Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/03/2002, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Question why does a sump have "sections" ?

The word "sump" still scares me for some reason, but my desire to relocate all the unattractive equipment to a sump hidden in the stand underneath is making me consider the switch.
My question is about the "sections" that I've seen built into sumps. What is their purpose? What is the best design?
My plan is simple, to place the heater and skimmer in this sump with maybe some LR rubble and critters that are undesirable for the main tank (just noticed a "hairy" crab the other day, let the hunt begin).
Also if you have any fail safe tips for the plumbing design... that would be appreciated. I don't even want to think about what the wife would say if I flood the living room.
Thanks,
kev-dog
Old 07/03/2002, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

take a look at my website it is in the DIY section. If you have the chance/ability put the sump in another room preferably with a cement floor. I am a big fan of large external sumps. Spilling water is not an issue.
Old 07/05/2002, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Ken
If only I had the basement space to imitate your system. Under my tanks is only crawl space (dirt) and not convenient to get to. Extra space in general is non-existent in my house. Maybe when we shop for our next house I can plan for a set-up like yours.

I am still interested in someones views/reasoning for the multi-sectioned sump. Why does a sump have partitions?
Anyone?

Kev-dog
Old 07/05/2002, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Sump is a rather generic term. Sumps come in many different designs. Some use seperate compartments to baffle water flow and give bubbles time to escape the water column. Some use sections to separate equipment or maintain a refugium with rock or sand in one part of the sump, seperate from equipment like pumps. It depends on the design of the sump.
Old 07/05/2002, 11:20 AM
X-Men X-Man

Really for several reasons....First is obviously to control equipment, such as a heater...it would need a different level to be completly submerged...whereas a skimmer may not work well in the same water level as a heater...also the chambers help control bubbles from being returned to your tank.

There is also the issue of allowing enough room for overflows in the event of a power outage or maintaining shut down. If you were running an exterior water pump and not a submegered you want to keep your "criiters" away from the return pump so they wouldn't end up hamburger in your tank...If you were to have a drian dumping water in a sump with no baffles the bubbles would be picked up immediatly and returned to your tank,,,not to good looking...I am sure there are hundreds of other reasons too.

I once built a 65 gallon sump that had chambers for everything there was even a dressing room for my fish LOL...anyway keep it simple and you will enjoy some freedoms it gives you and beside as you said the ugly equipment is not to be seen....HTH

Old 07/05/2002, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

okay - that helps a bit. thanks undrwata & Randy V
what I'm thinking of doing is relatively simple, a sump for added volume and to house equipment like a heater and skimmer.
i've heard people complain about bubbles. Can anyone link me to a basic diagram of these baffles to control the bubbles?
kev-dog
Old 07/05/2002, 11:52 AM
X-Men X-Man

Do a search for sumps and you will be overwelmed at all the variations....Just keep it simple.