Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/10/2005, 05:30 AM
Actinia equina

I'm gonna go chunk it.
Old 05/10/2005, 05:32 AM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Old 05/10/2005, 05:40 AM
Actinia equina

(In the words of NCB.)
Old 05/10/2005, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Ok it looks like I have to adjust my skimmer daily so that it keeps working at all; fine, if the nitrates go below 5ppm I'll be happy [as they are around 15 ppm now and my anemone is feeling that]. I also got some Seachem's Purigen, we'll see how that works too...
Old 05/10/2005, 10:24 AM
Actinia equina

Chemicals, chemicals, why do people result to chemicals. Let us take a look at Purigen's claims...
Purigenâ„¢ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%.
Big words. Basically, it is a Manufactured "sponge" unlike other filtration products. It is not a conglomerate of ion-exchangers or absorbers, but is instread, like, a sponge, a material that removes dissolved and particule impurities from the water. It does it faster than other chemicals/products. Want to know what else removes particles and dissolved organic materials rapidly? A water change.
Purigenâ„¢ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds.
It removes organic wastes and ammonia, nitrites,a nd nitrates. That's pretty funny! So does a water change!
Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal.
Water changes replenish trace elements. Though Purigen's impact on them is minimal, we can assume that it depletes them "minimally." Water changes don't.
It significantly raises redox.
waterchanges
It polishes water to unparalleled clarity.
Um... yeah... must I say it again? So far this product does exactly what water changes do.
Purigenâ„¢ darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach.
Water changes can be used forever, and there is no need for risky bleach treatments.
Purigenâ„¢ is designed for both marine and freshwater use.
Hmm... so are water changes...
This product is sold by volume. Cited weight is minimal weight.
Spend the money oin something else. Like salt for your water changes.

That said, I would like to present you with a new innovation in water clarification!

Easy to use, easy to keep in running condition, no moving/electrical parts, it's magic I tell ya!

And you only have to run it once a week!

This simple transparent device, when applied to usage by technique of siphoning, with a frequency of one time per week, benefits water held within our aquariums by way of particulate removal resulting in enhancement of clarity and lessoning of toxins ergo, providing our fish with a water quality more congruent to the ideal.

You know as well as I do, however, that such ideas being far too radical, will be subject to rebuke, and will not be accepted by the fish hobbiest's community; but you can still dream can't you? You can still dream...

Old 05/10/2005, 02:14 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

I picture you Mike as an evil scientist in your home conducting experiments all the time and proving your parents wrong daily.

Why don't you come to Ohio?
Old 05/10/2005, 02:21 PM
Actinia equina

You hit the nail on the head.

Except, when I prove my parents wrong, which I accomplish with great frequency (f--- modesty), they just storm away. They're no fun.

Ohio sounds nice. Those ricordea ready for fragging?
Old 05/10/2005, 02:28 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Purple or green?
Old 05/10/2005, 02:29 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Or orange?
Old 05/10/2005, 02:29 PM
Actinia equina

Purple sounds cool, as does green. But purple sounds more radicool.
Old 05/10/2005, 02:31 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Ill take a picture of both.

I have 1 huge green yuma... and like 3-4 baby ones and I think 3-5 smaller purple ricordeas. Ill show ya.
Old 05/10/2005, 02:36 PM
Actinia equina

Sweetness.
Old 05/10/2005, 02:40 PM
Midnight thread lurker

I want one...
Old 05/10/2005, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

I don't like algae. My attack on algae has begun though, so I should soon see a recession. Also my tank is young, so I guess time is good too.

Phase 1: Foxface - Accomplished
Phase 2: Chaetomorpha for Nutrient Export - Saturday
Phase 3: 30 Cerith Snails (more snails coming later) - Saturday
Phase 4: Water Changes - After Saturday, when I get more salt

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 05/10/2005, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

I don't have time to do a water change during AP exams or finals... Besides, it doesn't hurt to test it out does it?
Old 05/10/2005, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan55
I don't know if it is the way you worded it or because it is 6:30 in the morning.... but I cannot tell what you saying there cube.
Heres my point, The aiptesia is GONE, maybe the peppermint Shrimp ated. HOPEFULLY! I don't see that one single aiptesia, eh? aiptesia don't move right?
Old 05/10/2005, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Well, my aiptasia disappeared, and then showed up on the other end of the tank. Aiptasia are magical creatures

Old 05/10/2005, 05:10 PM
niiiiiiice car

alrighty so i am setting up my new tank at like somepoint all i have left in my 55 is rock and sand and a tongue coral and my clowns which i WILL get rid of...somehow... i need to find someone to take them blah. But anyway, if i am just useing my old rock and killing some of it b/c of all the aptasia and putting that in my new tank with new sand does it really need to fully cycle again?
Old 05/10/2005, 05:21 PM
Addicted to H2O

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamko
I don't have time to do a water change during AP exams or finals... Besides, it doesn't hurt to test it out does it?
I am a big fan of Purigen. It (along with water changes) keeps my 20 gal running, despite very heavy feeding.

Quote:
Originally posted by pixburg-reefer
But anyway, if i am just useing my old rock and killing some of it b/c of all the aptasia and putting that in my new tank with new sand does it really need to fully cycle again?
Hey Kelly! How are you "killing" your rock? Even if you think it's 100% dead afterwards, I would definitely watch for a cycle before adding anything--just to be safe.

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Old 05/10/2005, 05:26 PM
niiiiiiice car

hi kayla!!! hmm well i usually just threw it in a freshwater container for a week or so and then let it sit out and dry so just dead rock. I've done it with a few pieces of rock before and it never seemed to affect anything so i assumed that was an alright method, then it's just base rock but gets re-seeded by my live rock.
Old 05/10/2005, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

aHA! In my thread, I have just been informed that my algae blooms could be caused by low alkalinity. I know how to fix that, yessssss. So once I fix my Alk, and follow through with my 4 stage assault, this is what it will look like:
Me Algae

Old 05/10/2005, 05:44 PM
Addicted to H2O

Quote:
Originally posted by pixburg-reefer
hi kayla!!! hmm well i usually just threw it in a freshwater container for a week or so and then let it sit out and dry so just dead rock. I've done it with a few pieces of rock before and it never seemed to affect anything so i assumed that was an alright method, then it's just base rock but gets re-seeded by my live rock.
There might still be some dead critters trapped in the rock. I would still watch for a cycle if I were you, but that's just my opinion.

PS - you have a reply

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Old 05/10/2005, 05:49 PM
Actinia equina

So, are ya back or what?
Old 05/10/2005, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

I think it's obvious, eh chap?

Old 05/10/2005, 05:55 PM
LIL VIC

Aloha everyone!

nece to c the thread is back

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind."
-'Dr. Seuss'