Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

water level for octo NW200

Where should the water level be on the octo to get the best performance? Ready to make the baffles for my sump but would like to know how tall i need to make it. Thanks!
Old 10/17/2007, 02:52 PM
I buy in bulk!

More than 8 less than 15. I run mine in about 14 inches which leaves only a couple inches of standpipe out of the water.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/17/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Slowcobra.
Old 10/17/2007, 05:18 PM
I buy in bulk!

No problem, the height is part of the equation. Make sure whatever you set the height at... it stays at that. An ever changing water level will cause you to hate the skimmer because you "can't seem to get it to skim consistently". Mine is a rock solid performer when the water level stays constant. When I start making changes and the water level goes up or down an inch or 2... it makes a huge difference.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/17/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

I see. How about if i decide to make my baffle 10'' high.....it wouldnt really make a difference on the water level in the skimmer itself because the standpipe is much taller right? Does that make sense at all?
Old 10/17/2007, 05:38 PM
I buy in bulk!

The baffle height doesn't matter, well if it leaves the skimmer in like 18 inches of water it will matter, as long as the section the skimmer is sitting in is always at the same height or within say half an inch. A consistent sump level will net you the best results from the skimmer.

Old 10/17/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

I see....one more question and please bare with me.....what causes the water level to fluctuate? If the return and drains are working properly there shouldnt be any fluctuation right? I can see if the overflows gurgle but would that make a big difference in water level?
Old 10/17/2007, 06:01 PM
I buy in bulk!

Evaporation of the water without an auto top off system. I lose 5 gallons a day from my system. It doesn't seem like that much when you figure I have roughly 275 gals of total system volume but the tank will usually maintain a steady level regardless of the pump. So in an effort to maintain a constant level in the tank the sump will lose the water. Hopefully that makes sense.

Old 10/17/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Perfect sense....Thank you for clearing that up! I completly overlooked the evaporation.
Old 10/17/2007, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for posting this topic. I too have a NW200 and have seen the production go down over the last few weeks. When I first got the skimmer, it was pulling a ton of junk from the water. Now, after about a month, it has slowed. I have the stand pipe as high as it will go too. I am only running about 4 inches of water in my sump due to fears of a flood. I will bump this up to at least 8 inches and see what happens. Thanks again for the information.
Old 10/17/2007, 07:56 PM
I buy in bulk!

4 inches is WAY too shallow. Raise the water level and do a thorough cleaning of the pump with vinegar and you should be back in business.

Romm glad it makes sense after re-reading it I definitely could have worded it better. I was irritated with the post office and my Dr.

Old 10/17/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Jsr, wasn't the pump pulling in extra air with the water level being that low? Btw, did you mod yours in anyway? I wanna run mine stock first to see how it does then maybe do the mesh and venturi mod later.

No worries Todd! The post office will do that to you and thats why i only see the Dr. once a year!