Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

lumenarc cords

Ok, im getting closer to ordering my lights. Im going with the lumenarc mini stealth 250w set up. I have a question about the cord tho.....Which one am i suppose to pick and whats the difference between the PFO, sunlight supply, hydrofarm, PGS w/pigtail???? ordering thru lumenarc btw and those are the choices of cords to choose from. Oh, and this is my first time with setting up halides so im not sure if i need special type of outlets to run them so if you guys can school me on this real quick i would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 10/16/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Depending on what type of ballast you're going to use. If you're going to use pfo then order it with pfo connector so that all you have to do is plug it in to your ballast. No more splicing and wiring.

jesus
Old 10/16/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

It all depends on what ballast you want to run - each manufacturer usually has a proprietary plug, so PGS will hook up whatever cord is appropriate for your ballast, or leave you with a bare wire if you don't know what ballasts you're going to use, or if you're going to use something like Icecaps.

Did you know they're up in San Rafael - I just picked up directly from them, saves you some $$ in shipping, plus Tom and Dan are pretty good guys to chat with.

HTHs
Old 10/17/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I"ll be using Icecaps so I should go with the PGS cord?? Does that plug into your standard electrical socket?

Vapormd, I actually did plan on picking them up since there not too far. Hopefully I'll be able to get em by the end of the month.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Since you are going to be picking up your stuff, and they probably have most of the plugs you want in stock in their warehouse, I would suggest making the decision of what plug to get between the ballast and the lights when you get there.

FYI - The last 175W Ice Caps I bought, didn't come with plugs on either side and I had to wire both sides. However, my 400W Ice Caps came with a plug for the wall. My 250W Ice Caps also didn't come with a plug for the wall.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 10/17/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Roy. I guess it would be easier picking which plug when im there. Is it pretty random which cords come with the IC ballast? Oh and one more thing........Can i make the purchase at lumenarc or do i have to order it online and request to pick it up? Thanks!
Old 10/17/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

If you are using the IC ballast, you can just get the regular cord. The PFO cord is pretty short.

If you don't mind spend another $10, get the quick disconnect connector. Much easier when you need to disconnect the ballast for any reasons.
Old 10/17/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Phong, when you say regular cord are you talking about the raw cord? And the quick connect cord is a option when buying the ballast itself right? Sorry man, this is all new to me!
Old 10/17/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Yeah just the raw cord or whatever you call it ... If you don't mention the type of cord, that is what you will get. The quick connect is an option when you order the pendant.. NOT THE BALLAST... If you call them, they can help you out. They are good people ..
Old 10/17/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up! .........maaaaaaan....i think i will just go back to PC's! LOL!
Old 10/17/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

rommel, when do you think you'll have your tank officially up and running? I hope things are going well man!!

-garett
Old 10/17/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Whats going on Garret! Hopefully by Jan if my plans fall thru. Currently trying to change jobs at the moment so when I get settled I can put more time into it. Wasted alot of time and money trying to get mortgages but the market just plain and simply sucks so i decided to drop it all together.....plus my broker was a POS so that helped alot in my decision. Other than that alls well. Hows your tank bro? Hope alls good with you too! Tell the wifey i said hello!
Old 10/17/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rommelgin
Oh and one more thing........Can i make the purchase at lumenarc or do i have to order it online and request to pick it up? Thanks!
I called ahead just to make sure they were open, had stuff in stock, etc, and paid when I picked them up.

They're about 30 min north of SF
Old 10/17/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vapormd
I called ahead just to make sure they were open, had stuff in stock, etc, and paid when I picked them up.

They're about 30 min north of SF
Thanks Vapormd! I will give them a call soon.
Old 10/17/2007, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

If I were you , I would just head up to see them. Also, Save the money your spending on the stealth and just buy the mini and then paint it black with Rustoleum spray paint.
PGS has some cool boxes for the ballasts. All you have to do is take in your ballasts and have them do the wiring for you.
Old 10/17/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

TikiDan, I did consider the mini's at first but really liked the look of the aquascape DE bulbs. Looks like i wouldnt need actinic supplement with those bulbs thus less electricity used. However, i do like the look of the 2 bulbs you have on your 125. What bulbs are you using for the 2 on the sides if you dont mind me asking?
Old 10/17/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

They are SE Ushio 20k's They have great blue color. They could probably use some actinics but look OK without them.