Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Can I see your 20g Long sumps/ refugiums?

Ive read alot on sumps in here and Im trying to find Ideas for my 20 gallon long sump. Can I see yours? I would like to see what you guys are doing, and what size tank your 20 gallon long sump/ refugium is holding up. Thanks in advance.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I put a single baffle in the middle of mine. one side holds a recirc skimmer with the skimmer output feeding the refugium on the other side.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Ahh I see. Any pics? Why not 3 chambers?
Old 01/03/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

I have a 20L under my tank right now. I have 3 separate chambers. On the right side is about a 6" section for a skimmer (sitting outside the sump). On the left side is a 10" or 11" area for the refuge. The center section is for the return area. So it goes skimmer, 2 baffles, return, 3 baffles, and fuge. Sorry, I dont have pics of it right off hand.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REFFERMAN
Ahh I see. Any pics? Why not 3 chambers?
I wanted as large a refugium as possible. My skimmer chamber holds the return pump as well. the baffle is acrylic siliconed from the bottom of the tank to an inch below the top. This keeps the sand in the fuge and the water evel stable

In my opinion people really overdo baffles. Unless you have a skimmer dumping microbubbles, I don't see the use...
Old 01/06/2008, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Might be a lil hard to see the whole thing, but here's mine. There are two baffles, one 8" tall that is behind the wood and the other is 5" with plastic light diffuser cut to fit on the top to keep the chaeto in the middle.

Still waiting on my skimmer, but that first section will fit an Octo, Euro-Reef, ASM or whatever plus the heater.

People do overdo baffles, I get 0 micro bubbles in my tank (tested with a friends skimmer). All you need are the baffles to seperate your areas, not those three stagered ones you see alot of people using.