Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/06/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

New SPS Setup

My 260gallon tank has been running for 4 years now and I have never been able to keep an SPS alive for more than 6 weeks, although the softies have done well. I have tried all sorts of things to determine why the SPS wont survive and never found the reason. I now have a persistent problem with Cyano Bacteria and Green algae and the tank has been overwhelmed by green star polyps. I have put a lot of effort in and the results are very poor. the tank looks awful. I am now thinking about closing down and starting again. Can I ask for suggestions for the best setup for SPS.

My current setup is as follows: 230 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump. The tank was setup with Ocean Rock. The overflow contains Bioballs and the water drops through to the sump through a spinner into a filter box containing a mat. In the sump I have a Deltec 1060 skimmer and the water passes through an area in the sump containing bioballs. Return to tank is by a Deltec pump at a rate of 1550 gallons per hour. Water circulation in the tank is by 1 Tunze Turbelle 6200 giving a maximum flow rate of 5200 gallons per hour. Lighting is by 2 x 250W Blue Metal halides and 2 x 250W White. I also have a chiller on the system and a UV filter. Top Up is via Kalkwasser stirrer.

Suggestions would be welcomed for improvement to the system.

Last edited by markreefer; 07/06/2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07/06/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

1. Those bioballs are a nitrate factory, rip them out asap.
2. The Kalkwasser top off is good, but did you ever dose calcium and alk to bring your levels to 400+ calc and 8+ dKh?
3. Add at least one more pump, you need more random flows - just have 2 stationary sources probably means you have flow issues.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 07/06/2007, 02:09 PM
ummmmmm yeah

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
1. Those bioballs are a nitrate factory, rip them out asap.
2. The Kalkwasser top off is good, but did you ever dose calcium and alk to bring your levels to 400+ calc and 8+ dKh?
3. Add at least one more pump, you need more random flows - just have 2 stationary sources probably means you have flow issues.
Agree with everything, and also a 230G tank with a 30G sump. You could try and increase that. Also what bout a refugium? DSB? These could all lead to problems or help nip them in bud.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

Yes I dose Calcium Chloride to maintain 400 - 420 and 8-9dKh. Cant say my Nitrate has ever been high ?
Old 07/09/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I'm no expert but from what I've heard is that bio balls can be used if cleaned every now and then but I honestly have NOT seen a tank posted on RC keeping SPS that had them.

So I'll stick to what I know is true. When taking them out take them out in steps, don't just remove them all at once. Also that you can get false readings on your nitrates and phosphates if you happen to have algae in your tank. Your reading may result in zero because the cyano and green algae are feeding off the abundance of them. Sounds like one of those double negative trick questions...but it kind of makes sense.

Last edited by burton14e7; 07/09/2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07/09/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Personally i would remove a lot of the ocean rock and add some good live rock, it provides essential bacteria and well as microfauna to the tank. the ocean rock wont be doing much

How deep is the sandbed in the tank?? i would have around an 1" of quality arogonite sand to help buffer the tank. I would possibly think of upgrading the skimmer. to help pull more organics.

Lose the bioballs they will just be adding to the nitrates, you could install a deepsand bed in the sump and algae bed, or you could go down the zeolith route and not have to run any of that in the sump.

I would up the flow in the tank, total water movement is what your after.

With using kalk its likely your precipitating the phosphate which will be a problem if the pH drops too low, personally i would use a calcium reactor to maintain the levels, as you cannot always keep up with the demand using kalk only
Old 07/09/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, loads to think about there. Isn't it the case that Ocean Rock becomes live rock in time? My sandbed is about an inch of Coral Gravel. What could I use in my weir instead of bioballs to deaden the sound of the water? The cyano and green algae are abundant so the theory that they are feeding on the nitrates could make sense.
Old 07/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

you don't mention running carbon or your stocking density but allelopathy might be an issue. if it were my tank, i'd look into running carbon and gfo in a reactor (they're cheap) to help with that and the phosphates.

search for durso standpipe in regards to weir plumbing.
Old 07/11/2007, 01:48 PM
Fish Obsessed

Instead of bioballs you could use live rock rubble to deaden the sound. JMO

"The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, and forgiveness."

Educational Officer - C.O.M.A.S.