Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2004, 09:51 AM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by clavery
I used to cook for my husband in lingerie - didn't get much cooking done, but it sure was fun!
I agree - cook naked.... Watch out for the oven door though....
Old 11/30/2004, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
OK - these ideas might sound dorky, but here goes. Cook!!!! Cooking is easy, you get to eat what you make, and it's a great thing to do on cold winter days. Cook together with your girlfriend - food can be fun!!!! I used to cook for my husband in lingerie - didn't get much cooking done, but it sure was fun!

Also, where in CT are you? there are tons of historic sites and buildings to visit, and they usually don't require a big entrance fee. We go to Hartford to visit the Twain house, the Norwalk aquarium is cool, and you can always go to Stew Leonards and talk with the talking animals.

Food for thought, no pun intended!!!

Cheryl
That's a great idea but I think I'll skip the lingere...don't think my girlfriend would appreciate me running around the house in my skivvies

I've seen most if not all of the historic sites and aquariums but they'll do in a pinch if I run out of things to do!

Great ideas....keep `em coming!
Old 11/30/2004, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

also, watch out for splattering oil!!! nasty burns!!!

cheryl
Old 11/30/2004, 10:42 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

You have a camera? If so just get out and take a bunch of pictures, not only is it good exercise wandering about but it also gets your brain working trying to figure out how to get that good shot... Warning though, if you get into it photography can be just as expensive as another tank!

-Dino-

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 11/30/2004, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
You have a camera? If so just get out and take a bunch of pictures, not only is it good exercise wandering about but it also gets your brain working trying to figure out how to get that good shot... Warning though, if you get into it photography can be just as expensive as another tank!

-Dino-
Yup and I do enjoy photography quite a bit! Just gotta wait for a good snowstorm to get some really nice pics....nature is being kind of "blah" at the moment
Old 11/30/2004, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
also, watch out for splattering oil!!! nasty burns!!!

cheryl
I'd imagine so!! YOW!!
Old 11/30/2004, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amcarrig
Yup and I do enjoy photography quite a bit! Just gotta wait for a good snowstorm to get some really nice pics....nature is being kind of "blah" at the moment
B&W and Macro lenses work really well for those kind of days.
Only good photo I ever took in college was down by the lake on a day just like that...

- Mac
Old 11/30/2004, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferMac
B&W and Macro lenses work really well for those kind of days.
Only good photo I ever took in college was down by the lake on a day just like that...

- Mac
So you're saying that I need to go out and buy a b&w and macro lens?
Old 11/30/2004, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
I agree - cook naked.... Watch out for the oven door though....
Ummmm....I don't think that's going to be an issue for me?
Old 11/30/2004, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood
Quite the opposite. Many teens and 20-somethings are discovering vinyl for the first time. Much to their surprise, they are finding out that analog music sounds WAY better than the tinny, sampled sound of digital Red Book CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, and most certainly better than mp3s.
You just reminded me that back in the 80's, I joined a record club, but my turntable broke, so I never even opened some albums. I forgot all about them, so I just went to find them: Tull, Eagles, Zappa, Steely Dan, Browne, Supertramp, Santanna, Bowie, and a few others. All still in cellophane, and un-opened!!
Maybe I will go look on e bay for a turntable. Thanks.
Old 11/30/2004, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Screw that, hock 'em on eBay. Unopened Zappa? That's gotta be worth some coin.

- Mac
Old 11/30/2004, 01:48 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by Yukon
You just reminded me that back in the 80's, I joined a record club, but my turntable broke, so I never even opened some albums. I forgot all about them, so I just went to find them: Tull, Eagles, Zappa, Steely Dan, Browne, Supertramp, Santanna, Bowie, and a few others. All still in cellophane, and un-opened!!
Yukon, old buddy! Don't waste your money on a turntable. Records that old will be totally unplayable if they've been sealed that long. Just send them to me, and I'll see to it that they are properly disposed of.....bio-hazard, you know.
Old 11/30/2004, 02:41 PM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by amcarrig
Ummmm....I don't think that's going to be an issue for me?
oh - I see.... I'm sorry...
Old 11/30/2004, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
oh - I see.... I'm sorry...
I'm not. Of course I'm assuming that you were talking about getting something "caught" in the oven door or did all that go completely over my head?
Old 11/30/2004, 03:38 PM
Monkey

if it goes completely over your head - you got bigger problems...
Old 11/30/2004, 03:40 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
bigger
What an appropriate adjective.
Old 11/30/2004, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
if it goes completely over your head - you got bigger problems...
Especially when you consider that I'm a female
Old 11/30/2004, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Okay now, before this thread goes COMPLETELY out of control, I'll have a little gloat. Here are some of the un-opened VIRGIN albums I found : http://tinyurl.com/5xte6

And here is the kind of records they were stored with. (I actually remember this guy) : http://tinyurl.com/5axat

So amcarrig, To beat the winter blues, start searching around your house. Ya never know what you will find!
Old 11/30/2004, 05:49 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Definitely a danger to your household. Send them to me for disposal immediately.

An unopened Aja would probably fetch $10-15 on ebay.
Old 11/30/2004, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yukon
So amcarrig, To beat the winter blues, start searching around your house. Ya never know what you will find!
Hmmm...good thinking. So, what do you think the resale value is for dust bunnies?
Old 12/01/2004, 08:40 AM
Truth Seeker

ROAD TRIP ! Dont know where in CT you are but if you get the CT post there are listings every day of stuff going on that it usually free or cost very little...Finding never visited before LFS's is always fun even if just to see what they have new....
Old 12/01/2004, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

Hi Dan....an ideas for a road trip? I'm in Wethersfield. Seems I've seen just about everything interesting that there is to see in CT and MA and as far as I know, there isn't an lfs that I haven't visited already. Wait a second....how will that help me keep it cheap?
Old 12/01/2004, 09:23 AM
m0delgator

You're only a few hours from one of the best Bonsai gardens/suppliers in the easterh half of the country - New England Bonsai.

Dunno if that's your thing or not, but IMHO it would be a fascinating place to go on a road trip even if you weren't interested in the hobby.
Old 12/01/2004, 09:45 AM
Truth Seeker

Dont cost anything to look...Now assuming you can resist the temptation....What kind of will power do you have ???? ...Lotsa stuff to do in NYC too. You're not too far ! Botanical Gardens, Bronx Zoo, a Sunday afternoon looking @ the Macy's windows and the tree is always fun...(free too)
Old 12/01/2004, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Fagan
Dont cost anything to look...Now assuming you can resist the temptation....What kind of will power do you have ???? ...Lotsa stuff to do in NYC too. You're not too far ! Botanical Gardens, Bronx Zoo, a Sunday afternoon looking @ the Macy's windows and the tree is always fun...(free too)
Is "none" a kind of willpower?

Have you ever been to the public aquarium in Long Island? It wasn't around when I lived there so I have no idea if it's worth the trip or not.