Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 10/10/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I am the petstore that she took it to look at. that lighting system is all beat-up. yes wires have been cut, and placed back in unit to look like it was hook-up to somthing. When i took the refecter off i notice there are no ballasts. that unit takes 4 ballast. over $300.00 just to replace. plus a new fan, rusted refecter,and housing cracked. that thing is junk. the only thing i can think is that someone needed ballasts. (maybe for a metal halide system)? you should had just bought it from me. hahaha, just kidding.
Old 10/10/2007, 04:32 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by WallyBackm
I highly doubt they issue a tracking number without packaging the thing first.

Actually, tracking numbers are easily obtainable before shipping via fed ex or UPS or DHL.
Just ask the king of issuing tracking numbers before shipping...... Acrylicman on ebay.

I suppose the difference is his products dont suck when you finally get them.....but dont expect them within 2 months of receiving your tracking number

but thats ANOTHER story
Old 10/10/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

POST EDIT

post removed

Last edited by smiller; 10/10/2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

I am taking some additional steps but, until I get the full information from those I have contacted, I am not sure which way this will go. I have spoken with UPS and am going to contact the store where it was shipped from.
I keep saying I will just let it go and be done but the more I dwell on it the angrier and more disgusted I become. Just a flaming on here won't stop someone from going to another site and pulling another fast one on an unsuspecting buyer. I hope my further actions come to fruit but only time will tell. I have read too many stories about people scammed here as well as other places and in some cases the unlucky buyer just lets it go. I am not, despite what I said earlier.

He said first he had it in storage and checked it. Then he said his buddy had it and checked it while he was there. He has blamed store employees and even suggested UPS. I'm sure the store he shipped from will not be happy at all to hear about his accusations. The UPS rep was certainly unhappy to hear about this little transaction. I will know a lot more tomorrow after speaking with the store manager and was told by UPS to contact them afterward with my results.

All he had to do was give me back my money. I would still be ticked off but I wouldn't be nearly as upset. I despise thieves and liars with a vengeance.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanks saltwaterdad for the backup. Looks like I will be in there for a new light soon. Wait...you aren't thinking of upgrading the monster tank lighting anytime soon are you? You know, new ballasts and such. :-)
Old 10/10/2007, 05:47 PM
Garbologist

Re: POST EDIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Thhitman
post removed
That kind of comment is uncalled for. Be careful what you post in the future here.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/10/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

THREAD EDIT

Don't think your going to get anywhere with RC or UPS. I had a problem with someone on Ebay and tried to let people know about it. RC stopped my trend and Ebay could give a rip. Big business could care less about us little people. Sorry to hear about another reefer begin ripped off.

-----------

This is a family friendly forum. I edited out your abusive language. Please read the User Agreement before posting on RC again.

Steve
RC Mod

Last edited by smiller; 10/11/2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10/11/2007, 04:25 AM
Garbologist

I really am trying to leave this thread open for a bit longer, but it is becoming more and more difficult to do so. Please folks, use a little common sense before you hit the Reply button.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/11/2007, 05:02 AM
Premium Member

Smiller,
I will post whatever I find out about this guy's allegations after I speak with the packing store. After that I think there is no reason to keep this open unless da1jewfish wants to respond to what the store and UPS say. I am calling them as soon as I get home from work and will post with the results. I already have UPS's response but am wanting the store's so there will be no way someone will buy into the sabotage theory.

As your signature says...I'm about to dismount this dead horse.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by da1jewfish
I bought it for my buddy...He tested it with some pc's in it, while I was there and it worked fine.
Quote:
This was also the reason for some confusion b/c I did not have the fixture at my house until later on in the selling steps.
Quote:
This is why the only thing that could have happened (as you might be aware of) is the theft from the shiiping location.
Based on the first comment, it worked as far as he knew.

Based on the second, the fixture was out of his possession for some undetermined amount of time after it was tested.

The third is incorrect....assuming he isn't lying about the fixture working, there is another alternative.....have you considered the "buddy" as the cause?

Good luck.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:30 PM
King of the white corals

Wow TA, thats some benefit of the doubt you are giving him.

He said the light came on. The ballast screw were rusty and hadnt been moved.

Thats the problem with our justice system. innocent until proven guilty, and innocent after proven guilty in some peoples minds

Reagrdless of all of that, there are a lot of reputable sellers who would have given an entire refund no questions asked if anything of the sort ended up going to the buyer........sellers fault or not. I surely would have and probably would have paid their paypal fees to boot so their refund was full

I must admit that there have been times that I have sold things that I had every reason to believe worked fine but didnt actually test. But if the seller doesnt make sure of that before shipping, it is his/her responsibility to make good on it when it in fact it shows up and doesnt.

Last edited by flyyyguy; 10/11/2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TA
Based on the first comment, it worked as far as he knew.

Based on the second, the fixture was out of his possession for some undetermined amount of time after it was tested.

The third is incorrect....assuming he isn't lying about the fixture working, there is another alternative.....have you considered the "buddy" as the cause?

Good luck.

I'm sorry but all of this is irrelevant. When you sell something, especially something for $100, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that it is working before you pack it or before you take it ship n pack or wherever. When you are then confronted with a buyer who receives a light THAT IS MISSING BALLASTS! it is your responsibility to fully refund the purchase price AND shipping charges.

Sure the pack n ship might have ripped out the ballasts. There may also be martians riding pink elephants tomorrow.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

I have finally spoken with UPS and the company he used to ship the light. Point blank...this guy is a liar, thief, slanderer, etc etc etc. The gentleman I spoke to at the packing store remembered da1jewfish bringing in the light. He said it wasn't hard to forget because of what it was he was shipping. This is EXACTLY what the store owner told me:
da1jewfish brought the light in for shipping. The owner got into a little small talk and asked what he did for a living. da1jewfish told him he "fixes lights for a living and had just rebuilt this one and was shipping it back to the customer". The owner was NOT happy at all about being accused of sabotage. He said I should pursue this into criminal action.
UPS was also very unhappy to hear that they also had been accused of tampering with the light. I am to call them back today and tell them the outcome of my conversation with the store owner.

da1jewfish, you have now been proven to be everything I have accused you of. You are deceptive in your transactions and your feeble attempts at defending yourself have failed miserably. You are a malicious person and I hope that all of RC will read this thread and see you for what you truly are. I really hope that $75 was worth it.

Last edited by smiller; 10/11/2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, based on all the evidence we have it is crystal clear that the seller knowingly ripped off the buyer, spent the money as soon as he got it, and is now lying about the entire affair. The "evidence we don't have" can only be impossible theories and off-the-cuff excuses. There are no plausible explanations that make the seller's actions anything short of fraud.
Old 10/11/2007, 03:02 PM
Garbologist

dlsmith21,

I edited out some of your post. Keep it business, please.

Old 10/11/2007, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Sorry Smiller. My fingers kind of went off on a tangent without my brain intervening.
Old 10/11/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

The clear course of action here is to seek recourse through his local police department. It has been done before by people ripped off on Reef Central.
Old 10/11/2007, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Isn't that a major pain for an amount that small? I have never in my life had to do anything like this before. Guess I have been lucky until now.
Old 10/11/2007, 04:06 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

If he refuses to refund the rest of the money and still claims that he is inocent then a criminal complaint is in order. Trust me. Some people do not deserve clean records. The fact that he has a complaint alone is enough to keep him out of some public service jobs for life which is what he may deserve. If he is this way over a simple sale imagine what he may be like in the future. His record will follow him for a very long time.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 10/11/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlsmith21
Isn't that a major pain for an amount that small? I have never in my life had to do anything like this before. Guess I have been lucky until now.
At this point it doesnt seem like a pain, the facts here show that you were deceived and distance should not be an issue.

The local authorities where he is, should be able to help you out
Old 10/11/2007, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

It isn't that much work, and if I makes his life hard it is totally worth it.
Old 10/11/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

I contacted the police department down there and am awaiting a call from someone in ( I believe the officer told me ) the fraud department. I also have a friend here that works for the sheriff's department and will ask him what the best course would be to take against da1jewfish. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and I can take action against this guy.
I will still buy from people on here as it can't be beat when looking for equipment. I have purchased quite a few things with never one second of trouble but the next time will definitely be with my credit card.
Old 10/11/2007, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Make sure that when the officer calls you, you are very clear that you want theft charges filed. As long as you're willing to be the witness, they will file. This is a small enough amount of money that you'd likely be able to testify by phone and not have to travel. In any case, the seller will get a nice addition to his criminal record and you'll get some satsifaction out of that.
Old 10/12/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

wow.. Just read this sorry you had such a bad exp...

IMO he has no real good reason for what he shipped.. Regardless of whether he had the light in his possesion before it shipped or not he should have checked it before it went out..

I have sold things for friends before (Car Audio stuff) and have always made it a point to check what I am about to sell because I am the one that looks bad when something happens.. Unfortunately da1jewfish is looking bad because of what I can only assume is his friends fault... Once again actually assuming that he is not lying and did not know that the light was in that condition... However he should have checked before it went out because he did have access to it before it went out to you..
Old 10/12/2007, 11:39 AM
King of the white corals

How is it his friends fault......when he LIED and said the light worked??

I really shouldnt be posting any more in this thread as it is just wasting bandwidth at this point....but it seriously amazes me that some people give him any benefit of the doubt whatsoever.

1. he lied and said the light worked
2. he lied and said that the packing company or shipping comapany must be at fault when he knew better in an effort to not have to refund

3. those two things aside, he wont own up to the fact that he shipped garbage, nor own up to good business ethics in the slightest

case closed. I hope he gets banned from rc and the original poster is successful in at least adding something to the guys rap sheet. We dont need anyone of the sort participating in the buyer/seller forums here