Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/28/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

TMPro and super high calc readings?

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this?

I bought a new bucket of TMP and mixed up 20g of water to 1.026. When I tested my calc, it was off the chart for Salifert. I also have a Strontium test kit, which measure calcium as well and that tops off at 560 and my reading was above that as well. I remixed up 5g and got the same readings.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there any harm in using this salt mix? I tested ALK and Mag and both are right on.
Old 05/29/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm curious if you mix up your salt before use, or just use it straight off the top?

I now mix up my salt really well before use and I seem to get more even parameters from batch to batch.
Old 05/29/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

thats odd for TMPr, its normally around 400 -440
Old 05/29/2007, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

It was a brand new bucket so I used it right off the top. Not really much room to mix, but maybe I will pour some into another bucket, mix them both, then pour back.

I spoke with my LFS and I guess TM keeps samples of each batch. If I email them they will compare with their sample. He mentioned someone got a really low Ca bucket a few weeks back and TM confirmed it was a problem with the whole catch. Not sure how low it was though.
Old 05/29/2007, 05:14 PM
Team RC Member

MJ, when you exhaust the first syringe of the Salifert calcium test, just fill it up again to the 1 ml line and slowly dose until the color turns blue. Then add that value to 500 and you will get actual ppm.

I haven't tested that salt yet but I here the calcium is higher than regular Tropic Marin.

Patrick, what s.g. did you mix yours at ?
Old 05/29/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Old 05/29/2007, 09:20 PM
Team RC Member

The reason I asked that, Patrick, is the level of calcium and magnesium is directly related to how much salt mix is added to the water.

Example: lets say you mixed to 1.024 and got 420 ppm calcium. That means for every .001 s.g , you get 420 div by 24 = 17.5 ppm per unit.

So if you were to mix to 1.0265, your calcium would be about 44 ppm higher. 2.5 units x 17.5 ppm = 43.75

That would give you a calcium reading of 464 in stead of 420.

So you see, what level one keeps their specific gravity is very important.