Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/16/2006, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys, I may be getting a regal angel after studying about them for a couple of months.

I am getting it from a friend's aquarium, the fish is eating everything!!!, and has no disease what so ever!

the question is:
Should I release him straight away (after acclimation offcourse) to he main tank?, or should I put him in a "cage"/basket so that the other fish get used to him?

I have a couple of tangs which are fairly aggressive.

p.s.
Since he is coming from a stable tank I am not going to quarantine him.
Old 01/16/2006, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys.
I am going to get a regal angel from a friend's tank.
I have studied about the fish, and I think my tank will make a good home for it.

The question is:

Should I just release him into the tank (after acclimation offcourse).

Or should I put him in a floating Cage/Basket so that the other fish get used to him, and if so for how long?

Since he is coming from a stable tank and has no disease I will not be qt
Old 01/16/2006, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Guys,

Just a thought,
If I ordered a red sea regal angel and received other than a red sea. Even when if was confirmed by the place where I ordered the fish. What would you do ?

mattt.
Old 01/16/2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elekamit

I have a couple of tangs which are fairly aggressive.
• How big is the Regal relative to the tangs?
• What sort of temperament does the Regal have?

Mine went in with a tang about 3 times its mass and it was chased quite a bit for the first couple of months by this and a few other fish. The Regals temperament meant that it just rode it's way through all this, but I do not think all regals are so unflustered by being chased. It gets on OK with that tang now and has established itself at about 3rd in the pecking order behind the tang and a very large Javanese damsel.

Steve
Old 01/16/2006, 05:50 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Elekamit, I would add it strait to the display to reduce stress. However, if your tang fish are stressing it out, I'd put the tangs in a QT tank. Once you know the regal is good, you could slowly introduce the tangs back into the display. One by one. Keep in mind I've never owned a regal. I am baseing this off of my research and oppinion.
Old 01/16/2006, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Well, it's like this:

doody, there is NO WAY I can take out the tangs or any of the fish for that matter, my rock work is complicated...

Any way, my other tangs are a yellow and purple tang and the regal being added is slightly bigger then the purple tang which is the biggest of the bunch.

So what do u suggest?, basket at first or straight to the tank?
Old 01/16/2006, 06:05 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

I'd go straight in the tank. They may not bother him at all, but who knows? Is there any way you can isolate an end of the tank with some kind of plastic grate or something?
Old 01/16/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

No way man, Thw only way I can isolate him from the others is a cage/net that floats.

Plus!, I wouldn't put a plastic grate even if I could, I don't wanna get every other fish stressed
Old 01/16/2006, 06:23 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

True. Like I said I never owned the fish. I'd put it straight in, but wait for other oppinions.
Old 01/16/2006, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MATTT
Guys,

Just a thought,
If I ordered a red sea regal angel and received other than a red sea. Even when if was confirmed by the place where I ordered the fish. What would you do ?

mattt.
I'd be mighty upset if that happened to me. There is a big difference in quality between the Indo-Paciifc and Red Sea variant of the Regal Angel, and a big difference in price! I'd call the place and lodge a complaint. You should get your entire purchase price back. If they want the fish back, it should be at their cost. Just be sure that you've identified the fish correctly. Can you post a picture? Can you post a link to their ad?

Greg
Old 01/16/2006, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Can anyone who have or had the fish please answer my q?

Thanks guys!
Old 01/16/2006, 09:00 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Slow down Someone will get to you
Old 01/17/2006, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
doody, there is NO WAY I can take out the tangs or any of the fish for that matter, my rock work is complicated...
There is always a way...

Your best shot at success is to get rid of the tangs at least on a temporary basis. Thats what I did.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=707656

Otherwise your regal may not eat well initially. I would not do the net/cage thing.

I would recommend my favorite which is the small fish hook method
Old 01/17/2006, 03:28 AM
Registered Member

Ya..chill a sec
Old 01/17/2006, 06:07 AM
Registered Member

sorry, maybe i got psyched out a bit.

any way, what i am trying to say is that i got many different caves, and many openings. this is no normal rockwork, i once tried all of the methods by calfo, non worked.
Old 01/17/2006, 08:29 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

How much coral do you have in the tank? Got pics?
Old 01/17/2006, 10:25 AM
Fish Addict

In general I find tangs to be relatively easy to trap. You get a clear plastic container--they got 'em in the pet store for like keeping hermit crabs. you leave the top middle open. bait the bottom with food. Leave it in there for several days. You need a string or something that allows you to fairly rapidly pull the container up. When fish are spooked they swim down, not up, so when you rapidly reel up the container, the fish swim farther down into the container. This method works well with greedy feeders like tangs.
Old 01/17/2006, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

If the regal I am bringing is bigger then both of my tangs, will they still be a threat?
Old 01/17/2006, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

They can be a physical threat. I had to remove a yellow tang that suddenly turned violent on my regal angel and it was a bit smaller than the regal. It left a nice gash on the regals side.

There are no guarantees. Tangs are food blackholes and your regal may not get any food. Try to remove the tang for best chance at success.

Dont be fooled. Steve Atkin's regal is an anomaly and most regals need all the help they can get for success, or they will die.
Old 01/17/2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Try using some mirrors round the tank. I use these for a day or so whenever I introduce a new fish. Usually the fish already in the tank spend more time dealing with their own reflection than with the new fish. Not all fish are fooled but it does reduce the overall level of interest in the new fish.

My Regal is certainly not one to regard as typical.

Steve
Old 01/17/2006, 06:09 PM
Reefer

I personally would never introduce a regal angel into an established tank with tangs. We already know how difficult it is to start this fish in captivity. It makes sense to reduce the amount of stress as humanly possible. Especially in the beginning!!
Old 01/17/2006, 06:10 PM
Reefer

I personally would never introduce a regal angel into an established tank with tangs. We already know how difficult it is to start this fish in captivity. It makes sense to reduce the amount of stress as humanly possible. Especially in the beginning!!
Old 01/17/2006, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

So, I don't understand what are the downsides of putting it in a plastic cage (big) which floats, for a day or two, that way the tangs can take out their aggression on the cage and i can observe if there even is an aggression, don't u think?
Old 01/17/2006, 06:40 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Quote:
Originally posted by elekamit
So, I don't understand what are the downsides of putting it in a plastic cage (big) which floats, for a day or two, that way the tangs can take out their aggression on the cage and i can observe if there even is an aggression, don't u think?
It'll stress the regal out.
Old 01/17/2006, 06:49 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Atkins
• How big is the Regal relative to the tangs?
• What sort of temperament does the Regal have?

Mine went in with a tang about 3 times its mass and it was chased quite a bit for the first couple of months by this and a few other fish. The Regals temperament meant that it just rode it's way through all this, but I do not think all regals are so unflustered by being chased. It gets on OK with that tang now and has established itself at about 3rd in the pecking order behind the tang and a very large Javanese damsel.

Steve
did you put the regal in your 400 gallon reef? If so your results in a 125 might be a little different.