Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/31/2007, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

plumbing problem!

so I am setting up a 38gal display with a 20L sump. I set it up with one inch drain and 3/4 return with a mag3. This gives me around 300 gph which is good for my setup. My problem is that I did a test run today and everything is so loud. It seems like the drain is flowing way to much for my pump to keep up. I put a ball valve on the drain to slow the flow down, but I can find a happy medium. Either the flow is too much and everything is noisy or there is not enough flow and the display will overflow. Should I switch the drain to 3/4. If I were to do this, I have drilled a hole for a one inch bulkhead obviously so can I just neck the pipe down to 3/4 out of the one inch bulkhead. Does anyone have any advice for me. Thanks for any help.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:04 PM
Movin On Up

Do you have a overflow box in the inside the tank? This will help control the amount of water going into your drain. You also don't want a valve on the drain. It should be able to handle more than you put back through the return. Anything else is asking for a flood. Show some pics of what you have. A durso or something may help quiet it down, but you need to address the other first.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/31/2007, 09:13 PM
Movin On Up

Ok, after reading a few times take the valve off the drain, if you need one to slow the flow, put it on the return. Then look into either:

1.http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson...struction.html

or

2.http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Old 12/31/2007, 09:16 PM
Master of Funk

dont restrict the drain! If the water cant go down the overflow, it will go over the sides of tank.

I think your flow is good. Give it a little time to slime up and it should quiet down.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Yes I have an internal overflow box. and the drain is like the durso stand pipe but goes out the back wall instead of the bottom. the main part of the noise comes from the end cap that sits above the water. There is a hole in the end cap where the noise is. I will post pics later tonight.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:36 PM
Movin On Up

If it's somewhat new, like Poppin said, let it slime up for a week or so. Still you need to remove the valve from the drain, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

Old 12/31/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

there is no way that a 300 gph pump should push too much water for a 1 inch drain. a 1" drain should be good for around 600gph. If you are getting noise, then you are probaly getting a siphon on the drain, instead of gravity doing the work. which the hole in the top of the cap is supposed to keep this from happening. how big is the hole in the cap? sometimes the hole needs to be enlarged to correct the siphon problem.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:56 AM
Premium Member

I don't think it is that the hole is too small. I can take the cap off and the drain works the same and noise is still the same. Here is a couple pictures.
IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff211/jeremyj0247/IMG_0358.jpg[/IMG]

I will remove the one ball valve. The other one below the T is to direct water to the fuge which is on the left. skimmer is right and return in middle. There is also a lot of noise you can hear from the pipes as the water crashes down. How does my setup look?besides the top ball valve. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:58 AM
Premium Member

here is another pic of overflow.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

from my experience, not having the cap on, and not having the right size hole, will have the same effect. you have to find the sweet spot with the hole size to make it silent.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Is there anything I can put under my pump to reduce vibrating noise. The hole in my end cap is about 3/8ths. I will try a new cap and start with a smaller hole and go up till I can find the sweet spot, If I can find it. How yeah salty55, hope your not a sooners fan.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

this is my plumbing revision

This way works better, but there is still a lot of noise from the water falling down the pipe. Does this noise ever reduce any with the build up of slime? Thanks for the help.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Is it am intermitant flushing noise or a continuos gurgle?
Old 01/06/2008, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

continuos gurgle.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

I had trouble with mine and was finally able to get it quiet by adjusting the height and angle that the outflow dumped into the sump(for mine getting the pipe about paralel to the water and about 2inches under finally worked). And by using a john geust valve on the top of the durso to adjust the air flow.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

what is a john guest valve?
Old 01/11/2008, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

http:///www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...351~tab~2.html

The one I have one of the ends is threaded and is screwed into a pvc cap on the top of the durso. You can then adjust the amount of airflow with the valve.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

How do you guys stand the noise of a tank with a sump? This is my first go at a sump and the noise is out of control. It is just the noise from the water falling down the pipes. I have tried four different setups the last one I have reduced the noise a little. It is not extremly loud but very noticable, and this is in my garage. I know when I set it up in my house it will be even more noticable. I am having second thoughts about putting this in my house now. It just my drive me crazy. Anyone have any thoughts. thanks