Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 06/30/2007, 10:59 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by samtheman
And they do a real good job with clouds and water vapor. Its so difficult to model they leave them out.
Not true, water vapor is included. You can't leave out 95% of warming influence and have anything resembling an accurate model.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 06/30/2007, 11:21 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by Conesus_Kid
I'm not sure that most "global warming activists" are on the same page.

Please note that this is merely a guess on my part:

I would bet that if you were to ask ten people (who feel that GW is a major problem) what the number one cause of GW is, nine of them would respond "human CO2 emissions". We never hear too much about solar impact or water vapor/clouds on the nightly news.

Somewhat related, I have trouble wrapping my head around this: The deep ocean is the main CO2 "sink" for the planet. Since cooler liquids dissolve gases more readily (and to a greater extent) than warmer liquids, don't warming oceans exacerbate the release of CO2 into the atmosphere? In my limited Google searching, I've not found a reliable source to tell me if increased atmospheric CO2 levels precede global temperature increases or vice versa. (I'd prefer sources other than Al Gore or the YouTube video posted earlier in the thread.)

I do find it interesting that even though I believe in and practice many of the same things that "global warming activists" promote, they still try to convince me that my thoughts on GW are incorrect.

That is why I try to stay away from these discussions.
Well, let me be clear, the greatest heating influence is the sun, but the current warming is mostly from CO2. That's an important distinction.

From my understanding, the ocean is still a net sink for CO2 and is actually helping to mitigate atmospheric CO2 rise. If it weren't for the ocean, the atmospheric CO2 levels would be around 500 ppm. Warmer water does outgass CO2, but the average temp is still low enough to take more. How much more I have no idea, I know they found that the southern ocean is already saturated.

Lastly, global temp does precede CO2 rises by a couple hundred years. Historically, CO2 doesn't seem to have triggered warming, the triggering is thought to have been orbital variations, but CO2 took it from there. It's an important concept to grasp, and I'm sure my one sentence explanation is inadequate, but a google search will provide more. My little red house is a good link.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 07/22/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

I did horrible because this is just democrat propaganda. It is fake.
Old 07/22/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imsocool5609
I did horrible because this is just democrat propaganda. It is fake.
Yes this is propaganda. Yes some of it is fake. I think you failed to grasp the true message of the quiz.