Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/19/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Hydor Koralia Super-Mod

I just received a shipment of the new Hydor Koralia 4's tonight... and couldn't leave well enough alone.

Basic Koralia 4 impression: Cool looking pump, awesome swiveling magnet mount, very wide flow - wider than a MJ mod, about the flow of a "medium" MJ (ie. octura 1435). I don't understand why they made it so big... it's bigger than a MJ by a little bit, but the core pump stuck inside that cool housing is shaped like a MJ but MUCH smaller.

Time to play.

First thing I tried was swapping the stock impeller (puny magnet, decent sized and pitched prop stock) for a MJ 1200 magnet with an Octura 1440 on there. All I can say is WOW. Pushes easily double what the stock impeller does, and seems to push considerably more than the MJ 1200 that the impeller/prop came out of (though the improvement over the MJ may not be real... have to bag test it). There is plenty of room in the shroud for a much bigger prop, I just don't have any on hand to try right now.

I plugged it into a kill-a-watt and it is pulling 15 watts. The MJ 1200 with the same impeller pulled 20.

The hydor shroud is big enough to run a slightly shortened MJ mod impeller. The shaft size is the same as the MJ, so the MJ impeller fits perfectly. The only thing I would do to use this every day is add a stop for the propeller. For some reason the hydor doesn't seem to need one, but with the bigger prop it doesn't always turn the correct direction.

This thing flows like a full size tunze stream but looks slick and is only slightly larger than a MJ. Plus it's only $50!

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary, if it burns the house down it's not my fault, have fun .