Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/25/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Well water RO/DI

Looking into buying a system,but my head is spinning!Who's using what with well water?CO2 a problem with anyone?I've talked with many different,and very helpful people at the various dealers,but I wanted to see what other well water people were doing.John
Old 06/25/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Don't know if this helps but,

I have a RO system for drinking water and icemaker. I also use the water to top off my 40 gal freshwater, with no problems. And I'm on a well.
Old 06/25/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I use ro/di on a well and my only suggestion would be to put a pre filter before your first stage filter
Old 06/25/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

hey John, John here. I use the coralife pure-floII 100gpd. I don't have any problems with it, and it makes great water. The only thing is , that I had to get three units before I got one that worked like it was advertised to do.
Hope this helps. Oh yes I do have a well.
Old 06/26/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Make sure you add a two or three stage reg filter system before it gets to your ro/di!!!! I bought 2 cheap filters and added them to my water supply from my spring house( a woven filer sediment and a 1 micron sediment), to my water line feeding my kent HiS Ro/Di...This will had loads of life to your 1/2 micron sediment and carbon filers...add another DI down the line and you will have ZeroTDS and lower sediment filter/carbon filer replacement costs.

Dirt
Old 06/26/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

the only problem with well water is that the incoming TDS is usually very high. Mine is 500+ and this will cause you to use more filters. As Trnman32 suggested: you could put in cheaper prefilters to collect the majority and save on replacement filters. Check with some of the vendors and check there pricing to see what would be best for your situation.
Old 06/26/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input.I just picked up a 10"sediment filter and a 10"carbon filter that I will put before the RO/DI unit.That should help matters.Still concerned about CO2,it's supposed to be really rough on the DI resin.Anyone else? John
Old 06/26/2007, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

I had the exact problem you have. My well water has a tds reading of 1200 plus and co2 issues as well. I ended up going this route. I got a 100 gpd ro unit with prefilter and carbon and a booster pump to increase pressure. From the ro unit I built a degassing tube and have the water exiting the ro unit drain into the degassing tube run with an airstone and bioballs inside the tube. DIrections for the degassing tube can be found on Spectrapures site under co issues. I then have the water from the degassing tube run into a rubbermade container and then through another booster pump go through two 20" DI filters.

The ro unit gets the water down to about 18-20 TDS and after the dual DI filters down to zero.
Old 06/26/2007, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Here is a pic that hopefully helps.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06/27/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

You guys make me feel lucky. My well water TDS is around 70 right now. After RO (high rejection) I get a reading of 0-1. After DI....nada. I'm running three pre-filters, 2 sediment and I carbon. I think I have a 5 micron, then 1 micron then carbon but I can't remeber off hand.
Old 06/27/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joedirt54
Make sure you add a two or three stage reg filter system before it gets to your ro/di!!!! I bought 2 cheap filters and added them to my water supply from my spring house( a woven filer sediment and a 1 micron sediment), to my water line feeding my kent HiS Ro/Di...This will had loads of life to your 1/2 micron sediment and carbon filers...add another DI down the line and you will have ZeroTDS and lower sediment filter/carbon filer replacement costs.

Dirt
Yea def think about adding a sediment filter. I just put one in after my well pump, makes a big difference.
Old 06/27/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

great idea tom. i was just looking at a degasser for this thread.

seems like a pretty easy system to build.

here is a pic or a larger unit

same principal

Last edited by BigBadBlenny; 06/27/2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06/27/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thorsky
You guys make me feel lucky. My well water TDS is around 70 right now. After RO (high rejection) I get a reading of 0-1. After DI....nada. I'm running three pre-filters, 2 sediment and I carbon. I think I have a 5 micron, then 1 micron then carbon but I can't remeber off hand.
I agree 2 sediments and 1 carbon is a better option for well water systems. No need for 2 carbon prefilters since we don't have the chlorines and such. My well water is 125 TDS. I run a 10 micron sediment, then 5 micron carbon, then 1 micron sediment. I also run a booster pump. I will say the 10 micron gets dirty FAST. However the 5 micron and 1 micron stay clean and the RO water gets a reading of 2.
Old 06/27/2007, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Here's Spectrapure's diagram for the degassing tube.

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm#calcc02
Old 07/29/2007, 12:32 PM
RC Sponsor

Tom glad to see someone has finally built one of these. I am very interested in your results as CO2 is a major issue for lots of hobbyists. Most guys thing it is to labor intensive to set this up and just bite the bullet on resin. I trust your results are favorable or you would not have posted this. This was not in your TOM from May so it must be a new addition for you.

What kind of capacity are you getting from your big blues and are you running mixed bed resin in them or a kati-ani system?

Jim

Last edited by Thefilterguys; 07/29/2007 at 12:48 PM.