Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2004, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

i have a quick question about knifefish, tho fresh it is relative to my salt refugium

i want to move some neon tetras a pleco and a pair of gourami's to my freshwater 55 gallon so that i may use that tank as a refugium for my 55 gallon sw aquarium. will an african knifefish eat the neons, cause i kno a clownknife would be supposedly, its been said that africanknifes are community fish and don'ot eat other fish. also, would 300 gph be a good kinda slow flow rate for my refugium to grow copepods and such, i hope this post is relative enough to reefs and this is the only fish forum i kno so... u kno
Old 10/17/2004, 11:11 AM
RC Staff
American

The only knifefish I ever kept when I di fresh water was a black ghost. His mouth was very small, and he was a really good community fish.
I don't know anything about the African Knife that you mention. How big is he, how big is his mouth, and what does he eat now?

300 GPH through a 55 gallon 'fuge should be just fine.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 10/17/2004, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

well the knifefish i'm geussing is about 6 inches long i'm geussing, he always hides so it hard to kno exactly
Old 10/17/2004, 10:37 PM
10 & Over Club

While the African Knife won't get as big as a clown knife, it will call neons dinner

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 10/19/2004, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Clown Knife fish are not aggressive; however, they will eat fish small enough to fit in their mouths. If for now your knifefish is too small to eat your tetras, he won't be for long. He'll eat them as soon as he's able to.
Old 10/19/2004, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

clown knife fish are very aggressive, i'd kno, i have 2 of them, even the way they eat pellats u can tell they aregressive, but my african knife on the other hand, doesn't grow fast, he's been in the tank for a while and i've seen him eat flakes, but now i realized that a 30 gal won't fit under my tank, darn cm never can get those thigns