Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2003, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Free Online Strategy Game

Real Time - Web Based - Massive Multiplayer Free Online Strategy Game

No, I'm not associated with them, but I am playing the game.
Old 12/19/2003, 02:27 AM
Premium Member

Hundreds of players are in. Game is taking off a little slow, but as it builds steam is getting much faster. This will certainly keep you busy all night if you're up...
Old 12/19/2003, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Whats the premise of the game?
totally free?
Old 12/19/2003, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by srit1
Whats the premise of the game?
totally free?
The stratagy is to build up your planets and take over others. It's a little slow the first day, but I'm glued to the computer here on day 2, lots of stuff to do!

Yeah, totally free. It's in Beta 4, but will probably go commercial in a few releases. Check it out, it's a great timekiller at work!
Old 12/19/2003, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I just joined and agree that it is very slow at first. I tend to have a lot of time at work, so maybe this will give me something else to do to pass the time.
Old 12/19/2003, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

It starts to speed up on day 2 and 3. I almost didn't get any work done today
Old 12/21/2003, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

can you explain the population part of it to me? My Social Science is 3 but my population is only 2... why doesnt it go up to 6?
Old 12/21/2003, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Social Science bumps up your Maximum population limit. If you want to increase population faster bump your levels up in Hydroponics first and that'll give you more +'s toward your population. Best thing to do is bump the Robotics Factory up a bunch of levels first, and that'll give you more Production Points per hours to build other stuff.
Old 12/22/2003, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

awesome! thanks
Old 12/22/2003, 10:32 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

For those who are interested in turn-based space conquest games, go check out StarCon:

http://www.strategyguild.com/

It has just been developed over the last year and just got its (hopefully) final tweeks. They said they might start charging $5 per month sometime in the future, but so far the turns are free for as many games as you wish to join.

You make one move every 2 weeks (typically). Turns are received in text and XML formats. Some players have made mapping and turn-sheet generation software that is in beta and is free for the moment, anyway.

I'd love to see fresh players in the game pool. Come by and take a look.
Old 12/23/2003, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

justlet,
why didnt you put the refer a friend link here instead of the straight up link?

also IT TAKES forever to upgrade culture - im all ready to take my first free planet and i cant go yet due to culture restraints
Old 12/23/2003, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

good game. maybe all the RC people should form an alliance.
Old 12/23/2003, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

no doubt we should

but what are the chances that we are near eachother
Old 12/24/2003, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

srit- try increasing your galactic cybernets. i've been in it for almost 3 days now and im almost ready to go just a couple more days. i should be able to go once i get back.
Old 12/25/2003, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

yeah i know.. it just takes forever - im up to 2 now and will have mysecond planet in 6 hours =) already sent the fleet

this IS fun
Old 12/25/2003, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Stephen, I did put the referal link up. It doesn't give you much of a culture boost anyway, but every little bit counts. I finally got my second planet up and running well and about to take over my third. Too bad the SU's aren't worth anything right now, I'm sitting on two of them that I don't want to sell because the price will start going back up again.

I'm all for an RC alliance! That would be sweet! How many players do we have here?
Old 12/26/2003, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

I started a couple of days ago. Any hints or tips to get off to a good start?
Old 12/26/2003, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dodofish
I started a couple of days ago. Any hints or tips to get off to a good start?
Well, I just started this round also. I can tell you to start off by bumping your Robotics Factory & Farms up to about level 6 before messing with anything else. Your Culture level will hold you back when ready to expand, so start up a Galactic Cybernet asap. Also, change that research off of the default Biology and put it to Social for now to have a higher population cap. You won't need Biology until later when you go to take over other star systems.

Got any questions please ask, we can get a little strategy discussion going on here

What levels are you guys up to? I'm level three so far, got three planets that are starting to speed things up quite a bit. Working on my level 4 culture so I can take over planet #4, which I currently have under seige.
Old 12/26/2003, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Here are my levels.
population 3
farm 1
Robotic 3
cybernet 7
research lab 0
starbase 2

Science
biology 6
Culture 1

I change my science to social.

So you think I should spend all my PP on robotic and farms for now?
Old 12/26/2003, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I'd bump Robotics & Farms up to about 6, then start spending elsewhere. They are your PP producers so you want to get them up so you can spend more dough on stuff later on. With that high cybernet you'll be able to start another planet pretty quick, so that will work to your advantage. Things start to take off when you have multiple planets contributing.
Old 12/26/2003, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Thanks that makes sense. Is there a setting that will automatically spend the PP into category that you select so that you can build faster?
Old 12/26/2003, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

I wish there was, but unfortunately no. I can tell you there's no advantage to spending a point at a time, wait until they accumulate enough to give you a full upgrade and then spend them. This will also allow you to have them in reserve to upgrade a SB or something in case of an attack.
Old 12/26/2003, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

My main planet is pop 10, hydro 8, robo lab 10
second planet is pop 6, hydro 7, robo 7

Culture will be hitting 3 in just a few hours, and my fleet should be arriving at my new planet just a hair before that.

I'm all for an alliance!

This is a fun game.. a little slow for the first couple days, but after that, it's ON!!

Joe
Old 12/26/2003, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Hey Joe, what's your coordinance? I'm at 42/-1. Anyone else nearby?
Old 12/26/2003, 02:28 PM
Reef Geek

I couldn't live with myself if I didn't post www.gunbound.net simply the best free online game I've ever played. Totally addictive.