Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2006, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I'd say this year people know as much about the B10 too...just depends on the year.

The only way you'll be able to compare the SEC to other conferences is in bowl games. Some other conferences have big OOC games, like OSU-UT, UM-ND, Louisville-Miami, etc. The SEC has had one game between a real SEC team and a real other team, and they got it handed to them. Either the SEC is great top to bottom, which we all know isn't true, or it is pretty mediocre top to bottom.

GT does look pretty good since the loss to ND. The QB is decent but is holding down Calvin Johnson. If he had a great QB, he'd be high in the running for the Heisman and they probably would be unbeaten. I'm guessing they get a BCS since they're in the joke conference this year.
Old 10/19/2006, 12:37 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
GT does look pretty good since the loss to ND. The QB is decent but is holding down Calvin Johnson. If he had a great QB, he'd be high in the running for the Heisman and they probably would be unbeaten. I'm guessing they get a BCS since they're in the joke conference this year.
GT will be an interesting one to watch. They have enough schedule left to get into a BCS bowl if they can keep pulling up W's. They might even be able to do it with a 2nd loss.
Old 10/19/2006, 01:05 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
People know about the SEC because the SEC fans talk the same line of crap every year and more often than not the SEC fails to live up to the hype. If nothing else you guys are good for some laughs.
Yeah okay.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/19/2006, 01:07 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by ECEKatko
I'd say this year people know as much about the B10 too...just depends on the year.

The only way you'll be able to compare the SEC to other conferences is in bowl games. Some other conferences have big OOC games, like OSU-UT, UM-ND, Louisville-Miami, etc. The SEC has had one game between a real SEC team and a real other team, and they got it handed to them. Either the SEC is great top to bottom, which we all know isn't true, or it is pretty mediocre top to bottom.

What game are your referring too? Please don't say the auburn- Wisconsin game because I have never seen Auburn play so horrible in my life.

Oh yeah, who won the NC in 2004 with the Sooners vs. the Tigers? Oh yeah, the Tigers did.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/19/2006, 01:09 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by donald altman
gotta love all this focus on the SEC right now... ever single one of you have opinions about SEC teams.. this is great. I think it is great too that there is what 12 SEC teams and it seems like the people not from the region or claim the SEC isn't the best seem to know all about the SEC even the crap teams... more so then an average person would know about other confrences outside their region. Anyways.. I don't think florida offense is overated..
they are a tad bit but they have earned my respect.. they do play hard.. Tennessee isn't great. Auburn is relativly good...but I think the hogs are better then both of them.
Georgia has played horrible this year, this isn't a rebuilding year.. this is a teardown year. next year will be rebuilding.. you have to suffer losses in order to rebuild. We are letting a 5th year senior 3rd gen UGA player screw our program up by allowing him to be our QB but rotating him out with 2 other redshirt freshmen that are far better then him we are givin our players mixed signlas... they don't have a clear leader to stand behind and the only reason Joe T is given a shot is becuase of his name.

Hey gang what do you all think about Georgia Tech?
Thos Yellow Jackets look pretty good this year.. I think they have a great QB.
Correct. At least someone on here knows what they are talking about.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/19/2006, 01:10 PM
But what do I know?

Quote:
The SEC has had one game between a real SEC team and a real other team, and they got it handed to them.
Yep, Cal really handed it to Tennessee.
Old 10/19/2006, 01:11 PM
Microreefologist

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
because I have never seen Auburn play so horrible in my life.
Exactly his point.

When Auburn plays other sucky SEC teams, they look good. Put them in a bowl game against a Big 10 team, you've never seen a team play worse.

Genesis 1:21
Old 10/19/2006, 01:23 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by jgoodrich71

haha...that must be embarrassing for Cal to lose to an SEC team. I mean, SEC teams are horrible. They should be in a division lower than the almighty PAC 10 and Big 10 teams.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/19/2006, 01:25 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by eckrynock
Exactly his point.

When Auburn plays other sucky SEC teams, they look good. Put them in a bowl game against a Big 10 team, you've never seen a team play worse.
Ummmm...no. Auburn just had a bad game there buddy. If they had played good, they would have schooled the "badgers."

Any team against sucky SEC teams such as Kentucky or Miss. State is going to look good.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/19/2006, 01:30 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:

The SEC has had one game between a real SEC team and a real other team, and they got it handed to them.

Quote:
Originally posted by jgoodrich

Please hold your calls, we have a looser!!!!!
Old 10/19/2006, 01:35 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Come on guys we will find out for the national championship who is the real deal. I am calling and yes i hate to say it, Florida to be winning it this year.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/19/2006, 01:39 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by bluecarpet
Come on guys we will find out for the national championship who is the real deal. I am calling and yes i hate to say it, Florida to be winning it this year.
Florida winning the NC or vs Georgia?

I am not to sure about Florida taking it all for the NC but don't discount their potential.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/19/2006, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Man, that's the second time I forgot that game in this thread. Ok, SEC is 1-1 in OOC games. I meant USC-ARK in that post, btw. Most people would mention Auburn and FLA as the top in the SEC now, though, and neither of them have played anyone. I left out Cal-Tenn, but my point still stands. The top teams in the SEC haven't played anyone this year outside of the SEC.

Nobody on earth thinks the SEC is the worst BCS conference. Everyone outside of SEC fans and commentators just think it isn't by far the strongest. The PAC-10 is stronger top to bottom than the SEC, the B10 has at the very least 3 bowl teams and 2 in the top 3 of the country. BE has two undefeated teams in the top 10 and another ranked team, B12 has UT and Nebraska. Everyone knows the ACC is the class of the NCAA this year, in every sense of the word.

FLA isn't even going to go to the NC. The odds are pretty darn good that either OSU or UM will go unbeaten, and the winner will get a spot. No questions asked. IF USC wins out, they will get a spot. Otherwise, if Louisville or WVU win out, they will get a spot. They're low in the BCS now but they'll rise a lot once they play each other/Rutgers/Pitt. One or two of the SEC teams will get a BCS game, but it won't be the NC. Then they'll get a chance to prove themselves, just like last year, when Auburn and Georgia manhandled their opponents. Talk all you want about how they just played their worst games of the year, but nobody else really believes it.
Old 10/19/2006, 03:02 PM
But what do I know?

Yeah, Auburn does has a pretty pathetic nonconference schedule. I mean they only beat Washington St. 40-14. (What was that WSU/USC score again?), and I mean come on LSU played Arizona to a close 45-3 game. The SEC should be ashamed of playing PAC 10 teams.

If the top SEC teams had to play MN, Northwestern, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisconsin, we would have several unbeatens as well.
Old 10/19/2006, 03:09 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Lets see

Georgia lost to West Virginia but did beat Boise State who was 7-5
Auburn lost Wisconsin and Georgia Tech
Florida did beat Iowa who was 7-5
Bama did win a tough game against 10-3 Texas Tech
Kentucky lost to Indiana and Louisville
LSU Squeeked by 7-5 AZ State but did put the mean woopin on Miami who sucked hard last year.
Tennesee lost to Notre Dame
Need I mention Arkansas?
South Carolina lost to clemson and missouri

SEC

Suuuuuuupaaar Conference

Other than Bama no SEC team beat an out of conference team that was a national power. Texas Tex at 10-3 was the best you faced.
Old 10/19/2006, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
People know about the SEC because the SEC fans talk the same line of crap every year and more often than not the SEC fails to live up to the hype. If nothing else you guys are good for some laughs.
Amen!

That just might be the smartest comment in this whole damn thread!
Old 10/19/2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Man, that's the second time I forgot that game in this thread. Ok, SEC is 1-1 in OOC games. I meant USC-ARK in that post, btw. Most people would mention Auburn and FLA as the top in the SEC now, though, and neither of them have played anyone. I left out Cal-Tenn, but my point still stands. The top teams in the SEC haven't played anyone this year outside of the SEC.

Nobody on earth thinks the SEC is the worst BCS conference. Everyone outside of SEC fans and commentators just think it isn't by far the strongest. The PAC-10 is stronger top to bottom than the SEC, the B10 has at the very least 3 bowl teams and 2 in the top 3 of the country. BE has two undefeated teams in the top 10 and another ranked team, B12 has UT and Nebraska. Everyone knows the ACC is the class of the NCAA this year, in every sense of the word.

FLA isn't even going to go to the NC. The odds are pretty darn good that either OSU or UM will go unbeaten, and the winner will get a spot. No questions asked. IF USC wins out, they will get a spot. Otherwise, if Louisville or WVU win out, they will get a spot. They're low in the BCS now but they'll rise a lot once they play each other/Rutgers/Pitt. One or two of the SEC teams will get a BCS game, but it won't be the NC. Then they'll get a chance to prove themselves, just like last year, when Auburn and Georgia manhandled their opponents. Talk all you want about how they just played their worst games of the year, but nobody else really believes it.
Now this wins for funniest post. If fla goes unbeaten and wins the SEC, mark my words THEY WILL BE IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out. USC will lose a game, so throw them out of the big picture b/c they are about to be in the small picture and the BCS rankings computer is going to have a crash with USC losing one, two, maybe even three games.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/19/2006, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Ah yes, I remembered that I'm not replying to rug. Grim, would you like to handle this?
Old 10/19/2006, 04:02 PM

So your telling me that if florida does win out and wins the SEC they will not be going to the big game? Are you serious?

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/19/2006, 04:10 PM

Auburn brags about beating Wash State that might end up 7-5 with a lot of luck

Bama demolished Hawaii 25-17

Tennessee thumped Cal almost as bad as USC thumped Arkansas

Other than USC, Cal, Georgia Tech and maybe Florida State what ranked teams has the elite of the mighty SEC scheduled this year? 4 stinking games

AZ scheduled LSU
Wash State Scheduled Auburn
Washington Scheduled Oklahoma
Orgon Scheduled Oklahoma
UCLA Scheduled Notre Dame
California Scheduled Tennessee
Stanford Scheduled Notre Dame
And the undisputed kings of non conference Scheduling this year USC brings in Arkansas, Nebraska and Notre Dame

Hell I got nothing but time

Big Ten

OSU Schedules Texas
Michigan Schedules Notre Dame
Penn St. Schedules Notre Dame
Mich State brings in Notre Dame
Purdue Schedules Notre Dame (why the hell doesn't ND just join the damned confrence)
Minnesota Schedule Cal
Old 10/19/2006, 04:14 PM

Well he still has not got to the question. If FLA wins out and wins the sec they will be in the NC game, no doubt about it.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/19/2006, 04:16 PM
But what do I know?

That is because we need a break in between the conference games. Those other conferences HAVE to bring in competition from outside of their conference, because their conference has only 1 or 2 good teams. The SEC gets all of its tough games in-conference.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 10/19/2006, 04:23 PM

1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Michigan
4. Auburn
5. West Virginia
6. Florida
7. Louisville
8. Notre Dame
9. Texas
10. California
11. Tennessee
12. Clemson
13. Arkansas
14. Oregon
15. Boise State
16. Rutgers
17. Nebraska
18. LSU
19. Georgia Tech
20. Boston College
21. Wisconsin
22. Oklahoma
23. Iowa
24. Missouri
25. Tulsa

Ok guys let me explain this to you nicely. Lets say florida wins out and beats Auburn for the SEC(keep in mind that these are the BCS rankings) Louisville beats WV, FLA and Auburn are still ahead of them in the BCS, hopefully you guys get that. Michigan or OSU has to lose, the winner of that will be #1 no doubt. Hopefully you are still following along. By the time all this happens USC will allready have lost a game or two and will be out. The winner of the OSU/MI game will play FLA for the NC just as long as FLA wins out and wins the SEC. Hopefully you guys get that.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/19/2006, 04:40 PM

Florida still plays

Georgia who will end up unranked if Fla wins
Vandy who will end up 5-7 at best
S. Carolina who will be lucky to go 7-5
Western Carolina who will be 2-8 when they meet
Florida State who will also be unranked.

Texas plays Nebraska and A&M which are both top 20 teams plus 3 other teams with winning records. Neb and AM will still be ranked with loses to Texas and the other three will still have winning records. Texas is rated ahead of Fla in the Harris and Coaches polls and will jump Fla on SOS in the computers.

Louisville and West Virgina play each other plus Rutgars which is also undefeated and Pitt which has one loss. Either of those teams win out florida can forget it. They are both rated higher than florida in the Harris and Coaches poll so their superior SOS finishing off the year will put either ahead of Fla.

Auburn has a shot if Georgia and Alabama don't lose another game before they play AU.
Old 10/19/2006, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Grim, that would do it pretty well.