Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/10/2008, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

Yay! I think a 120 is a great idea. You're going to have so many house projects - decorating, personalizing, etc. That is part of the reason I decided on a 90g instead of a larger one. I'd rather take great care of a 90g than ok care of a 240. You've done such a great job with this 75 and I can't wait to see the 120 upgrade. Yay again!
Old 01/10/2008, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

By the way, I think you should take an earlier suggestion about renaming this thread. You're on 120,000 views - why start over now???!!!
Old 01/10/2008, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

I'll help keep your thread going! How are the sugar gliders doing? I miss mine. When I have time in my life to care for them again I know who to I.M first!
Old 01/10/2008, 02:52 AM
Registered Member

Hey nanogurl, Not sure if you remember me, But i love your new tank and how it's coming along.
Can't wait to see the bigger one.

Ocean is a beauty
Old 01/10/2008, 06:45 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bohlke
Well I will be very interested in your 120 upgrade I was thinking of what fish I would like to add to mine when its ready and I am just not sure if its enough room for a couple of tangs. I have a yellow in my 65 now and its a model citizen but I have heard that they can be aggressive to other tangs in the tank unless they were the last tang added. Whats your timeline for the 120?
I'm going to start getting stuff for it right away, but the tank itself won't be setup until march at some point once we move in.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:47 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
Yay! I think a 120 is a great idea. You're going to have so many house projects - decorating, personalizing, etc. That is part of the reason I decided on a 90g instead of a larger one. I'd rather take great care of a 90g than ok care of a 240. You've done such a great job with this 75 and I can't wait to see the 120 upgrade. Yay again!

aww thanks Yea, you're right. The house project is just so much to deal with... and between the gliders, ferrets, house, bf and fish it's just too much.

I love your 90 thread you guys are too cute
Old 01/10/2008, 06:47 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
By the way, I think you should take an earlier suggestion about renaming this thread. You're on 120,000 views - why start over now???!!!

hehehe i don't know... it might be nice to start over fresh Maybe you're right I should just keep this one going idk.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:48 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by ahullsb
I'll help keep your thread going! How are the sugar gliders doing? I miss mine. When I have time in my life to care for them again I know who to I.M first!

heheh Good thank you. I had twin leus born and the mom has twins again... so they will either be hets or leus... and I just had my first white variation born on the 4th which was really exciting! Thanks for asking =)
Old 01/10/2008, 06:49 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrme
Hey nanogurl, Not sure if you remember me, But i love your new tank and how it's coming along.
Can't wait to see the bigger one.

Ocean is a beauty
Thanks! =) If things go well I should have the tank in Feb.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:50 AM
Girls Rule!

Octupus skimmers.

What are your opinions? I like the idea that you can run them out of sump.

What are your thoughts on out of sump skimmers? Better or worse?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

i do not have an octupus skimmer but my skimmer is inside my tank its only been running for a couple days and i love it already its picking up alot of bad things even though there is no rock or sand in yet. Take a look at my thread
Old 01/10/2008, 07:37 AM
Girls Rule!

Hi thanks.

I have ASM skimmers and like them, I was just wondering about the Octopus ones. I am probably going to buy the ASM G4xx for the 120.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:31 AM
clownfish fan

Nano Gurl i think you can do better than asm for your new tank, i like external Recirculating skimmers, like the Euro reefs, H&S,

Also check out these new skimmers they are really nice and great prices.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1287102
Old 01/10/2008, 09:46 AM
Girls Rule!

Thanks GSM. I can't afford the ER right now... maybe some day.

Those skimmers look interesting. Any idea what makes them better then the ASM?
Old 01/10/2008, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Good decision NG, looks like you have done your homework and made the best decision for y'all.

With any luck you will grow tired of this crazy hobby, decide you want to climb Everest, visit every major ski resort in the USA (starting with Utah),and buy a condo in Arizona and still have cash left over for kids.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:28 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Thanks GSM. I can't afford the ER right now... maybe some day.

Those skimmers look interesting. Any idea what makes them better then the ASM?
the design and pumps they are just better all around.
more air, less turbulence, less energy
Old 01/10/2008, 07:39 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuby2k
Good decision NG, looks like you have done your homework and made the best decision for y'all.

With any luck you will grow tired of this crazy hobby, decide you want to climb Everest, visit every major ski resort in the USA (starting with Utah),and buy a condo in Arizona and still have cash left over for kids.
lol... that does sound pretty good right now! thanks =)
Old 01/10/2008, 07:41 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
the design and pumps they are just better all around.
more air, less turbulence, less energy
Okay thanks... I'll research it some more.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Nanogurl take a look at my thread click the red house or you can go on the reef discussion
Old 01/10/2008, 07:50 PM
Girls Rule!

I have it's looking good!
Old 01/10/2008, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Hey! I can say that I'm very pleased with my Octopus skimmer. I don't have years' experience in this hobby, so I can't give a good comparison of similar skimmers. Based on your future 120, are you looking at something like this ?http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...products_id=73

I would have gotten this model, but the NW150 was more in my [cheap] price range. The recirculating model still isn't that expensive in comparison to similar skimmers. Plus, it can be plumbed to work outside of the sump (sounds like a job for clown, right?).

I haven't modded my skimmer and I believe it's performing very well. It's quiet and doesn't require a lot of power to run. This is what I came home to today.....

+1 for the Octopus skimmers!
Old 01/10/2008, 08:20 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks JCP!

My problem is I don't really know. I've used ASM skimmers on my tanks before, and I like them they have worked well.. but I have nothing to compare them too. I am nervous spending a lot on one that isn't as good.

I've read that recirculating models aren't that much better then just regular needle wheels...

I also don't know if running the skimmer in or out of sump is better?

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Recirculating models tend to be more efficient, you can keep the water in the skimmer longer, Not sure if you've ever looked into it, but Recirc skimmers can either be fed by your overflow, or a seperate pump, such as a maxi-jet... then of course the Recirc pump does all the work inside the skimmer......

As for out of sump, I was always too chicken to try it,,, because of floods,, not sure how many people had floods with them, but I like to be safe...

Have you checked out Orca Systems custom skimmers? (protein-skimmer.com) I have one on my 120, in-sump, recirculating.... Couldn't be happier!! Awesome craftsmanship! That and the price was right!

If you need more info on the skimmer, check out my homepage, under the 120g section.....
Old 01/10/2008, 10:22 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks 2far.. that's a good point i forgot about. Okay, so in sump it is!
Old 01/11/2008, 07:33 AM
Girls Rule!

So this is what I am thinking for the new setup:

Oceanic Tech 120g In-Wall Bare Bottom (starboard)
Home Made 40" stand
75g sump with 4 chambers (1 settle, 1 skimmer, 1 possible frag section, 1 return)
ASMGxx 4 Skimmer (still looking into this to change out)
Marco Rocks and Figi Live Rock mixture from 75g
2 x 150w DE MH Phoenix 14k on Reef Optix III fixtures and Ice Cap Ballasts (same as 75)

I am still thinking about things. I don't know if the 4 chamber sump is a good idea or not. The idea would be low flow to settle to make it easier to siphon out prior to getting to the skimmer.

I am not planning on much if any SPS so I am hoping the 150 MH will be enough. They are bleaching my 75 quite a bit so I think I will be okay for what I want to keep.

I am planning on lots of flow to keep things moving. I am having a lot of nitrate problems with my eel and tang so I wanted to try something different. I also do not plan on running a fuge with chaeto.. but rather high skimming and high flow.

Really interested in thoughts and comments.