Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2005, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pecan2phat
Greg,
The $59 is for a RS Regal.
This guy moves a lot of fish and he deals with the *****-shipper vs the wholesaler in Cali.
Hard to believe that anyone is retailing good Red Sea Regal Angels for $59. Is the store called "Fishtown USA"? They're fish are inexpensive but the quality is questionable and I've never seen Red Sea Regals in that store.

Greg
Old 12/31/2005, 12:00 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Greg,

I guess you've been in my neck of the woods, lol!

Your correct, the LFS is Fishtown USA. My current regal that I have in my 120 is a $59 one from them.

I'm surprised that you haven't seen any there, I normally see the RS Regals in that store about every 2 months and they normally get in about 5 to 10 at a time.
Old 12/31/2005, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

I feed mine the Spectrum Thera A+A. The anti-parasitic formula.
Old 01/01/2006, 12:35 PM
On hobby time out!

Certainly this is one of my nicest fish of all times. It is a IO/RS. I originally got it at some hole int he wall LFS that I happened to see next to a restaurant I went to have dinner at. It was sitting in the bag right out of a shipment and I took it home. One of my fattest fish too. He eats everything I feed too.

The question I have always had is regarding multiple regals in a tank. I know someone with 3 of them in his 180g tank along with some other angels in a full blown SPS reef. He tells me they all get alone just ifne, but is there a trick to this like size, opercular spine size, etc??
Old 01/01/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey Alberto,

John and i talked at length about this one time.

basically the longer that opercular "blue" spine is its supposed to be a male.

best thing is to compare pics in this thread of that spine and figure out what sex yours is. Then get the opposite sex.

you can do a small group like John, just make sure you only have ONE male and a couple females (2-3).

if you do have a male it might be best to get 2 females an introduce them at the same time so if there is an agression from the current fish it will be spread amongst 2 fish instead of 1. kind of like you fairy wrasse thing.

Nick
Old 01/01/2006, 04:55 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Ok, can some one please photoshop a pic to point out this spine that's been mentioned?
Old 01/01/2006, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

After looking at your pics Alberto,

i think it may be a female. which would work out if you wanted to add a male.

anyway you can get a closer pic to confirm?

thanks

Nick
Old 01/01/2006, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

dgasmd,
Very nice looking fish. Great colors!!

Just curious, did you QT this fish before introducing it to the main tank?

Kirk
Old 01/01/2006, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Here is a pic of my 5" Red Sea Regal with it's quarter to half inch gill spines. They have not been photo shopped.

Old 01/01/2006, 10:01 PM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by nctangman
Just curious, did you QT this fish before introducing it to the main tank?

Kirk
I did not. At the time, there was only a mystery wrasse and a pair of clowns in the tank (750g). It was a huge risk in terms of introducing parasites to a new system, but I was very lucky. I do not recommend it to anyone though.
Old 01/03/2006, 06:03 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Quote:
Originally posted by doody
Ok, can some one please photoshop a pic to point out this spine that's been mentioned?
I meant could someone put a circle around them?
Old 01/03/2006, 06:03 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Quote:
Originally posted by doody
I meant could someone put a circle around them?
Old 01/03/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

steve
Old 01/03/2006, 09:38 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Ohh!
Old 01/04/2006, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

nice info steve. i wonder if there is a difference in the male or female nipping on our corals.
Old 01/04/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I have seen mine take the odd exploratory nip at corals, but not actually remove any flesh. Well before he arrived, the odd bit of damage would appear from time to time and I suspect my large blue tang, although I have never actually witnessed the culprit in action. When I have seen teeth marks, they seem about blue tang size.

Steve
Old 01/04/2006, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

i am just a little curious of the difference in the sexes going after corals. my thinking perhaps females are more prone to nipping. because maybe they are, out of habit, perpareing a place for there eggs and just makeing room. i have noticed with other fish the females are more aggressive in keeping things out of there dens. males seem to be more concerned and aggressive towards other fish.
Old 01/04/2006, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hlama
i am just a little curious of the difference in the sexes going after corals. my thinking perhaps females are more prone to nipping. because maybe they are, out of habit, perpareing a place for there eggs and just makeing room. i have noticed with other fish the females are more aggressive in keeping things out of there dens. males seem to be more concerned and aggressive towards other fish.
Sorry, but your theory is all wet (pun intended). Regal Angels are dispersal spawners and not nest builders.

Greg
Old 01/04/2006, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

my bad but still wonder about the sexes. maybe the male is more prone because likes to keep things out of his territory maybe i dont know just curious. looked into it but dont think anyone has ever paid any attention to it. could be one sex has never nipped at any corals. not that most ever do. think i will just start asking those that have had them nip.
Old 01/05/2006, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

I sense a PhD thesus coming on....

Steve
Old 01/07/2006, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

My regal

The newest addition to my tank. Been with me a few weeks now, and eating cyclopeeze, spiralina, nori, and mysid shrimp. I initially got him eating using chopped up large shrimp stuck in the nori clip. He was eating at the LFS before I got him but went on a hunger strike in the QT tank. He started eating fine once I moved him over to the display and he got a bit more used to my presence. I think my other fish helped also in getting him to eat.

Old 01/08/2006, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

This morning, as always, I got up and checked the tank. Everything seemed normal. I went about my day. Around 5 pm my 5" Regal Angel swam up to the front glass as usual to check me out checking him out. I leave and comeback a hour later and it is dead as a door knob. I have no idea what happened to it. It was eating like a pig, no signs of aggression from tankmates, and no outward signs of illness or parasite. It remains a mystery to me.

Rest In Peace My Friend
Old 01/08/2006, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your Regal Angel. It's difficult to say why it died suddenly. It's an uncommon occurrence with that fish.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it does look somewhat malnourished. There's appears to be a tell-tale pinching in the dorsal musculature (nape), but this is hard to see unless the fish is facing you. If this was the case, then it may explain the death. The eye also doesn't look clear, but this may just be the picture. The tank also looks somewhat eutrophic (lots of cyanobacteria). That's not a good environment for a Regal Angel.

OTOH, the answer may simply be that stuff happens. Occasionally a fish that appears perfectly healthy will suddenly drop dead. It could be the result of a sudden trauma, which is not that unusual in an aquarium. Even a quick bang against the rocks or a glass cover can kill a fish.

Greg
Old 01/09/2006, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

The pic is not really a good pic. It was just a quicky I took one evening. It's eyes were clear all the way to the end. What appears to be cyano in the background and on the rocks is hair algea with some bubbles on them. It was eating like a pig, but it must have not gotten enough to eat. That is a possibility.

Thanks for offering up some suggestions to the cause. I will keep those factors in mind with all my fish.
Old 01/10/2006, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Releasing fish back to the wild is incredibly irresponsible. Please don't do it. You are putting into jeopardy an entire eco-system.

-Alfred

Quote:
Originally posted by onereefnotenuf
do you have any idea what kind of non native pathogens you could be releasing into the ecosystem by releasing a non native fish into your local waters? any fish that has been in aquarium for any length of time could have picked up any number of deseases that the local fish population can't deal with due to no prior exposure. in my opinion totally irresponsible.