Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2006, 12:16 AM
But what do I know?

I agree Grim, only you got the order wrong:

OSU
Auburn
USC
WV
FLA

Although the first 2 I do not agree with, AU should be 1st, but they won't be.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 09/17/2006, 12:27 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

AU will not move ahead of SC.
Old 09/17/2006, 06:49 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Florida holds Tennessee to -11 yards rushing and still struggles to pull out a 21-20 win? Congrats on this one, but you better start putting all together if you want to survive much of October.
Old 09/17/2006, 06:50 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer

And SC will not move ahead of AU. The polls will remain divided.
Old 09/17/2006, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

what would be the reasoning behind giving USC the #2 spot vs. Auburn???

Auburn was the #3 team playing the #6 team, USC was #4 playing the #19 (i think?) . . . both teams won.

You can't tell me you think Nebraska's team is on the level as the LSU team that Auburn played.

This whole talk of SEC teams being screwed over . . . there would be nothing more true than if the AP writers decide to put USC @ #2 over Auburn.
Old 09/17/2006, 09:46 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by jcraft

Auburn was the #3 team playing the #6 team, USC was #4 playing the #19 (i think?) . . . both teams won.

You can't tell me you think Nebraska's team is on the level as the LSU team that Auburn played.

This whole talk of SEC teams being screwed over . . . there would be nothing more true than if the AP writers decide to put USC @ #2 over Auburn.
Why does this matter to people? We're three weeks into the season. I can understand the Auburn people being a little upset seeing how they got screwed by the system before, but still, we're only three weeks in. I don't think USC is going to run the table, so it will be irrelevant later on.

Dave
Old 09/17/2006, 09:54 AM
Rubberman

I'd not expect many more wins for AU with that type of offensive show, certainly not a title. Heck, SC's 28 seemed a little lackluster.

SteveU
Old 09/17/2006, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

it might be irrelevant later on, but then again, maybe not.

As has been shown in both teams previous games, their offense can be smothering- the depth of their backfields and recievers are incredible. However, this was a defensive struggle- I.E the defenses shut down the offenses for BOTH teams.
Old 09/17/2006, 10:25 AM
Moved Onward

For those who think USC shouldn't get the #2 slot over Auburn, the pollsters might see it like some of you guys out there and feel Auburn was aided by the refs which cost LSU the game, so they might hold that against them and give USC the nod. It won't kill me though, if Auburn took the #2 spot.
USC's offense needs to get clickin' but the "D" looks damn good! Hopefully, no more injuries for USC.
Looks like ND is in for a long season. I was hoping they would be undefeated when they play USC. As bad as ND looked, they could lose to MichSt and UCLA as well and that will make the game against USC lackluster.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 09/17/2006, 10:28 AM
Moved Onward

Quote:
it might be irrelevant later on, but then again, maybe not.
I agree, I'm sure Auburn still hasn't forgotten a couple years ago. Placement can mean everything when there is more than 2 undefeated teams.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 09/17/2006, 01:23 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling
Florida holds Tennessee to -11 yards rushing and still struggles to pull out a 21-20 win? Congrats on this one, but you better start putting all together if you want to survive much of October.
Did you even watch the game???

Apparently not. Statistics doesn't reveal the game or how it was played. They are simply numbers. Florida had many oppurtunities and many erros. If they had taken advantage of those, I am sure the score would have been much higher for Florida. BTW, Tennessee is a great team, obviously much much better than last year. Not only did we beat them but we beat them in Tennessee with 105,000 fans booing at us. Thats saying something.

After watching the Ohio State game vs. Cinn. I was not impressed at all.

This should be the order

Auburn
OSU
USC
WV
FLA

If I really had it my way it would be this

AUB
FLA
OSU
SC
WV

Unfortunately, there are errors in the system. Thats how Auburn got cheated out a couple years ago.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/17/2006, 01:24 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
WHY??

They already control the number three spot. And beating LSU is much more impressive than beating Nebraska that is finally in the top 25 again.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/17/2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

12-1 record last year which EASILY could have been 13-0 with a 3rd consecutive national championship. Until someone proves otherwise SC should be #2.
Old 09/17/2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
WHY??

They already control the number three spot. And beating LSU is much more impressive than beating Nebraska that is finally in the top 25 again.
For anyone who watched the game AU's win was very unimpressive. At least one questionable call goes the other way and LSU wins that game. SC left no doubt.
Old 09/17/2006, 02:36 PM
Like my pet shark?

Man, all of the SEC fans in here are starting to get unbarable, heres how I think the top 5 should be:
1 Buckeyes
2 Trojans
3 Auburn
4 WV
5 Florida

I was at the OSU game this Saturday, and I will admit that they did not play to their potential but a 37-7 win is still a whoopin'. If I remember correctly, OSU comes close to getting upset just about every time they play UC. They barely pulled by during their 2002 championship year. Also, USC looked pretty darn good against Nebraska and I think they'll be contending for the title. As for all the SEC teams, I hope they get busy beating each other into 4 loss seasons, while all their fans are off whining about how good they are. I honestly think that the SEC is the toughest conference, but all this complaining from their fans is really bothersome. OSU Texas and USC, in my opinion, could and probably would dominate the conference if one of them joined. Their teams are all good but only a few are championship caliber (Auburn, LSU, and Georgia), just like all the other powerful conferences (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10)
Old 09/17/2006, 02:51 PM
Here comes the Gators

whoever is the SEC champion is a pretty damn good team.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/17/2006, 03:59 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
12-1 record last year which EASILY could have been 13-0 with a 3rd consecutive national championship. Until someone proves otherwise SC should be #2.
Last year is irrelevant. That team lost two Heisman winners. This is a different team.

I HATE the argument that a team should be in any given place in the polls based on the previous year. If I had my way, there wouldn't be ANY rankings until mid october, like when they put he first BCS rankings out. That means no more than the argument that Texas should have been 1 to start this year.

Oh, and Auburn is #2 in the AP, then USC, WV, FLA.

Yes, Auburn did get burned a few years ago, but you have to throw in all those other BCS factors that really made the difference, not what one poll says 3 weeks in.
If there offense plays like that every game, then you REALLY don't have to worry about it, because they won't be undefeated at the end of the year.

Dave
Old 09/17/2006, 04:35 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
Last year is irrelevant. That team lost two Heisman winners. This is a different team.

I HATE the argument that a team should be in any given place in the polls based on the previous year. If I had my way, there wouldn't be ANY rankings until mid october, like when they put he first BCS rankings out. That means no more than the argument that Texas should have been 1 to start this year.

Yes, Auburn did get burned a few years ago, but you have to throw in all those other BCS factors that really made the difference, not what one poll says 3 weeks in.
If there offense plays like that every game, then you REALLY don't have to worry about it, because they won't be undefeated at the end of the year.

Dave
I agree. The AP 25 isn't based on the previous seasons. Thats the BCS.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/17/2006, 06:04 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

IMO, both polls seem fairly reasonable to me at the moment. I have some minor disagreement with the 15+ rankings, but it's very minor.

As for Tennessee, I think one poll has us over-rated and one has us under-rated so it all works out.
Old 09/17/2006, 06:10 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
I agree. The AP 25 isn't based on the previous seasons. Thats the BCS.

Say what??? I'm not all that well studied on the BCS, but how does the previous season play into the equation for scoring teams in the BCS poll?
Old 09/17/2006, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

A 30 point win for OSU isnt impressive but 1 score for Auburn and a 1 point win for fla is???

I did watch the games. Tenn played well but not great. Same for Florida. But neither are Championship caliber teams yet.

USC played pretty good. I can see them making it to the big show.
Nebraska gave em a game but run out of steam. About like Cincy did for OSU.

ND, I expected that and said it in the very first post of this thread.

Its still damn early but I'm just going to go ahead and say it now...
Michigan U and OSU will be playing for the spot against USC in the Nation Championship game.
Old 09/17/2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine

Dave
As long as the NCAA depends on a ranking system to determine the top teams last years performance has everything to do with it. How else are you going to determine which teams are strongest? I really think a one loss team will still have a shot at the big game this year. I dont think SC will go undefeated but I would bet money they could take OSU. I wouldn't be surprised to see this year's national champs come from a team that wasn't in the top 5 at the start of the year.

OH, the BSC system doesn't consider the AP poll, only the coache's. Otherwise USC would have been undisputed national champs three years ago
Old 09/17/2006, 07:37 PM
But what do I know?

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg

Its still damn early but I'm just going to go ahead and say it now...
Michigan U and OSU will be playing for the spot against USC in the Nation Championship game.
Hahahaha, I knew it won't take too long to hear that from someone. Michigan, because they beat a WAY over-rated ND team is now a national championship contender?

And the Auburn/LSU game was a game of defense. I doubt USC would be able to score any more than LSU did. I doubt USC could do the same against LSU. I think LSU is going to run the rest of the table.
Old 09/17/2006, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I would bet money they could take OSU.
Look me up around Xmas.
Old 09/17/2006, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm a buckeye fan so there for its my duty to hate MU.

But they are going to move up and should win out. They could very well move way up. If any team in our schedule is going to beat OSU, it would be MU. We play them in the last game of the season and no matter the rankings its always a tuff game.

And I said it was early!! You just heard it here first.