Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2005, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

I would try and remove it and put it in a quarentine tank. At least you could medicate in QT. FW dip works for ich, but not velvet. I quarentined mine in Cupramine copper for 6 weeks before introducing to my main tank.
Old 09/12/2005, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Yes, go to your fish market and get a live clam..crack it open and serve on the half shell. I sometimes cut a few shallow slices into the meat of the clam to aid the angel in eating.
Old 09/12/2005, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys, i am off to see what i can find!

Nick
Old 09/12/2005, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

hey also i picked up 2 clams and 4 mussels, how long can i keep them in the fridge?

also just cracked a clam open and nothing? how long shoudl it take?

thanks!

Nick
Old 09/12/2005, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Well its been about an 1/2 an hour and none of my fish have touched the clam or mussel.... i put one of each in.

what do you think? the only thing eating the clam and mussel are the 2 cleaner shrimp....

Nick
Old 09/12/2005, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nbd13
.....what do you think? ..Nick
I think that is very odd. Virtually every fish in my tank attacks the mussel I put in, often several trying at the same time. In fact, the only fish that I can say I have not seen eating fresh mussel is the mandarin.

If they ignored it, I would be busy checking out my water and getting pretty concerned about the health of the tank in general.

It did take them a couple of minutes to decide it was food when I put it in the first time though.

Steve
Old 09/12/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

All,

Is what ndb13 experience normally behavior/activity for a regal angel??

Just curious....As I have a Red Sea Regal Angel on order...
Kirk
Old 09/12/2005, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

boy, that is terrible english..

let me try that again.

Is what nbd13 is experiencing normal behavior/activity for a regal angel after 2 wks of captivity???

Just curious...As I have a Red Sea Regal angel on order...

Kirk
Old 09/12/2005, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

i checked my water parameters and everything is fine,

ammonia- 0
NO3-0
NO4-0
PO4-.01
SG- 1.025

i just dont get it?

i did see her eat alittle bite at dinner tonight, but only 2 pieces of my own food....

i only feed my own mix and she loved it?

is there anything i can do at all?

thanks!

Nick
Old 09/12/2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

From what I have read and my own experience it is what often happens but not what could be expected if all is going well.

They can have periods off their food but the "heavy breathing" is not good. I am aware of one here in NZ that expired not so long ago, after some time (months) doing well in a tank. The first signs were loss of apetite and heavy/fast breathing.

It is common for them to not eat for the first few days, even a week, but many, nine included, were interested in eating from almost as soon as they arrive. The bit that takes the time is getting them used to the type of food available in your tank and for them to get brave enough to come out and chase after it.

Steve
Old 09/12/2005, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Just because the regal angel isn't showing outward signs of ich doesn't mean it isn't bothered by parasites. Existing fish often develop an "immunity" to ich and are rarely overwhelmed by it. OTOH, the stress factor in new fish leaves them susceptible to ich. If the problem was bacterial, you'd see cloudy areas on the fins and body, especially on the pectoral fins. There's probably little you can do short of treating the fish in a separate aquarium, and that may be too late now. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but these are delicate fish and we should never be cavalier about their care.

BTW, you didn't list measurements fo pH and alkalinity, which are important parameters.
Old 09/12/2005, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nbd13
is there anything i can do at all?
I have been told that if you can catch them then they can be treated with antibiotics but the problem is if they are not interested in food a fish trap is not going to help and they will dissapeear into the reef if you chase them with a net.

Which antibiotic to use, I don't know.

Steve
Old 09/12/2005, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Its weird, because this regal is the only large fish in the tank besides a foxface lo so it doesnt have any competition for food...

it was acting like she was queen of the tank and then 2 days ago stopped swimming around like she used to and stopped coming to the turley baster like she used to...

i mean whenever i stuck the turkey baster in the tank she would come to in instantly, but now nothing no intrest in the turkey baster or me..... very weird behavoir. i did notice though like i said she ate made 2 pieces of food tonight, but after that clams or anything want atract her, not even any fish...

but i mean these are smaller clams maybe an 1.5" in length.... does that matter?

this really sucks i thought i had a winner, but now i guess not. i spoke to soon i guess....

should i just keep trying to feed her the regular food i have been? or should i try something else? like mysis or something?

anyway is there anything i can do? i will continue to try clams and mussels on the half shell....

thanks again!

Nick
Old 09/12/2005, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Nick

Try some live brine or frozen mysis with lots of garlic... Best of luck

Henry
Old 09/12/2005, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

alright i will see what i can do,

i mean my frozen food blend has a bunch of garlic in it....

this sucks....

Nick
Old 09/12/2005, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Kirk

My experience with my first and successful regal was opposite of Nicks. It didnt eat for first few days, slowly ramped up her appetite over many months.

BTW where are you getting your regal? is it LFS or mail order?

Henry
Old 09/12/2005, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah i forgot pH is 8.1 and alk is 8.2 dkH.....

there is no cloudy areas on his fins of anything, nor in the eyes....

looks very good, nice and fat, but just not eating...

i watched his breathing closer tonight and it turns out he is not breathing that heavy.... actually pretty normal....

so the only concern of mine is the eating....

any tips on that?

like i said the fish is breathing normal now that i look at her more, just not showing any intrest in food....

anyway thanks again!

Nick
Old 09/12/2005, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Nick,

Is she beginning to spend more time behind the rockwork..ie..less time out in the open picking at the LR? In my experience, not eating the clam and the other behavior you are describing are signs of a likely fatal problem...especially if the fish is now spending less time swimming out in the open. Sorry...hope yours is the exception.
Old 09/13/2005, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

She is not swimming as much as she used to....

i notice she swims alitte more and more over these past 2 days....

it doesnt look so good from what i have read these past 2 days... really sucks.

if she does pass away i am not sure i should try another one, just dont know if i can see another one die.....

Nick
Old 09/13/2005, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

I think GSchiemer has a point and I agree with it. Many fish do build up an immunity to parasites and your tank may look just fine, but when a new/stressed fish is placed in there it will become overcome by the parasites. Remove the fish and treat for parasites, allow the tank to sit fishless for at least 4 weeks.
Old 09/14/2005, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Just a quick update on my regal.

Her staple is spectrum pelets which she relishes. Loves OSI spirulina flakes, and cyclopeeze flakes as well. Has absolutly no interest in nori at this point( this is the good stuff, ocean nutrition red nori)...the clip scares her

Her new tank mate is a yellow tang and that pairing has actually been beneficial IMO. Had the yellow tang for couple of months now, and they swim together most of the time in the open.

The regal actually has been copying the tangs grazing and has been munching on some algae (micro and macro) . She is much less shy lately. Before she would hide in her cave most of the day.

No aggression issues so far between the angel and tang.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Henry
Old 09/14/2005, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

I think putting my regal in with a tank full of greedy eaters, many of which were about the same size, has been very good for it. All the activity has kept it curious and it has learned to eat everything that I put in, just by copying the other fish. Having lately mastered eating food off the surface, from seeing other fish do it, the only thing it has not coppied, so far, is the bit where I end up getting my finger nipped.

The other fish have benefited as well, since the quality of food has lept up dramatically to accomodate the regals dietary needs.

Steve
Old 09/17/2005, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

nbd13: How's the regal doing?
Old 09/17/2005, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

You guys were right, bacterial infection.....

should have quartined this fish, but after reading this thread i figured it was best not to....

now she has passed away, it was not good.

i am not sure if i ever want to try a regal angel again...... just dont know where to get a healthy one at...

any suggestions?

thanks!

Nick
Old 09/17/2005, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that!! Best luck next time (if there is a next). Hozer have you tried julian sprun red sea veggys?? (i dont know if they are the same algae that the red nory you try) my regals just eat the julian sprun red one.