Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/14/2007, 09:36 AM
Secret Member

Who has the longest missing fish record?

In my old 33G, I didn't see my Tangaroa shrimp goby for a couple of months, I thought he was dead, then one fine day he appeared.

Now in my 120G, he is missing again after I added a batch of fishes, so I'm looking for some consolation here.

So now, what is the longest period of time that you didn't see a fish, and the one day it appeared?
Old 02/14/2007, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

I had a clown that jumped into my overflow and I didn't notice, I thought he jumped and my cat got him or something. He ended up living there for seven months before I saw him again when I was cleaning the overflow out, he just happened to be near the surface when I saw a flash of orange/white. He was perfectly healthy and was accepting pelllet food when I dropped it in there, lol. I got him out and gave him away since I had already replaced him with a new pair. Fish can be really hardy!
Old 02/14/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

not a fish, but i lost a pom pom crab and didnt see him for a few months, i just noticed him yesterday, and it had eggs??? how the hell does this happen with only one pom pom?
Old 02/14/2007, 10:09 AM
Secret Member

Blazer88,

7 months? I say you got a pretty good chance winning this record.

Btw, fellow Canon shooter here. You got some great pictures there in your galleries.

chelskisw6,

May be some hitchhiker crab did it?
Old 02/14/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Human females produce eggs once a month too but nothing comes of them unless they become fertile.
Old 02/14/2007, 11:26 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Does a fish just appearing one day in your tank count as a fish missing? My mom hadn't added anything to her 55gal setup for around 6 months and one day a small goby-like fish just appeared. She has no idea how it was introduced. Had to have been brought in on a coral or shell.
Old 02/14/2007, 11:38 AM
Secret Member

Rustybucket,

Since technically you can't find what you didn't lose, and you can't lose what you don't own, I guess it counts as missing.
Old 02/14/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

For about 2 months in my 250gal, the only fish (and the first inhabitant) in the tank was a tiny Rainsford Goby. Shortly after introduction the tank went cloudy due to water problems and we were sure to see him in there somewhere sometime, deceased.
Everything was awful, high nitrite, high ammonia... you could only see in about an inch into the fog.
I could not find him. I thought for sure he was dead. I sent him to his doom, it was horrible.

Then once the water started clearing on its own and I was about to start sifting through the rocks(again), there he was checking us out after having turned half the tank into various holes and refuges for him to hide.

Little fellow made a tunnel network of the rock work.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:17 PM
Team RC Member

I have a yellow watchman goby that has been in my internal overflow for almost 3 years. I noticed he was gone and though he had ben eaten until one day a few weeks later it showed up in my sump. I put it back in the display tank and within minuts he jumped back into the overflow and has been there ever since. Once a year I remove the canopy for a good reflector cleaning and new bulbs and I climb up on a ladder and peek in and he is still swimming away so I just leave him alone.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:21 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

A customer of mine placed a comet/marine betta/Calloplesiops altivelis in their tank and it was missing for a little over a year. They only found it after they tore their tank down to move it.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

I have a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp i added about a month ago? They have been mia for about 3 weeks
Old 02/14/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

got a firefish that has been living in my overflow for about 3 months now... I've pulled him out 3 times and he just ends up there a day later...so he lives there now.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

I put a pair of yellow eel gobys in my tank and I thought they had died. I broke down my tank to go bare bottom 4 years later and I found that one was still there and one inch bigger. I put it back in and have seen it two time so far.
Old 02/14/2007, 06:40 PM
CMAS Member!

Lettuce nudibranch lost for two months and found in sump. also, another good contestant is a horseshoe crab. Dropped in the tank, immediately Barried itself, didn't see it for three months and all the sudden there he was.
Old 02/14/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Snowflake eel

swam down the drain pipe (long drain pipe, like 40 feet) and into the sump, thank goodness, there were no bioballs
Old 02/15/2007, 10:28 AM
Secret Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Amphiprion
A customer of mine placed a comet/marine betta/Calloplesiops altivelis in their tank and it was missing for a little over a year. They only found it after they tore their tank down to move it.
You are the winner at the moment, though the fish isn't exactly yours.
Old 02/15/2007, 10:38 AM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

Quote:
Originally posted by saj01c
I put a pair of yellow eel gobys in my tank and I thought they had died. I broke down my tank to go bare bottom 4 years later and I found that one was still there and one inch bigger. I put it back in and have seen it two time so far.
Great story!

Makes you wonder what ot was doing for those four years
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.
Old 02/15/2007, 10:42 AM
wait, isn't protein good?

i think Blazer is the winner with the clown in his overflow, as it is HIS fish.

"What's money worth if you can't face yourself in the mirror every day?"
Old 02/15/2007, 10:50 AM
Moved In

I think Watchman Gobies are famous for disappearing. I've gone months without seeing mine. Just when you count them out, they show up.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/15/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Well I had a lawnmower blenny that came with my liverock. It stayed 20 minutes out of water and it suddently appeared in my tank when I putted the rock in the water. I was so surprised! A free fish!
Old 02/15/2007, 11:01 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by Navyblue
You are the winner at the moment, though the fish isn't exactly yours.
Nope, just throwing a wild (but true) story out there. I honestly couldn't believe it when I heard it.
Old 02/15/2007, 12:49 PM
Secret Member

Great guys, keep the stories coming.

Ok, Blazer88 is the winner for fish owner category, and Amphiprion for the fish story category.

I got a feeling that my shrimp goby is alive somewhere, probably in the refugium. I realised that my overflow box grate that keep the fish out is actually large enough for quite a few fishes I have. But then he never venture beyond 3" above sand. I had him for more than a year and he survived lots of tribulation and he can't just die like that without a good reason.

But then who knows, my ocelarris clown that I had for 3 years that had been through a lot more than him died the first day he moved to my new tank (other fishes were fine), for reason that I still have yet to figure out.

My hood is mostly but not totally covered, but I can't find him on the floor either, and no dry pets in my home.
Old 02/15/2007, 02:08 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by saj01c
What about this one from above? 4 years would take the cake
Old 02/15/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

First off great thread for a good story everyone can tell. Secondly we must stress the word "missing". If your fish is already found then it is no longer missing, whether it is living in the overflow or sump or tank doesn't matter.

I had one neon goby and one green chromis missing almost at the same time, only to found them both in my overflow two months later. They were probably bullied by their larger counterparts and escaped to the overflow. Could not get them out with fish trap or net.

A month later I was dong some maintenance and flooded my overflow box for a few minutes intentionally, a day later I saw my missing neon goby dancing with the larger one, and they have been together ever since.

As for my green chromis, it did not show up in my tank, a week later I checked up on it he was dead in the overflow box with only fish bone remains stuck on my drain screen.

At least I had a partial happy ending.
Old 02/15/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I had just setup my tank (9 yrs ago) and one of the first fish i added was a false clown fish. He was in there for about a week and disappered. I thought is was just a newbie loss and moved on. 10 months later I decided I should add a protien skimmer to my setup. I was woring in my sump (a 15 gal green rubbermaid container under my stand) and I felt something brush up against my hand. I thought nothing of it and went back to work. The next time I put my hannd in he bit me (scared the **** out of me). I spent the next hour trying to net the clown out of my sump. He has now been with me the entire nine yrs.

This is a bad pic but here he is a few moths ago.