Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 07/22/2007, 09:52 PM
Nothing to put here

OMG! I sent this member $150 for a sequence dart pump about two months ago, recieved NOTHING and have not heard from him. Tried to file with paypal, said they couldnt help. Cant send him a PM either, says he has chosen not to accept. What should I do?!
Old 07/22/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member.

Call his mommy. LOL
Old 07/22/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

LOL, Yep call his poor mommy she will take care of him. Some where along the way mommy will go broke, and thats a shame.
Old 07/22/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I'll send you a PM with my contact info shortly, maybe I can help you.

Honestly, I really don't think you'll see that pump unless he left it at his mother's business. That money was spent a long time ago; I highly doubt you'll see it without some sort of law enforcement help, and I can't vouch for how much help they will be. I have info for the local police department and how to submit mail and Internet fraud claims online.

I was curious if he ever sent the other people in that thread the things they bought. I'm not surprised by this.

This guy just really doesn't care. Maybe he was a nice guy under better circumstances, as a lot of local reefers have vouched for him, but believe me - after three months of trying to deal with him, I can tell you that following through with his transactions is not even a remote priority.

He never answered my PMs, and according to my message tracking he hasn't logged onto RC since June 21st, so I'm not sure about how he changed his account to no longer accept PMs.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Ah...your PM was not received because he has moved on, and rightly so, in my very humble opinion.
Old 07/23/2007, 05:44 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
OMG! I sent this member $150 for a sequence dart pump about two months ago, recieved NOTHING and have not heard from him. Tried to file with paypal, said they couldnt help. Cant send him a PM either, says he has chosen not to accept. What should I do?!

Carman34l@yahoo.com

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 07/23/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member.

I think e-mailing the guy will be useless as he won't answer.
Old 07/23/2007, 09:02 AM
Nothing to put here

smiller, I have been emailing him the whole time. He has only sent me one email, one month ago, saying he shipped it and was going to find the tracking info. Before he was banned, I sent him PM's, and in message tracking it said he read them, but never responded.

Acropooper, thanks for helping me out. I will send you an email.
Old 07/23/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Ugh.....trust me, that pump was NEVER shipped.
Old 07/23/2007, 09:06 AM
Garbologist

I understand. I didn't know if you had his email since his PM ability is gone. Sounds like unless something unusual happens then you are probably just plain messed over. Best of luck to you.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 07/23/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member.

Like i said you need to call his mommy. Tell her you are going to file a report with the cops. She'll pay the money. Boy is this kid in trouble.
Old 07/23/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Dude just call the cops. It blatently evident that he really doesn't care what anybody thinks. Heck it took his MOM mailing the skimmer for Acropooper to get his stuff. The only reason that happened was because it just happened to be at her store. Just call the cops and have them pay him a friendly visit, to remind him he has a legal obligation to send items people buy from him.

And next time use a check, Mail Fraud is a felony, and the Postal Inspector takes it VERY seriously.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 07/23/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

LOJ- I am very sorry to hear that this was not an isolated incident. This whole thing has been so unlike the Scott that I knew. I guess if I were in your position I would take the info Acropooper gives you and call the apropriate authorities. That is about all you can do. You can call his mom, but I doubt the pump is sitting there too, unless he is living with her (which he was not the last time I had spoken to him several months ago.) Just curious here, but why did it take you so long to find the feedback forum and post up here? If someone did not send my stuff in a timely mannor I would have been all over leaving bad feedback the moment communication ceased. If nothing else it could have saved some other poor sap the hazard of dealing with a dead beat seller.
Old 07/23/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

FWIW, I would at least check with his mother first because I'm not sure how motivated the police in MN are, but here in NYC, I don't see them getting too worked up about pursuing $150.

Check with her and then absolutely call the cops. The reason I didn't call right away is because I knew where the skimmer was and the cops would charge me to ship anyway, and who knows if they'd do it gently.
Old 07/23/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member.

Yeah $150 is not a big deal to the cops. Even if you do file a report the cops aren't going to jump all over it they have bigger things to deal with first. My friends a cop.
Old 07/23/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

loj- got any frequent flier miles?
Old 07/26/2007, 09:12 AM
Nothing to put here

I called his local police department, they told me to call mine. I called mine and they told me to go online and fill out an internet fraud form. I did that, but I feel like there is more someone should be able to do. I need a cop to show up at his moms business and say TELL ME WHERE SCOTT IS, or to call verizon with his name and number and ask for the associated billing address. I'm just kinda mad that all the cops are probably busy pulling over teenagers who are going 7 mph over the speed limit while I have a real problem that no one will help me with.

I'm 17 and work part time. $150 is a big deal to me.
Old 07/26/2007, 09:46 AM
Nothing to put here

I called his mother again at her work. She told me she could not give me any contact information for scott, said she would apprecieate me not calling anymore, and hung up on me. I have also called his local precinct twice more. Left my name and number on a detective's answering machine once, and the last time talked to a man who took my name and a brief description of what happened, then told me to file with my local precinct. I called my local precinct and this time they said they were going to send an officer to the address I gave them (address at which my computer made the money transfer), except I DONT LIVE THERE ANYMORE I MOVED 7 HOURS AWAY. This is so stupid and complicated i want to scream.

Last edited by LobsterOfJustice; 07/26/2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07/26/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member.

Keep calling his mom's work until she gives you the info. Sooner or later she'll crack. That's how detectives do it.
Old 07/26/2007, 07:47 PM
Nothing to put here

But that's not my job. That's a detectives job. I should not have to do that. Other people get paid to do that.

I am emailing my mother a statement, so that when the police show up at her house, she can read it to them. She is not thrilled about what the neighbors will think when they see a police car out front however.
Old 07/26/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Each state has a internet fraud division and they love these guys usually they make a bigger bust once they obtain all the computers and do forensics. I would try to get in contact with them. Tell them he is actively trying to scam people and show them the proof, you would be surprised how they react. These divisions do nothing but computer crimes. The locals very rarely follow up on this stuff.
Old 07/26/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

http://www.ic3.gov/ The FBI's Cyber Crime Complaint Center
Old 07/26/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Use his moms business address since thats all she is willing to give you.

Also make note that the goods from the other guys order was at the business and that she actually shipped his stuff to him after a second charge for shipping. Its a crying shame that this has to happen but if she will not work with you then you have no choice. For what its worth, I wouldn't contact the mother again, since she specifically told you not to. However I hope that someone reading this tells her that your about to involve the FBI, just for her sake. But don't call and threaten that your involving them you will only hurt yourself and land yourself in Jail for Harrassing communications.

Last edited by Nitroq2; 07/26/2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07/26/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member.

Yeah show the FBI this thread too. Or the detective if you hire one.
Old 07/26/2007, 10:41 PM
Team RC Member

trying to collect money or goods that are owed to you is not harassment. what you cant do is tell everyone that answers the phone "so and so ripped me off". call every half an hour and JUST leave your name and number. if they say stop calling, then you say, i will when im contacted by whoever and the problem is rectified

------------------------------------------------