Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Outdoor Mangrove Tank?

i saw this pic of someone that has an outdoor mangrove tank and now i really want to try something like this!

just some questions to ponder though............

1. i live in valencia (w/ desert like weather conditions) and was wondering if the extreme heat (summer) and cold (winter) would kill the mangroves? would the warm water that its sitting in keep them alive?

2. would bugs and other creatures that get into the holding tank have negative effects?

3. would rain water be bad to mix with the tank?

thanks for any input. this would be really sweet to have

Old 12/16/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

alot of people have out door sumps... they are usually open top tanks but they are covered by an awning... with that i think there aren't too many problems with contamination... i would run a filter before it comes into the tank? that woudl solve that problem... you just might need to change it often due to alot of dust and what not...

in terms of salinity, people i have seen with outdoor sumps, they have larger display tanks and also have a large ro/di tank on sandby close by wiht top off... i am guessing evapporation is an issue...

as for the temp, i am not sure... but don't mangroves live near very warm temps? i think the cold woudl be more in question?

i am sure others will fill in other info and also correct me if i am wrong...
Old 12/16/2007, 02:30 PM
Fantasy Coral

1. It appears that the above pictured mangrove tank is plumbed to another system. If not, then yes, the warm water would kill the mangroves. If the water isn't moving, it will eventually match the outside ambient air temperature.

2. Maybe............it'd worry more about cats & possums then bugs.

3. Rain water will dilute your salt water, thereby lowering your salinity.

HTH
Old 12/16/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

yeah, im more concerned about the near freezing temps too.............but would the heated water negate all of that? i plan to do it like the pic and connect it to my system, so there will be flow going through it (for nutrient export)
Old 12/16/2007, 02:32 PM
Fantasy Coral

I may make your heaters come on more often, although I'd worry more about the 110 degree temps during the summer..............
Old 12/16/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

haha one guy says to worry about the cold, and the other about the heat.........

how much higher and lower do you think the outside temps could affect the temp of my tank? assuming the highest is around 110 and 30 is the low?

i dont think it would affect the water temp that much right? its just sitting in a little thing of some sand thats barely enough to alter the rest of the tanks' water
Old 12/16/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

thats pretty cool...
Old 12/16/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

how hot does it get in hawaii? doesn't it hit high temps also? i was just thinking of natural mangrove areaS? dont' most people online sell hawiian mangroves?
Old 12/16/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

i know it can get hot there, but i dont know about 110 with very low humidity
Old 12/16/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

i was trying to read up on them, it turns out that any change in 10 degrees for a short time....

anyways, here is something online i found... not sure how correct it is... but it seems reasonable...

"Mangroves are tropical species which do not develop well where the average temperature is less than 66.0 F. High temperatures above l07.0 F are also thought to be limiting. Normally, temperature fluctuations greater than 50.0 F are not tolerated well. In Florida, the impact of low temperatures on mangroves results in decreases in structural complexity of the community. When compared to mangrove communities of areas with more favorable temperature, Florida’s mangrove communities show decreased tree height, decreased leaf area, and increased tree density."

another said

"On January 17th and 18th in 1961, for example, it was recorded in Quang Ninh that a number of mangrove leaves became dry and died when the temperature fell to below 2°C."
Old 12/16/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

hmmmm, unfortunately this is what i figured.

looks like no outdoor mangrove refuge for me
Old 12/16/2007, 07:26 PM
Reef Joker

if you could do it somewhat temp controlled, ie placement in an indoor greenhouse window ledge, plenty of natural sunlight, etc it probably work well and be a cool display in its own.

lots with outdoor sumps have them sealed from bugs, rain, dust, etc.

be mindfull of how you plumb it so a clogged drain won't pump your sump dry.

I'd say go for it and report your results. plant in spring and see how they tolerate the summer heat.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

the dryness alone would kill the mangroves...rain water shouldnt be that bad...its going to be hard to control the sg
Old 12/16/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

id on't know if you have a bay window... but that would be a cool idea... get all the light with out the problems
Old 12/16/2007, 11:39 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Mangroves typically like brackish water so lower salinity won't be an issue. Many have already stated it, but cold will be your biggest issue. However if its plumbed with your main tank then the higher water temp will act as a sauna if the circulation is kept up.

Depending on how big you want to make it you could get some corrugated plastic that they use for green houses and place a sheet over it at an angle so the rain water runs off. If built in an enclosure this would make it like an actual green house and keep the plants from frost damage.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

why dont you just do this setup but indoors? maybe get those plant lights for lighting or natural light. it would be safer. rain would mess up your tank water and there goes your whole tank.

i tried mangroves before, theyre ok. chaeto works best for me in my experience.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

so did you decide what youre gonna do
Old 12/20/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

yeah, well i dont think the outdoors would be a good idea for where im located

so ill eventually try an indoor one. they just look so nice!

but id really like to see if someone else would try this! its a very cool idea
Old 12/20/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

ive seen indoor ones done...it doubled as a fuge
Old 12/20/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

does anyone know how much flow a mangrove tank needs? if you need a theoretical situation... let's say:

20g long, filled with about 75% water, semi closed lid (styro with holes poked) and about 25 mangrooves...

what woudl be minimum for flow wise? what do you guys think woudl be a good setup for flow?

my thoughts, if i can get about 100gph... use 1/2" flexible tubing for return, and flexible 1" tubing for drain, use quick disconnects and a small pump... so i can make is kinda modular...

i was thinking, these get pretty tall dont' they? i can't just hide them in my hood right?