Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/12/2001, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Talking

Canadian said everybody looks so old and I said everybody looks so young! I guess it depends on what side of 30 you are coming from.

Yes, yes, I am working on finding a pic - had to hunt for a new washing machine this weekend and get Fishhub off to North Carolina so he could take care of Dad (94 years old) after his rotator cuff surgery. Now that's (94) the down side of 30!!!!

Laurie

Ouch, what's that burning sensation in my finger tips? Is it nematocysts? Is it electricity? NOOO! It's...PAPERCUTS!!!
Old 02/12/2001, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I'm the chubby one on the right.

Old 02/12/2001, 09:28 PM
Triggerhappy

To O'man, I thought the snout looked a lil' too pointed for a dusky, but thought maybe it was just water distortion. So tell me, how hard does a big bigeye thresher fight? U know, u aint that far from me Maybe u could take me out sometime eh? I've never done any SW fishing before. Could be really awesome to land a monster!!
Old 02/12/2001, 10:13 PM
10 & Over Club

Hey Lori:

That dead thing is a thresher shark, actually a big-eye thresher. Good to eat. BTW, good thread
Brian

FishBait:
With that name, I'm sure our fishing crew could find a use for you
They fight well, that one took my buddy about an hour and a quarter to get in. I only hooked it and gaffed it. They are difficult at boatside. Usually with sharks you only worry about the pointy-end, but that tail complicates things. Took 2 flying-gaffs to get enough control for a tail rope. If you look closely at the "back of the head shot" you will see the primary flying-gaff, and the rope for the secondary.

Serious inshore fishing season, on my boat, starts in May. By the end of the month the striped bass fishing becomes reliable. The last couple of years were good, lots of 20+ pounders, and sometimes 30+, but it has been a while since 40+. Since my boat is only an 18 footer, for offshore I go on a friend's boat. Offshore season is late June/July thru Sept/Oct. We often need crew for offshore, so I will keep it in mind. As for inshore, same deal.
Old 02/12/2001, 10:58 PM
Triggerhappy

Well, guess what...I just finished a really tasty blacktip fillet I didn't know thresher was that paletable. As far as being dangerous at boatside, I know it!! Read a story where a guy was actually decapatated by the tail of a large thresher!!

And for what's it's worth, I'd settle for a 20lb striper any day
Old 02/13/2001, 02:37 PM
Moved On

Fishwife and Family

Posting this for Laurie....another good looking crew!
If anyone else wants a pic posted, send it to me.

Old 02/13/2001, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Fishwife,
I thought you said you were old. You look young to me.
-Steve
Old 02/13/2001, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Steve - What a sweetie. That pic was 4 years and about 10 lbs. ago. That's Fishhub and Fishkid next to him. Fishkid's friend is on the end. I guess we all look pretty much the same except Fishkid is now taller than Fishhub and no longer uses the "hiding the braces" smile.

It really is fun "seeing" everybody who I have talking to for so long. Thanks for coming up with the idea, Lori.

Laurie

Ouch, what's that burning sensation in my finger tips? Is it nematocysts? Is it electricity? NOOO! It's...PAPERCUTS!!!
Old 02/13/2001, 03:40 PM
Resident Patriot

Well I tested every bit of my computer skills and finally got two pics of me and my wife on the net.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to make them smaller, even after I cropped them in photoshop. So I won't dare post them on this thread here is the link.

http://www.geocities.com/sigsreef/Si...l?982097031990

The pic on top is one of me inside my own private fish tank.

The second is me with my wife and better half Kim.
Old 02/13/2001, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

I think Lori is gorgeous, don't you all agree?
Old 02/13/2001, 05:13 PM
Former WRS President

I agree Pinkskunk. Signu here is your pic. You could make it smaller by reducing it to 72 dpi. It was at 300 dpi. eric

Old 02/13/2001, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Talking

I agree Pinkskunk - don't you just hate her?!?! Those California girls - hehehe!

Sig - that is a very nice picture of you and your wife but what is with the SPEEDO balloon in the other picture?

I have to say - we reefers are not at all a motley crew (or would that be CRUE?) - I used to think fish people (at least the ones hanging around the tanks in the WalMart) were a bunch of dorks but I dare say, I don't see a dorky sole in the bunch.

Perhaps it's just that the folks who frequent RC are a cut above. Don'tcha think?

Laurie

Old 02/13/2001, 10:17 PM
Resident Patriot

Ahh DPI that is the only thing I didn't try.

Lori- the speedo thing is a swim cap, I was (kinda still am) a swimmer in college. You learn all kind of stupid thing to do with swim caps, that is just one of them.

Government is not the solution to our problems, it is our problem..... Ronald Reagan
Old 02/13/2001, 10:18 PM
Pulling my hair out

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishwife
I used to think fish people (at least the ones hanging around the tanks in the WalMart) were a bunch of dorks but I dare say, I don't see a dorky sole in the bunch.

Perhaps it's just that the folks who frequent RC are a cut above. Don'tcha think?

Laurie
Keep in mind that we haven't seen RJ's picture yet

Q!!!
Old 02/13/2001, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Laurie...
Your a doll, sporty and sprite! You have a bright smile just like I knew you would. For some reason I had you pegged (your look). You're right, what a great group of people. So diverse, yet all seem to be playful, happy, and comfortable with life. Reefers are a cut above. By the way, don't buy your fish at Walmart anymore ... the dorks go there.

Sig...
Nice freckle! J/K... our web guru, Eric, fixed it for you and what a beautiful couple you and Kim make. I too, swam in HS and college ... swim caps can do some very interesting things, huh?

O'man,
You catch em and I'll eat 'em. Why anyone would want to throw a hook in the sea and take a chance of getting whacked in the head by a shark tail is beyond me. You're a thrill seeker!! If you plan a trip to catch less harmful or peaceful fish count me in... I'd love to go with a bunch of RC members. I'll bring the wine!

Pinkskunk,
Thank you!! (blushing) are you single?? (he he) and where the heck is your picture ... pretty please.

You know who is still missing is Mike (or is it mark) the moderator that has "founder" under his name. He is from here in CA (Visalia I think) I watch his words carefully, love his point of view. JohnL or Larry, Can you help round him up? And if anyone else notices someone missing, post there names so we can pester them to come play.

By the way have you all sent your pics to IV? He's building a web page for us. What a nice guy!

having fun!
Happy Valentines Day
~lori

[Edited by lori344 on 03-06-2001 at 10:30 PM]
Old 02/15/2001, 05:38 PM
que sais-je

Well since HFF posted one of his long hair pics I guess I should too!! I would be the one sitting down.
Old 02/15/2001, 06:15 PM
Guakamolian Nemesis

Talking

Well,

I had not noticed this thread until today. This is too funny!

Here is me:

Keep on reefing!!!

Carlos

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."

Last edited by Carlos; 10/08/2001 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02/15/2001, 07:15 PM
Reefkeeping Ninja

Hi Lori,

This is a cool thread!

Here I am.

I shaved the beard and got a haircut since this pic but you get the idea.

Doug

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."-- Confucius
Old 02/15/2001, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Don't call me dorky
Old 02/15/2001, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Oops, sorry Frisco, I didn't know you bought your fish at WalMart
~lori
Old 02/16/2001, 12:08 AM
Reefaholic

Holy Mackerel!!!! i go out of town for 4 days and my website gets like an additional 100 hits. lol. I was wondering why and then Los pointed me to this thread just tonite. hahaha. And i thought everyone was visiting it to actually check out my tank!! . This is a great idea...and Lori, this definitely does give me some additional ammo to add to my site..hehe. For those of you who havent checked out my site yet here is my pic. Keep em comin'!!! And Lori...nice drivers license..hehe..its good to see that you're also an organ donor.

Old 02/16/2001, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Hi MrSandman,
I was wondering where you were Too much fun, huh? There are still so many people missing too! Even a few people that posted to the thread but didn't leave their mugshot behind like; Canadian (who's promised to after midterms) Evets (a baby pic won't cut it sweetie), Niven, pinkskunk, IVpush.
And others who I hope find this thread soon...
Tadashi, Nathan, Stealth, Moviegeek, RWD, JSM, DougLowey, ReefJunkie, Smpolyp, Kasesq, BammBamm, Psyduck, gas4544, Snailman, SteveRichardson, alittletank, reef125, biosystems, bigtank, Joez, slojmn, 6-line, Mike (our moderator/founder), rcraw45425, skipper, rhwimmers, ninong, Doug1, dougL, reefmanic, Northcoast, bjmumy, wayne, hughem, BMW, BrianD, Fox, DJReef, bigben, Ricoj, Planoi, David Grigor, Christy Grigor, Fishwish, greenbud, Joeyz, Ironreef, Cap'n Mac, Goodgreef, coralhound, and many more... any ideas on how to round 'em up?? Let's keep them rolling in guys!
In another thread Larry was saying that RC plans to have a members page with pics of everyone on it... that will be nice.
~lori
Old 02/17/2001, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Hmm, that probably wasn't a good idea. Here's a real (blurry) picture of me. It's all I got right now.

[Edited by Sea Dragon on 02-17-2001 at 03:17 AM]
Old 02/17/2001, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Here's Reef Junkie. Sorry Hon, I cut out the two blondes... to me you look better without them!
~lori
Old 02/17/2001, 10:01 AM
Pulling my hair out

Oh poor Lori, now you've gone & ruined this fine thread!

Q!!!