Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 02:25 AM
Premium Member

Comparing t-5's to metal halides. Does 150 watts equal 150 watts. Example a 22 watt florescent equals a 100 watt incadesent. When I start my tank I want to use t-5's but I don't know how they compare to the halides.

Thanks

Marty
Old 12/12/2007, 04:22 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

You really cant compare them watt for watt. Every system is a little different depending on ballasts, reflectors and the color of lamps.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

I know this will sound stupid question but as a poor newbie who is trying to keep a very small 6g tank, and confused with all sort of reading in so many fields, thinking of upgrading my lightning setup from 2x 18W Compact Fluorescent Bulb (Daylight 12000K) pc and 1x 18w actinic. Is there a t5 this small size? my tank measures 13Hx11Wx10D.

What is your recommendation.

thank you very much
Old 12/12/2007, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

I guess when I get my tank, I will ask what I need here.

Thank you for the quick response

Marty

Ag

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
You really cant compare them watt for watt. Every system is a little different depending on ballasts, reflectors and the color of lamps.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

I'm going to buy a Sunlight supply 48" Tek T5 6 bulbs fixture for my 90g mixed reef, in my tank mostly is monti and some sps, and I'll put Powerchrome 48" T5 bulbs on the fixture.... There are different kind color of bulbs such as Midday, Aquablue, Actinic, and Pure Actinic. Which bulb is good for my tank?

Thanks!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:16 AM
Psuedo Member

Grim,
Writting you about my Dads tank. Hes got a 90g mainly softy/zoas with a hammer mixed in. INstalled a retro fit 4x54w T5 with IC reflectors ect...its time to switch out the bulbs. Hes been using Guisemann (SP.) but isnt thrilled about the color. I think hed like it alittle crisper white/blue hue. Looking on ReefGeek and saw a bunch of bulbs. Was thinking of going with:

1 aquasun by uvl
1 aqua blue by ati
2 blue plus by ati
do you think that would be TOO blue? are there other selections what would be a better fit? hes trying to stay away from that yellowie color being that he has a few softies that tend to be more brown to start.

any advice?
Old 12/12/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpa14
Grim,
im setting up a 220 gallon system 72*24*30high i was thinking of going with a sfiligoi 12*80watt set-up. I have mostly sps. any thoughts on this set-up for sps and if it would work i could use some help on what bulbs to use.

thanks for any help
Please throw up some pics if you do, should look very sweet and grow acros very well.

For what its worth, the Sfiligio 5 footer Stealths and the UltraSolaris 5 footers are the only 5 foot-80watt fixtures available in the North American market right now that I'm aware of.

I just scored a slightly used 4 foot Stealth Delta model and can't wait to get a new rimless tank to get it going and do its good looks some justice.

James
Old 12/12/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

I am using Grims current bulb set up now on my 90 with very good results.
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
Blue plus
Blue Plus
Old 12/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Grim
I have a nova extreme 4-39 watt is this okay for softies and a few sps?

front
blueplus
aquasun
blueplus
Old 12/12/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

scotmc...

do you have a full tank shot with those bulbs in use?
Old 12/12/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

I currently have 2 x 250w MH setup with 2 URI Actinics. This is on a standard 75g. With mostly SPS and some LDP and few softies.

I would like to go T-5, specially order from reefgeek (unless you know a better cheaper site).

I was looking at doing the 54w 4 bulb Ice Cap Over driven retro with a Tek 2 54w 2 bulb retro.

Will this be a good setup?

I do not like too much blue (like a 20K bulb) but do like tint and pop of the actinics visually.

What would be the best balance for growth and visual look (say like 14K look)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Grim... just wondering, which bulb gives the most flouresing (sp?)of corals that are able? I used a blue-light flashlight to look in my tank last night and MAN, alot of my corals POPPED with flouresense... I am still trying to figure out how I want to change my bulbs... it is just too pinkish with the original bulbs I put in there...
Old 12/12/2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hyewiz
I know this will sound stupid question but as a poor newbie who is trying to keep a very small 6g tank, and confused with all sort of reading in so many fields, thinking of upgrading my lightning setup from 2x 18W Compact Fluorescent Bulb (Daylight 12000K) pc and 1x 18w actinic. Is there a t5 this small size? my tank measures 13Hx11Wx10D.

What is your recommendation.

thank you very much
You are pretty much limited to PC or even a small halide or LED's on that tank.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bestreef
I'm going to buy a Sunlight supply 48" Tek T5 6 bulbs fixture for my 90g mixed reef, in my tank mostly is monti and some sps, and I'll put Powerchrome 48" T5 bulbs on the fixture.... There are different kind color of bulbs such as Midday, Aquablue, Actinic, and Pure Actinic. Which bulb is good for my tank?

Thanks!
If you are limited to those lamps try this

Front
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic
Midday
Actinic Plus
Aquablue
Actinic Plus

Should look like a strong 14K halide
Old 12/12/2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedola
Grim,
Writting you about my Dads tank. Hes got a 90g mainly softy/zoas with a hammer mixed in. INstalled a retro fit 4x54w T5 with IC reflectors ect...its time to switch out the bulbs. Hes been using Guisemann (SP.) but isnt thrilled about the color. I think hed like it alittle crisper white/blue hue. Looking on ReefGeek and saw a bunch of bulbs. Was thinking of going with:

1 aquasun by uvl
1 aqua blue by ati
2 blue plus by ati
do you think that would be TOO blue? are there other selections what would be a better fit? hes trying to stay away from that yellowie color being that he has a few softies that tend to be more brown to start.

any advice?
Try this

ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

With the softies and zoos you just gotta have that actinic in there The actinic will really bring out the fluorescence in softies. The Blue Plus and Aquasun lamps will have enough PAR for the Hammer.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by onecrzyboi4u
Grim
I have a nova extreme 4-39 watt is this okay for softies and a few sps?

front
blueplus
aquasun
blueplus
Should do fine.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BWilfong
Grim,

I currently have 2 x 250w MH setup with 2 URI Actinics. This is on a standard 75g. With mostly SPS and some LDP and few softies.

I would like to go T-5, specially order from reefgeek (unless you know a better cheaper site).

I was looking at doing the 54w 4 bulb Ice Cap Over driven retro with a Tek 2 54w 2 bulb retro.

Will this be a good setup?

I do not like too much blue (like a 20K bulb) but do like tint and pop of the actinics visually.

What would be the best balance for growth and visual look (say like 14K look)?

Thanks in advance.
A friend uses that setup over his 75 with very good results.

Front
UVL Super Actinic normally driven
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
UVL Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic normally driven
Old 12/12/2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Grim... just wondering, which bulb gives the most flouresing (sp?)of corals that are able? I used a blue-light flashlight to look in my tank last night and MAN, alot of my corals POPPED with flouresense... I am still trying to figure out how I want to change my bulbs... it is just too pinkish with the original bulbs I put in there...
If you are using 2 pro colors pull one for a Blue Plus. Unless you want to go very blue you aren't going to get the kind of pop you saw with the blue flashlight. The next step would be to also replace the Aquablue with a Blue Plus.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Grim... I haven't gotten any Procolor bulbs yet... still runing one GE6500K and one Ge3000K...along with the 3 blue plus and 1 aquable...and 1 super acinic.. of course 14 bulbs in all...

front
blue plus
super actinic
GE 3000
Blue plus
Ge 6500
Blue plus
Aquablue

I just can't decide if I want to get the procolors or not...what would it do tothe color to replace the GE 3000 with another GE 6500? also, I guess you are saying the blue plus is the most flourescent...?
Old 12/12/2007, 04:38 PM

What you could try is this

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Blue Plus
GE 3000K
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus
Aquablue

The Blue Plus and Super Actinics will cause the fluorescence. If you want it to glow you got to run a lot of blue. The 75/25 will cause a little fluorescence and add a little color and has decent PAR. Kinda of a compromise lamp. I use one and like it;
Old 12/12/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Hey Grim,

Long time lurker of the T-5 thread, but after a long and hard search, I've got to ask a q.

It's time to replace the bulbs on my 20L. I currently use 3 bulbs with SLR reflectors. The tank is viewable from 3 sides like a peninsula. I find that even with aiming the outside reflectors inward some, the front and back of the tank are different colors.
I currently use

Front
- UVL Aquasun
- ATI Blue+
- Giesemann Aquablue+
Other Front (being a peninsula)

I find the tank just a touch too white. I do like the look of the Aquablue+ more then the Aquasun. With only three bulbs, what combo would give me more blue while ensuring that the two long sides of the tank don't look completly different colors? I was wondering if the UVL 75/25 might come into play here.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 12/12/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

i was wondering what type of look a 4 bulb combo of

Ati blue plus
Kz fiji purple
Ati blue plus
Kz fifi purple

would look like??

ron
Old 12/12/2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wolrey
Hey Grim,

Long time lurker of the T-5 thread, but after a long and hard search, I've got to ask a q.

It's time to replace the bulbs on my 20L. I currently use 3 bulbs with SLR reflectors. The tank is viewable from 3 sides like a peninsula. I find that even with aiming the outside reflectors inward some, the front and back of the tank are different colors.
I currently use

Front
- UVL Aquasun
- ATI Blue+
- Giesemann Aquablue+
Other Front (being a peninsula)

I find the tank just a touch too white. I do like the look of the Aquablue+ more then the Aquasun. With only three bulbs, what combo would give me more blue while ensuring that the two long sides of the tank don't look completly different colors? I was wondering if the UVL 75/25 might come into play here.

Thanks,

Jeff
???

If I am following you as far as the tank placement and viewing area the obvious choice would be

Front
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Old 12/12/2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reefboy12
Grim,

i was wondering what type of look a 4 bulb combo of

Ati blue plus
Kz fiji purple
Ati blue plus
Kz fifi purple

would look like??

ron
Similar to a 50/50 mix of Blue Plus and Aquablue lamps. Perhaps a little less blue. I think it would be worth a try. If you do it report back and let us know how it works.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE???

If I am following you as far as the tank placement and viewing area the obvious choice would be

Front
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Blue Plus
[/QUOTE]

I had thought of doing that setup, but I'm afraid that with the two Blue Plus, the tank will really look blue. Will only one daylight be able to balance the look?

Also if using one daylight, why do you recommend the Aquasun? Compared to say a UVL 50/50 or Giesemann Midday?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff