Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2007, 05:30 PM
------------

If the conditions for these tangs and triggers is so bad then let them overcharge. People are probably more willing to neglect a $1.29 guppy than a $130 trigger. More likely the high price will encourage consumers to research and care for the animal. (or simply prolong its time sitting in the store.........)

I jumped from the first page to the last, sorry if the debate on that one is closed alreay.
Old 01/13/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I was at a Petcetera and they SHOULD NOT be allowed to sell any salt water fish! Their tanks are WAY to small, and thier prices are outrageous! They don't even know what the real names of the fish are (a mandarin goby was called a lawnmower blenny). They don't feed the fish proper foods(every fish gets the same flake food) I saw an anorexic picasso and I felt soooooo bad for it. When I saw that trigger, I felt like talking the the owners of the store and talk some sence into him/her.
Old 01/13/2007, 01:27 PM
------------

What city are you in ?

I was recently disgusted with a petcetera also.....

the floor staff working asked me if an anenome was a plant or an animal
Old 01/13/2007, 02:06 PM
Pragmatic Majic

Quote:
Thats not true with all of them. SOme of them have great lighting. These stores are a chain. THeres huge variation. Some are better than the LFS, some are worse.
There are a few of the newer Petco "picses centers", that have sufficient lighting for corals, but there are only a few of these stores compared to the 100's that are not even close to being a decent environment for corals. This is a very rare exception, so it is incorrect to say there's huge variation from store to store.
Old 01/15/2007, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

yeh i like this thread, i actually go to petco and petsmart just to ask questions and [violation] around with the workers. its funny how they are so uneducated and uncertain about what they sell, pretty sad.

Last edited by Nanook; 01/15/2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01/15/2007, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

yeah almost as sad as what your doing
Old 01/15/2007, 10:22 AM
reef kid

Quote:
Originally posted by reefshadow
There are a few of the newer Petco "picses centers", that have sufficient lighting for corals, but there are only a few of these stores compared to the 100's that are not even close to being a decent environment for corals. This is a very rare exception, so it is incorrect to say there's huge variation from store to store.
wuts a petco picses?
Old 01/15/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

pisces is greek for fish.

Why are folks surprised that Petco doesnt care for their fish correctly? Everytime I log on to this forum, someone new is rantingt and raving about the conditions and pricing of fish and corals at Petco. DONT GO THERE!! Simple as that. Stop buying at Petco and they will stop carrying saltwater fish because it wont be profitable.

In the mean time, please stop the mock surprise, the huffy "Well I nevers", and the photo albums of your visit everytime you go there. What are you doing with a camera in Petco anyway. At least stop posting about it. Please. The same goes for Petsmart.

These are dog and cat stores. Go toi a specialty shop where yopu will find healthier livestock, and better and more knowlegable service.
Old 01/15/2007, 10:56 AM
------------

yes we can use our dollars to decide what the stores do, however as a counterpoint, if we stop posting about these things I don't think that helpds anybody.. perhaps the "Responsible Reefkeeping" forum should be erased as well?
Old 01/15/2007, 12:55 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I think this thread has run it's course.

closed

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."