Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/30/2004, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Cycle over - Need Help With Adding Critters

Hi folks,

My tank is about cycled, and I want to get your thoughts on adding a clean up critter crew + a few fish - false percula clowns in particular.

Anyway, I have a 150G with a wet/dry / Fuge run with a Mag 2400 (fuge is on the side). 170 lbs of live rock + 120 lbs of live rock.

Is adding 20 snails, 25 crabs and a couple shrimp what I should start with, or could I also add a few percula clowns?

I just don't want to spike the nitrite just after having the cycle completed by adding too many critters.

thx all,

e
Old 08/30/2004, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

correction, 170 lbs live rock + 120 lbs of live sand.
Old 08/30/2004, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

A wet dry? I didn't think anyone used those in reefs. Read up on crabs because what I have read on RC is that crabs should only be kept in very small numbers with a lot of people saying to not get them at all. Don't add the clowns yet.
Old 08/31/2004, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Wet/dry = sump.

I'm an old fart at 34 in this hobby. I used to build the first type of wet/dry systems for local fish stores - that became popular - the ones with layers of "gravel" that the water would pass through.

I actually used to use the bread trays from the local market, then get the "screen door" material (plastic, not metal!!) to place on top of the bread tray to hold the gravel, then plumb the system and sump with the PVC sprinkler head / rotating bar. Not sure if you remember those, but were from the early 80's.

Best,

E
Old 08/31/2004, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I was thinking those crappy litttle bio balls.
Old 09/21/2004, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

I recently cycled my 120 with 140 lbs LR. I waited a week for some algae growth then added about 80 various snails, 4 BL hermits and 2 scarlets, 2 cukes, and a pair of peppermint shrimp.
Within a few days the algae was under control. After a week, I added 2 small black O. Clowns and a pair of fire fish. I noticed no change in water parameters (0 NO3, PH 8.2 and steady) but an increase in algae after the second week (overfeeding I think). This is when I added a sailfin blenny who had plenty to eat. Now 6 weeks after my cycle I have 5 happy fish, just enough algae to keep "Benny" happy, some good coraline algae growth and soild water parameters.

So what I'm trying to say is you should be fine adding your 2 fish, just don't overfeed them.