Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/30/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Need Flow Help "Cube Tank"

I have been struggling With flow in my tank Cubes are not very easy when it comes to water movement:0(

I have set up my powerheads several different ways and don't know which is the best for sps?

Here are some drawings of my set up any help would be appreciated!
I have two hydor#3 and three seios820's don't know which to use? My return pump is a rio 1100.
I also have a reefkeeper2 Need help on programing and pump suggestions.

Old 05/30/2007, 02:09 PM
Resident physicist.

How many sides are viewable just the two I'm assuming? How big of cube? your sig says 60 gallons, so is it a true cube? So 24 inches on a side? If so that doesn't give much in the way of room, do you have these pumps already? They are rather large ones and stick out a bit so might not be the most asthetically pleasing. Especially the Hydors, the Seios do look nice in their "box" configuration, but don't push as much flow that way.

Having you thought about a closed loop with some water switching device? (ocean's motion) perhaps even a sea swirl? Might be a nice little project to take out all the pumps and give it a cleaner look.

But if those are your only choices, and depending upon what visibility you have (ie is it just the front that is visible? two sides? three?) put most the power heads right back near the overflow, and stack rocks to try and hide them/disguise them in someway. Flow will get around to the front even without a powerhead pointed directly at the front.
Old 05/30/2007, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Here is an old pic I can post some pics of the hydors in action when i get home.
Sorry tank is a 24x24x24 cube.
Old 05/30/2007, 02:35 PM
Resident physicist.

Ok seeing as it's two side visible I would definitely try to cram all the powerheads (if you insist on going that route) into the corner near the overflow, re-arrange your rockwork if you must but stick them back there with gaps for the flow to come out and swirl around the front, and possibly back through a canyon in the middle (depending upon your level of creativity.. and how much grown in your tank is). There's no reason you couldn't hide most of the power heads.
Old 05/30/2007, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

i have a cube just a bit smaller and i have two nano tunze in each side in the back and one 6200 tunze in the back top and have more than enough flow..
mag7 for the sump return
kalk reactor , refugium ro/di unit
asm g3 skimmer ,
Old 05/30/2007, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ray22
i have a cube just a bit smaller and i have two nano tunze in each side in the back and one 6200 tunze in the back top and have more than enough flow..

That is what im talking about. Tunze all the way .

I also have a cube, it is a little bit bigger . I have 4 Tunze 6200 at 4 corners, dual wavebox from the back to the front. I have somewhat of a strong flow but i plan to add 2 more Vortech with back up battery just incase Edison decided to shut down the power someday

Old 05/30/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truthdesigns
Here is an old pic I can post some pics of the hydors in action when i get home.
Sorry tank is a 24x24x24 cube.

In your case, i would go with 4x6055 and multi-controller
Old 05/30/2007, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

4 6055's wow that would be a huge investment.
What about two seio 820's in the back and two hydor's in the front like REEFER714's Tank?
Old 05/30/2007, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

That should be fine. As long as the powerhead not flow against each other
Old 05/30/2007, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Have you considered a drop in PVC manifold that runs around the top of the tank in the canopy area and drops in where you want for minimal intrusion?
Old 06/01/2007, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all your help! I am considering re-aquascaping and hidding my seios in the back of the tank. So if my powerheads are blowing threw the rocks that would be fine? I am thinking of placing two seios in the back and running my two hydros in the front as wave makers.

The pvc sounds like a good idea but I would have to get a larger return pump to do so.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

ok, I have just a 30cube...but I think random flow is best with cubes. What I have is a mag 9.5 with sqid cl X 4 1/2" outputs. That was ok, until I added a single mj1200 under the flow of the rightside loclines...That gave me a ton of wave action.

IF I had it to do over, I would have paid the money for a oceans motions 4 and a couple of korlins-4's and a tr 1262.

Cubes are great for random flow even without wavemaking!!! You can bounce a huge amount of flow off the front glass and it will go everywhere. You can also point flow against eachother and produce wavemaking without the wavemaker.