Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 03/28/2005, 11:21 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

I think that maybe you could have talked to the salesperson first and if he was unreasonable then talk to the customers. I mean, yeah, you might have cost the store a sale, but it's not like the customers would have had a very high opinion of the store after their coral died a few weeks later anyway.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 03/31/2005, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Interesting thread... I definitely agree with the other posters who saw this as a very common practice in the hobby most of us here have an LFS horror story from our early days - reefkeeping. It really does underscore the basic problem and that is "greed" on the LFS and a desire to have some sort of living on the part of the collectors in "third-world" countries, AND a problem with many reefers who forget that these are living creatures - those reefers thatare in it for the challenge and or one upsmanship. Wonder how many goni's died just to get that one to the LFS --- just to die in a "reefers" tank?

How can we as reefers who proclaim to care about the reefs not take some sort of stance? If we do not begin to "police" ourselves through encouraging LFS to do the right thing and fellow reefers to do the right thing --- AT some point SOMEONE else will step in and do it for US ----

sorry for the long ramble --- Yes you did the right thing IMO ---
Yes lying to make a sale is bad, but harvesting creatures that are known to die once when removed from their natural habitat --- well that is tatamount to a crime.
Old 03/31/2005, 01:29 PM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Quote:
Originally posted by snowstar
...Yes you did the right thing IMO ---
Yes lying to make a sale is bad, but harvesting creatures that are known to die once when removed from their natural habitat --- well that is tatamount to a crime.
I don't know...I'm starting to come around to this whole 'make a scene, get kicked out, and never be able to have an impact on the store's policies ever again' thing. A lot of posters on this thread fail to realize that the very thing you applaud (taking a stand in the store based on principles) will never happen again because he got kicked out. Period. No more stands.
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 03/31/2005, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Without taking a stand... it's business as usual until some other governing entity steps in and decides that they need to regulate the hobby/industry - since we chose not to... kinda like baseball ... hmmm.

I understand that "two species of coral" are now on the endangered list.... not sure yet what that ultimately means.... cause one was just staghorn... boy is that a broad one...

Maybe the method used was wrong --- but taking a stand is not. Again just my opinion.
Old 03/31/2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe the method used was wrong --- but taking a stand is not. Again just my opinion.
I agree.

Old 04/06/2005, 01:51 AM
Moved On

legaly they can not kick you out of the store for that. i know that when the lfs tried kicking me out ( i worked at there rivel lfs for a while) i could of easily sued. any one want to own a lfs :O
Old 04/06/2005, 01:53 AM
Moved On

as long as your not standing there in the place screamin it is your right to help others and protect animals.

I stoped people form buying thing at the lfs i worked at. sales people didnt like me much
Old 04/06/2005, 01:54 AM
Moved On

oh now all those bad sales people work at the junkiest lfs ever .. petworld... they let hte employies come in to work looking like they live on the street ! WHAT TYPE OF STORE IS HAT
Old 04/06/2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by browardreefer
legaly they can not kick you out of the store for that. i know that when the lfs tried kicking me out ( i worked at there rivel lfs for a while) i could of easily sued. any one want to own a lfs :O
It is private property. Once they ask you to leave, if you do not or if you return it is considered felony trespassing. Call any police department and ask

Old 04/06/2005, 09:42 AM

Quote:
How can we as reefers who proclaim to care about the reefs not take some sort of stance? If we do not begin to "police" ourselves through encouraging LFS to do the right thing and fellow reefers to do the right thing --- AT some point SOMEONE else will step in and do it for US ---
This is wishful thinking but not the real world. All the CITES people care about is that the species is not threatened by continual harvesting. As long as theres extras to pull from the ocean and a buck to be made, they will be shipped.

Old 04/06/2005, 12:48 PM
Moved On

not where i live. theycant kick you for somthing like that. ( ok its more complicated then that . but basicaly unless yourcauseingtrouble they cant boot you ) and what he did was not cauing trouble. ( trouble being screaming in the store or disrupting bussines) telling the truth to somone isnt in that catagory. infact report the place to the bbb for what they did.
Old 04/06/2005, 12:49 PM
Moved On

oh if they want to pull up the privit property crude they have to kick everyone unless it is by invitaion :P
Old 04/06/2005, 12:50 PM
Moved On

one more thing im gonna leave this thread before i get in to a fight
Old 04/06/2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by browardreefer
one more thing im gonna leave this thread before i get in to a fight
?

Old 04/06/2005, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

i think you did the right thing...
at one of my LFS's i'm there quite a bit, and people auctualy ask me questions, even some of the workers ask me questions for the customers if i'm there and i've had them not sell quite a bit, so i think my LFS is a quite honest one

but u did the right thing

-brandon