Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer and why?
B-Ionic 53 51.46%
Randys blend 50 48.54%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12/03/2005, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

Funny, I've never noticed how well mine mixes up. I just pour it into a dark plastic one gallon container, and shake like crazy. Always assumed it's mixing well. I shake it everytime I pick it up also.
Old 12/04/2005, 12:07 AM
SPS Freak

I don't mix the baking soda. I simply dose it straight daily. My tank uses up 1.5 tbsp of baking soda. I will dose that for a week and test. I then adjust as needed. I test also for the calcium and only dose the calcium mixture(not dry) to what is exactly used in my system. To me it is equal to 2 part since both stay in balance.

It's a PITA to mix baking soda as it almost sounds like glass when it hardens in the container.
Old 12/04/2005, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
It's a PITA to mix baking soda as it almost sounds like glass when it hardens in the container.
I no longer have a problem mixing the baking soda (although I bake it first so it is really the same as washing soda). I use a large drill-operated paint mixer designed for mixing paint in 5 gal buckets. It is powder-coated so it doesn't rust and I only use my cordless drill for mixing it. The trick is to keep it stirring while adding the powder to the water and don't stop until it is essentially all dissolved. With baked baking soda it really doesn't take that long. If it is allowed to settle for even a few minutes it may cake up and harden. Then it is a PITA to dissolve.

Allen
Old 12/04/2005, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

I'm planning to make up my first batch today. For those who bake the baking soda, How long do you bake it for? I couldn't find it in the directions.
Old 12/04/2005, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

1 hour at 300 degrees.
Old 12/04/2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks!
Old 12/04/2005, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

This is what I used for the ca part because it also contains magnesium and strontium.
http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...dvCalcium.html
Old 12/04/2005, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

once the alk part is mixed it stays liquid form right?
Old 12/04/2005, 08:42 PM
SPS Freak

But when you bake baking soda, if I'm correct, you lose half the strength of it so it takes twice as much to dose. The plus side is it will raise ph and not lower it like regular baking soda. I dose so little, it's easier for me to just dump in pure baking soda.

I'll have to try that mixing method you use one day.
Old 12/04/2005, 08:49 PM
HELP SLOW

But when you bake baking soda, if I'm correct, you lose half the strength of it so it takes twice as much to dose.

Actually baked baking soda is stronger as the water is baked out. It takes less. (see the reef calculator)

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 12/04/2005, 10:27 PM
SPS Freak

I guess you are right. I swore the article I read on reefkeeping stated otherwise but the calculator is showing otherwise. How long do you guys bake your baking soda for?
Old 12/04/2005, 10:59 PM
A. newbee

Quote:
Originally posted by david8956
1 hour at 300 degrees.
Old 12/04/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

1 hr at 300
Old 12/04/2005, 11:09 PM
SPS Freak

Thanks. I guess if I could read, I'd know that.
Old 12/04/2005, 11:19 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
How do you guys get the baking soda to mix in completely?
I slowly pour the baking soda into warm water while mixing(on top where the baking soda is hitting the water) with an egg beater. Works well for me.
Old 12/05/2005, 06:51 PM
Registered Lunatic

Why not just use washing soda instead of baking soda?
Old 12/05/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Because Randy said he prefered to use baking soda in the receipe.
Old 12/06/2005, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

Washing soda is not food grade-I use it anyway. 1-to-3 ratio w/ baking soda and 2.5 cups/gl. I use a microwave to warm water and a blender on lowest speed and slowly add baking/washing soda.

Peladow for Ca - 2cups/gl mixes easy but get warm

I also use online calcultor to determine levels and how much dry Alk or Ca to use.

I add my Epsom salts to my kalk to dose over several days, this avoids bleaching.

I like it because it's easy,convenient and cheap. Works great!!
Old 12/06/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Don't know if I missed this in the thread somewhere, but where do you buy the right kind of ice melt (dowflake or peladow)? I looked at Wal-mart, Home Depot, Big-Lots, Feldman's, and Westlake Hardware and all of their ice melt's contained: calcium chloride, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and magnesium chloride. Thanks
Old 12/06/2005, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from Russ at www.buckeyefieldsuppy.com
Old 12/06/2005, 11:46 PM
Chuey and Packer

I have found the baking soda mixture will clump at times several weeks after it seemed to be mixed up real well. I have no idea what causes this but seems to occur when get down to the bottom of the bottle that I have mixed it in. Maybe concentration changes which causes the clumping.
Old 12/07/2005, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grudgeon
Don't know if I missed this in the thread somewhere, but where do you buy the right kind of ice melt (dowflake or peladow)? I looked at Wal-mart, Home Depot, Big-Lots, Feldman's, and Westlake Hardware and all of their ice melt's contained: calcium chloride, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and magnesium chloride. Thanks

Surely someone knows if this is ok to use
Old 12/07/2005, 12:54 AM
Chuey and Packer

I would post this question w Randy
Old 12/07/2005, 07:04 AM
Catch and release

Quote:
I have found the baking soda mixture will clump at times several weeks after it seemed to be mixed up real well. I have no idea what causes this but seems to occur when get down to the bottom of the bottle that I have mixed it in. Maybe concentration changes which causes the clumping.
I know letting it get cold(down around freezing) will do that.

Quote:
Hardware stores usually carry it. Since you haven't found it there you might try the Co-op. You can order it online if you have to.
Chris
Old 12/07/2005, 01:13 PM
Roadracing Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by marilynrn711
I have found the baking soda mixture will clump at times several weeks after it seemed to be mixed up real well. I have no idea what causes this but seems to occur when get down to the bottom of the bottle that I have mixed it in.
I've observed this happening as well.

fishdoc11 - I agree with the cooling down affect, but do you think it's also due to oversaturation? When I mix per Randy's recipe, I use a blender that allows the baking soda to dissolve completely. However, the solution is milky-like and it's not until all the solids settle at the bottom of the reservoir that the liquid becomes clear. Perhaps I'm not mixing it well enough? Or again, is oversaturation a potential factor?
Quote:
Originally posted by fishdoc11
Hardware stores usually carry it. Since you haven't found it there you might try the Co-op. You can order it online if you have to.
Chris
Yes, I'm located in southern California so calcium chloride (namely, Peladow or Dowflake) isn't readily available. I didn't want to risk using calcium chloride (other than Peladow or Dowflake) sold through our local building supply stores so I bit the bullet and ordered Peladow online from Main Street Seed & Supply (located in MI). So you folks on the west coast that don't get snow during the winters, ordering online is something to consider (shipping was bit hefty though).
-Gunther, WSMC #690 (semi-retired)