 12/01/2007, 05:28 PM
Underground Art Studio

Oh Joe - that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get it? The colors in that BTA is wonderful. Did you buy the one John had - with the yellow tips? Hey that strainer is a great idea!
Old 12/01/2007, 05:46 PM
Underground Art Studio

Joe, I still can't get over the colors of your anemone - I just love it. If it ever has babies please put me first on your list .

huge1day - that's going to be an awesome setup. From what I've read it will lower your nitrates - so you are on the right track. How deep are you going to make it?

Doc_B - Thanks for the advice on the leak. I'm going to take it apart and try to fix it that way but if not that might be an option.

poknsnok - 20" might work . I'm thinking around 10-12, as it is I need to purchase more sand - No not another sand buy - LOL!!! I'm using up all my "0" grade so I might have to see if John has any left. BTW I love your new avatar , is that pumpkin or rufus.
Old 12/01/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I am going 10-11 inches. Based on everything I read I think it will help with nitrates. I am going to put black acrylic inside the tank to keep the light out...

Bart
Old 12/02/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
Oh Joe - that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get it? The colors in that BTA is wonderful. Did you buy the one John had - with the yellow tips? Hey that strainer is a great idea!
Thats not mine carol.. no anemones in my tank.. its a type of bubbletip that Paul Whitby (totm October) got. its called a Flame Anemone.. I attatched the link to the page and the vendor.. However seeing that anemone could change my mind

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=9

http://www.zoanuts.com/
Old 12/02/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Thats Rufus ... it was about 5 am and he was too pooped to fight it..
Old 12/03/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Carol I used the pipe dope thread sealer with tape on my dart. I put plumbers tape on every thread connection. make sure you put it on in hte right direction so when you tioghten your connector it doesn't loosen up.

When I am afraid of certain connectors I always use a little pipe dope.

Everything looks like it is coming along great. Excellent work and planning.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/03/2007, 07:46 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks Eric for techinque and I've used the thread sealer for most but this one I only used tape. What I found was when I put it on I only tightened it until the Venturi was facing upward - it wasn't tight enough. I found in this months ReefKeeping Mag in the product review about the skimmer - "The one issue I had to deal with was aligning the Venturi to face upward, rather than at a slight angle downward (Figure 3), once the elbow was fitted onto the pump. " I guess I wasn't the only one - I'll have to try P. Whitby's solution.

In this location it doesn't leak, but the hose to the Venturi doesn't reach to air intake. I'll have to play around with it to get it in the up right direction.

I added the baffles for my sump this weekend - now I can't run my pumps at 100%. Not that I could before but now it really gets low!

This is with the pumps backed off about 1/2 the power - I'm still getting a water fall.

I wanted to put a few rocks in the middle as a filter and I didn't want any sand getting into the pumps - might have to re-think my design.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

That makes perfect sense. Where did you get your glass for your sump?

Mike I live in Palm Bay. Do either of you have hte direct link? I couldn't find them in ebay.

(Red House for my 425 system)