Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2004, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

Hey look justletmein,

It's Penut Butter Jelly Time!!!! thas so cool...
Old 01/02/2004, 08:52 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Quote:
Originally posted by Coral Dilema
OK, just took an audit of this thread, it appears we hae 10 reefers playing [...]
Make that eleven -- you forgot me. I am playing under "Runner", of course.

Edit
And I've just started playing around with ships this morning. I sent a colony fleet to an unoccuppied world and a destroyer to another. At present culture growth, I won't be able to take a world until sometime tomorrow, though. This is Day 4 for me and things are finally starting to get interesting.

Last edited by Runner; 01/02/2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01/02/2004, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

You could count me too, although I joined the game before posting on this forum...
Old 01/02/2004, 09:03 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Quote:
Originally posted by vinsane
You could count me too, although I joined the game before posting on this forum...
So is Justletmein using Astrowars to recruit reefers now? Or were you one of those before posting, too?
Old 01/02/2004, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

No actually, I've talked with him about on and off for the last year now... Unfortunately he manages to talk me out of it with is statement... "If I knew how much it was gonna cost me... I woulda never bought the tank in the firdt place." Of course I think he's afraid to get me into it, cause every time I ask him for a tank he offers it to me at cost (which is too expensive in my mind) and offers it to someone off the board at a really really really ridiculously low price
Old 01/02/2004, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

My cousin started playing the other day too. So we may be able to add one more to the alliance. Although he doesn't own a fish tank.
Old 01/02/2004, 10:13 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Heck, with 5300+ people playing, we can use all the friendlies out there that we can get. Aneille and I are fortunate to share the same star system.

As near as I can tell, the game has also been going on for four weeks now. Is that correct? Some players have some very large fleets out there. I am glad they hid us new-comers in some corner of the galaxy...
Old 01/02/2004, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

No, the game only started on the 15th... imagine how it will be in another two weeks It's always good to have allies close to you...
Old 01/02/2004, 12:43 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Guys, I just got the following message:

Quote:
20:37:25 - Jan 03
Attention !!! We have evidence of an incoming fleet around that time.
2 Destroyer
going to attack Alpha Gienah (Cyg) 4!
We suppose its the Fleet of telssa.
Is this a joke? Or is it a precurser to weaken my Starbase before the real fleet comes in? This guy has been behind me in production (I assumed), so I am not sure if this is a serious threat or not.

I have been active for 4 days now. My stats are as follows:

Population 7
Hydroponic Farm 6
Robotic Factory 6
Galactic Cybernet 5
Research Lab 4
Starbase 4

Science:
Biology 3
Economy 0
Energy 5
Mathematics 4
Physics 4
Social 7

Is there any advice you can give me? Could there be more or less destroyers than listed? This sounds like a free bump up to Level 1, but I don't want to be too cocky...

P.S. I have 3 destroyers of my own, but they are enroute to some vacant worlds.

Last edited by Runner; 01/02/2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01/02/2004, 12:51 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Quote:
Originally posted by justletmein
If you look in your trading screen you'll now see you have 1 SU (Supply Unit) in inventory. You can sell this for AstroDollars and turn around and buy Production Points or use it for ONE full upgrade to one of your facilities except for starbases. In the trading screen you'll see that prices for these items vary depending on market, if a lot of people are buying SU's the prices will go up (which they are, fast) and there's a spreadsheet you can click on to get history. At this point of the game do not waste your SU by upgrading a facility, it's much better to sell it for A$ and buy PP's, which you'd get about 450 of at the current rate, then use those PP's to upgrade a bunch of stuff. Now, once you get your factories and such up to where it takes 1800 PP's to get to the next level, that's when you spend the SU for the upgrade instead of selling it.
So, does this mean that Aneille and I should throw a few destroyers at each other so that we can get a couple of free supply units? The costs are far less than the gains...
Old 01/02/2004, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Yes... if you don't have your 1st level... send a couple of ds at their SB that will give them 6 points in which to gain a level... you can do this for ever... but you'll have to keep sending more nad more ds...
Old 01/02/2004, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

runner - i wouldnt worry - 2 cant hurt you but if you are worried up your starbase

also instead of attacking aneille to get your points why not attack the other players in your system? the guy attacking you perhaps - get aneilee to at the same time attack another planet of his
Old 01/02/2004, 02:09 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Another question -- I sent out my colony ship to a world before my culture could support taking that world. My culture will not be high enough when it arrives, either. What will happen to it? Will it sit in orbit until my culture is high enough? Or do I have to send it out-and-back?
Old 01/02/2004, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Hey runner.

The same thing happened to me. I sent 3 colony ships with 3 destroyers. They arrived before my culture level was ok to take on another planet. They stayed in orbit - it said the planet was under seige and I could not take over. Even after my culture value was updated it still would not take over the planet. I ended up sending them all to another planet and they took it over with no problem.

Not sure why this happened anyone else encounter this?
Old 01/02/2004, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

your culture lvl must be high enough when the colony ship is launched to take that planet - you can send the colony ship that is now orbitting to the sameplanet its on and ittakes a few hrs but then u get the planet
Old 01/02/2004, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys...any advice for a new guy?? I started 2 and a half days ago. this is what I have so far (see below). I am planet one in a world of 12. There are three other people on 4, 7, and 10. The players on 7 and 10 were idle so long that I thought they left, and they started after me. Thankfully they logged back in today, and now both have pops of 3 and starbases of 2. Does anyone know how much longer the game will last? This will be very very important in deciding what I do. I could use some advice. thanks.

Population lvl 7
Hydroponic Farm 6
Robotic Factory 8
Galactic Cybernet 3
Research Lab 5
Starbase 4
Production is +15 per hour

Science (+12 per hour)
Biology 4
Economy 0
Energy 5
Mathematics 2
Physics 0
Social 7
Culture (+3 per hour)
Culture 1

Last edited by sammystingray; 01/02/2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01/02/2004, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Also, there is an unknown planet in the next system, and I believe I read they can sometimes give you artifacts, so should I go for that, or a free planet in my own system first?? I am lucky enough to be the most senior player in my system, but not by much...........maybe about 14 hours. I have the week off from work though, and have had plenty of time to keep up on things. I think I should just keep getting my PP rate up until it's nice and high, and then go crazy building a fleet, but I am so tempted to start working on other things!

Last edited by sammystingray; 01/02/2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01/02/2004, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

when u can take out one of thoseother players so you can upgrade to player level 1 - then u get an SU which is (right now) worth over 400PP which is HUGE for you this early on

the game should last a few more months - thats what i've gathered.

oh and i'd get your GCs up since conquest and colonization is fun
Old 01/02/2004, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

sammy, These games are supposed to last about three months. I wouldn't spread out to another system just yet, you'll be spreading yourself thin and it'll be hard to defend or re-take you planet if someone nabs it from you.
Old 01/02/2004, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

OK, thanks guys. The player on 4 seems to have joined and left, and may not come back. He's been idle for two days. [b]Is that planet a waste since he probably won't log back in? What should I try to send to the nearest active player described above??
Old 01/02/2004, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

you can take that idle player and get an easy 5 exp

10 ds is plenty - you are right that attacking and beating a larger fleet is better but obviously you need more to do it.
Old 01/02/2004, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

I took over a planet from an idler early on and it wasn't worth it. You get 5 exp points for killing the starbase though...
Old 01/02/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Best advice... Push out Colony ships, 3 of them, and try to take a planet as soon as your culture lets you (not just launch when your culture goes up but try to time your colony ships to get ther just after you make your next culture point. Take the 30 PPs you get from the two colony ships and punch 'em straight into Robofac... watch your Galactic Cy and rais it a level at time... focus on those right off and as you acquire more planets, switch to some of the other things... try to shoot a 1 planet jump as this will allow you the shortest amount of travel time... I was the last one to satrt in my sytem... and I have half the planets now that everyone is fighting for scraps...
Old 01/02/2004, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

agreed vinsane - did the same thing

killing an idle at first gets you toplayer lvl 1 - thats why doing it early is worth it - after that, not so much
Old 01/02/2004, 06:08 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Im screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
News
21:16:23 - Jan 02 Attention !!! We have evidence of an incoming fleet around that time.
23 Destroyer
going to attack Alpha Arrakis 8!
We suppose its the Fleet of tellop.
10:30:29 - Jan 02 Attention !!! We have evidence of an incoming fleet around that time.
101 Destroyer
going to attack Alpha Arrakis 7!
We suppose its the Fleet of tellop.
10:29:27 - Jan 02 Your defending fleet was defeated by tellop at Alpha Arrakis 7. You killed about 75%.
Quote:
Hostile forces in the orbit of Alpha Arrakis 7!