Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2004, 08:20 AM
Volunteer Tang Police

Question Feeding questions

Up untill now I havent been worried about feeding, but then I started hearing about how people buy shrimp fomr the store and prepair mined live food, etc. Can I feed my fish flake food, freeze dried food, and the occasional mashed shrimp??

Also, how and what, would one feed an anemone/coral?
Old 05/31/2004, 08:32 AM
Go Sooners!

We mix misis shrimp, krill, brine shrimp, (the liquids)-microvert, zooplankton and cyclopeeze in a plastic cup (make sure its not big pieces, chop it with a spoon in the cup while mixing)

You can pick up the packs of mixed frozen at most LFS or Petsmart/PetCo.
Dont go overboard with the amount that you mix. Cut a cube in half and put a few drops of the liquids I mentioned in. Your fish will go crazy for it and you can hand feed your coral with a syringe. Hope this helps some
Old 05/31/2004, 08:44 AM
Volunteer Tang Police

with the syringe, do you just plop it on top of them??
Old 05/31/2004, 09:10 AM
Go Sooners!

Usually we drop the food in the way of a powerhead. The current blows the food in all directions of the tank. As far as hand feeding the corals, we use the syringe directly in front of the coral. Its pretty amazing to watch them suck up the food. Direct feeding of once or twice a week is enough. Some people dont even direct feed.
Old 05/31/2004, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

JennKerry how often do you feed that mixture?
Old 05/31/2004, 12:21 PM
Go Sooners!

We feed that no more then 3 times a week. The rest of the time we feed flakes. Omega One makes GREAT flakes, you will see colors enhanced and your fish will grow big and fast.
We hand fed the tank last night, so we wont do it again until Wed.
The Goniopora is one of the hardest corals to care for so that one is on the tip top of the list to make sure its eating.
We hand feed our Frogspawn, Trumpets, Hammer, Goniopora, and both brains.
This way, we make sure the nutrients are getting to them and that the crabs and fish dont make off with all the food.
I would have to say since we started this new feeding method last month, we have seen growth in all the corals.
Our hammer is even splitting AND growing a new baby off one. We started with two, and now have four, and soon five.
Old 05/31/2004, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Whoops, I don't see nor have you mentioned having fish.
Old 05/31/2004, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

I use a cheese/veggie box grater to grate frozen flesh (works esp. well when the flesh is totally frozen)...
Old 05/31/2004, 01:46 PM
Go Sooners!

Opps, sorry. Ok, we HAD a yellow tang, flame angel, and two perc clowns. They had an untimely death due to a falutly heater that sent electrical current through water.
BUT...we now have 1 four Striped Damsel, 1 Royal Gramma, and 2 Chromis. I want another Clown but Im afraid that he will try to host the Goniopora.